• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: CAA Studies Target New Areas In ME/CFS

:victory:Wow Cort - so much going on in the US now - very heartening it all is too. :victory:

Actually you are the only ones who can pull together - too many influential egos here.

:victory:Wow Cort - so much going on in the US now - very heartening it all is too. :victory:

Actually you are the only ones who can pull together - too many influential egos here.

With the metagenomics and Lipkin studies both completing in the next year, (preliminary results for the Lipkin study this fall reportedly) we should know alot about pathogens in CFS in the next 12 months. It'll be a big year for CFS. I looked at the FDA database (Biovista project) (with probably lots of duplications) - over 5,000 drugs in there - I imagine there are several thousand actual drugs....lots of room to pick up something that might work.

Getting there Cort (thanks to your work and all who know this illness).

Our research (ME) in particular areas has revealed/opened a whole new world of understanding of closely related illnesses. Maybe we have contributed quite a lot to that too.

Just fascinating Cort! Such a a hopeful time for us, I feel like we are actually getting down to the very core of why we feel so bad. Thank you for your detailed descriptions of all the studies, I find that I have to read and reread articles many times in order to understand it all, your breakdown is so helpful!

'Smush'ing researchers? I'd like to have a go at that!

Nice feature Cort, thanks. Do you have any more info on the microbiome project you mentioned? I know the NIH are involved in a big study, is it related to that? Dr Rowe's study really strikes a chord too.

'Smush'ing researchers? I'd like to have a go at that!

Nice feature Cort, thanks. Do you have any more info on the microbiome project you mentioned? I know the NIH are involved in a big study, is it related to that? Dr Rowe's study really strikes a chord too.

'Smushing researchers'...:D:D:D (sometimes you just gotta have fun)...I wonder what kind of smoothie they would make...:rolleyes:

There is a 'big' NIH study going on which Dr. Peterson is participating in but I don't know what's in it. It appears to be quite big and quite rigorous....

I'll put some links up to the studies...The CAA has said that more info on the metagenome study and on their collaboration with Logosomix startup will be out soon.

Smoothie... hmmm. Alan Light and Broderick for example might make A.Light-Icky smoothie. Yuk!

Sorry Cort, I was getting confused. The NIH is involved with a big microbiome (gut-bug) study. I thought somebody had got some ME/CFS bods involved. I misread your post.

I'd be interested to see the links to the studies at some point, ta very much.

I see - gut-bugs...actually the CAA did fund a metabiome study in their last grant package. Dr. Vernon said the results of that study are due this fall.

Links are up at the bottom of each little section except for the metagenome study - the CAA has not provided more information on that yet.

I was wondering how I would rank these studies - its a toughie...

1. Cook/PEM study would go first because it could validate the Light work and show problems in the brain caused by exercise.
2. Biovista - this could be a washout or big hit or something in-between but I love the idea of doing an organized search on the 1,000's of drugs in the FDA database...there are way too many drugs being used for very different purposes than they were originally intended for this study not to have a huge upside.
3. Rowe - because I think muscle 'work' does trigger nerves to induce pain and because he has lots of data already. I only wish he was able to get at the source of it but that will come next.
4. Medow - brain fog- I like the fact that he is actually testing substances that should increase blood flows - very practical study
5. McGowan - epigenetics - the fact that these receptors are everywhere and that studies have shown there are problems in this area and that he is looking from the immune side - all intriguing. Dr. Vernon said he was able to leverage another grant to take a full at the epigenetics - otherwise they would never have been able to fund it.