• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Facebook Timeline Covers for ME/CFS Awareness?

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
What is the actual size of the timeline banner, in pixels? We should be creating all the images in the right size to avoid Facebook stretching/cropping it and keep in mind that the bottom left corner gets covered with the small square picture. The small square picture could be a separate image of the blue ribbon.

Nielk

It's confusing. When I tried to upload a picture it said it has to be 399 pixel wide but the I read somewhere else:

Upload a Timeline Cover :: 850 Pixels X 315 Pixels

So, I don't know. Maybe someone else does?

Calathea

This particular cover is 823 x 413. Maybe it's been automatically resized on the forum? Anyway, should I try resizing it very slightly? Nielk, I'll send you the version you liked in a private message to see if that helps at all.

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
This is the message that Facebook gives you when trying to upload the cover:

"Pick a unique photo to feature at the top of your Page timeline.
Note: This space is not meant for promotions, coupons or advertisements. Your cover photo should not be primarily text-based or infringe on anyone else's copyright. Learn more about choosing a cover photo."

Calathea

Yes, I wondered about that too. We've been merrily snaffling world maps off the internet without bothering about copyright. I have no idea what the chances would be of someone finding our banner, noticing that several other people have it, and then managing to spot that we've pinched and altered someone else's map. Perhaps we should just alter the map beyond all reasonable recognition!

Incidentally, assuming that we can do this and that Facebook is not about to start persecuting anyone with an ME timeline banner, I think we should just take off that image with the eyes, for the sake of simplicity when messing around with it all.

I eventually got the timeline myself (not keen, I must say) and tried uploading pictures. I had to go for one of the older ones because otherwise the text got cut off. I'm not sure if this is because I use No Squint to increase the image/text size on Facebook, but it doesn't look differently proportioned when I change it back to 100% zooming. One thing I've noticed, though, is that the image quality really isn't good enough at that size, probably because of the way I recoloured the sea, there are fuzzy bits around all the edges. Is there anyone who knows how to use Photoshop and can do a better job of this? I might also try doing something with the original width of the image, rather than cropping the left and right as I did originally.

Purple - sorry I missed you yesterday. I do wish PR would email me or make a pinging noise or something when I get private messages, I often miss them for days on end.

Nielk

I thought that I read that if you want to promote a non-profit organization - that's fine.
Maybe we can limit the wording.

Calathea

Good point - we're not advertising anything. It's infringing on copyright with the photo, and it's rather text-based, but the photo is so general (and with any luck can be edited out of recognition) that I doubt they'd be all that bothered. "Drink Coca-Cola!" would have been a different matter.

Here's the latest version, where I've been changing the colours globally over the image, rather than doing a bucket fill for the background which had led to fuzziness around the edges. It's still not all that great, but it's better than before. Africa is a bit detailed and gets a bit too light, and Australia is coming out an odd colour in this version. Possibly we need to find another map to work with from the start.

world-map-896 darker.jpg

world-map-896.jpg

I'll try further messing around with it all later this afternoon.

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
I propose we set up a group on PR, away from the main forum, and discuss all the nuts-and-bolts technicalities of creating these covers there, without cluttering the main forum with it. And only use this thread to update others of progress. What do you think, Calathea & Nielk & anyone else closely involved?

Nielk

I propose we set up a group on PR, away from the main forum, and discuss all the nuts-and-bolts technicalities of creating these covers there, without cluttering the main forum with it. And only use this thread to update others of progress. What do you think, Calathea & Nielk & anyone else closely involved?

Sounds good. Do you know how to set that up?

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
The group has been set up - please PM me if you would like to be included. Thank you!