• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleeping pills as cause of death

Andrew

First, this news story as it is written makes no sense. It says that sleeping pill users are 5 times more likely to die. Following that logic, it means that people who don't take sleeping pills are 5 times more likely to live forever.

So would this be premature deaths, and how premature. The article says they factored in whether people who take pills are sicker, and therefore more likely to die, but I have no information other than that. Considering that many of us have shattered sleep and take sleeping pills, I thought I should post this. If someone knows the actual research, please let me know.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/St...More-Likely-to-Die-than-Others-140775113.html

Firestormm

Morning Andrew,

Take a look/listen to this from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177005

The headline has prompted much debate about sensationalism. Indeed the headline featured in the BBC news yesterday but in interview they questioned the research behind it and even talked about sensationalist claims that were unsupported by evidence. Didn't stop them running with the headline though!

Many reasons of course why people might need sleeping pills and many reasons why they are prescribed them without apparent follow-up as to cause for sleeplessness. In my experience obtaining sleeping pills for ME sleep dysfunction never worked so I don't think based on my experience these things are handed out like smarties, but I do wonder if enough is done to investigate the cause before writing a prescription. Same old same old.

N.B. Here's the full paper: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000850.full

Nielk

Based on this article, my days are numbered. Actually, I probably over-extended my welcome already.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
the other side of the coin, lack of sleep causes immune problems which increases a persons risk of cancer, maybe the person using sleeping pills dont have their sleep treated fully, so not the pills but the poor sleep that increases their death rate???????????????????????

Im on borrowed time too then?

Nielk

the other side of the coin, lack of sleep causes immune problems which increases a persons risk of cancer, maybe the person using sleeping pills dont have their sleep treated fully, so not the pills but the poor sleep that increases their death rate???????????????????????

Im on borrowed time too then?

Aren't we lucky?

Nielk

Dammed if we do and dammed if we dont.

I will stick with my pills as i feel ten times crappier without any sleep.

Me too. I don't really have a choice. I can't sleep at all without them. That's not really an option.