• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any suggestions for depression? Preferably natural supplements

Ivana

Hey guys

My depression due to M.E has become sooo bad, just wondering if anyone knows of anything that helps (natural supplements?)

I was on Prozac but my doctor advised me to slowly get off it, so I did. I am more depressed now and really need something.. I have heard 5htp helps..?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

Best Wishes,
Ivana

Andrew

I wonder why your doctor wanted you to stop something that is helping.

Here's what I did. I went to a psychiatrist (because they specialize in this type of medication). He tried one after another until we found one that worked well for me. Gave each one a reasonable length of time. One thing I learned along the way is that Paxil is not something to just stop cold. A taper off was needed in my case. I think we tried four different ones.

Be advised that what works for one person, might have negative results with another. I'm taking Wellbutrin.

Valentijn

I think Andrew has good advice. Something else you could do is get your neurotransmitter levels tested, and use that to narrow down your options a bit.

An MD that is also a naturopathic/allopathic doctor could be helpful both in getting that testing and in finding natural antidepressants, plus they'll also have the option of prescribing pharmaceutical antidepressants if it's necessary.

Gavman

id download: http://www2.psy.unsw.edu.au/groups/dass/down.htm - The DASS chart and figure out if you have a tendency towards anxiety or depression moreso. And take it to someone who can help.

Potential supplements to help depression:

Fish oil
Magnesium
5htp
SAMe

The problem with 5htp and SAMe, is that they are expensive. $50 a bottle for a month.

Ivana

Thanks for all that, guys!

Ive also heard that St Johns Wort interferes with heaps of meds, but ill try some of the other stuff.

pamb

Hi,

I asked the same question here Dec 25th (looking back I guess it's no surprise I posted the question on Christmas Day!) and received some excellent suggestions from people here. I don't know how to figure out the URL but if you search for a thread, started by pamb with title "Can't tolerate SSRI's - other suggestions for depression?" you'll find lots of good stuff.

Good Luck with with it. I sure agree it is a challenge to keep away from the dark side with this thing.

dannybex

Some people can't tolerate it, but SAM-e works for me, and very quickly, usually within 2 days or less. I take 400-800mgs a day...some take 200mgs, and others up to 1600mgs.

It's made naturally by the body, but can become depleted. It's also involved in methylation issues, and helps provide ATP.

Bob

Hi,

I asked the same question here Dec 25th (looking back I guess it's no surprise I posted the question on Christmas Day!) and received some excellent suggestions from people here. I don't know how to figure out the URL but if you search for a thread, started by pamb with title "Can't tolerate SSRI's - other suggestions for depression?" you'll find lots of good stuff.

Good Luck with with it. I sure agree it is a challenge to keep away from the dark side with this thing.

To post a link to a thread, all you have to do is go to that thread, then 'copy' the url from the top of the web-browser, and then 'paste' it into your post.

To 'copy': highlight all the text and then click on 'ctrl' and 'c' at the same time.

To 'paste': place the cursor where you want to place the text, then click on 'ctrl' and 'v' at the same time. (To remember this, think of 'v' as a downwards-pointing arrow.)

Bob

Hi Ivana,

In my long-history of depression, and experimenting with natural supplements, the only natural product that has ever worked for me is a couple of top-quality brands of St. John's Wort. And although I find that St Johns Wort can be extremelly effective at treating depression, even the best brands can be unpredictable and so they aren't always effective in my experience.

But I would never recommend St John's Wort to anyone because it has so many serious side-effects and drug interactions, including interacting with female contraception.

I've tried all the other recommended natural supplements, over a long period of time, and nothing ever worked... But everyone is different, of course, and some people with very mild or transient depression might find some supplements useful.

For depression, I would always advise seeing a doctor immediately and getting some proper anti-depressants.
They aren't perfect, but SSRI's don't usually have bad side-effects, and tricyclics can help with sleep if that is a problem.
In my personal experience it's far better to be taking a prescription anti-depressant than being depressed.

I totally agree with Andrew's suggestion, but you don't necessarily need to see a psychiatrist to get an antidepressant that suits you... You could start with your family doctor...

I wonder why your doctor wanted you to stop something that is helping.

Here's what I did. I went to a psychiatrist (because they specialize in this type of medication). He tried one after another until we found one that worked well for me. Gave each one a reasonable length of time. One thing I learned along the way is that Paxil is not something to just stop cold. A taper off was needed in my case. I think we tried four different ones.

Be advised that what works for one person, might have negative results with another. I'm taking Wellbutrin.

ramakentesh

Rhodiola rosea but has interactions with other meds. Sceletium is also a very mild SSRI. Some folks rve about inositol.

Vitamin D3. I was deficient and it helped my mood. It's not only a vitamin, it does all kinds of hormone things. It helps a little but it really helps after weeks of using it.

undcvr

I like and take Lithium Orotate, Methylfolate 15mg and Vitamin D3 for my depression. Btw you know how the scent of grapefruit is so refreshing and uplifting, its aroma is recommended for depression in aromatherapy so if you feel better using the scent (massage or shower) and you feel better on grapefruit juice then your depression is caused by a super quick phase 1 liver detox. I can almost guarantee it.

Lithium orotate
green tea
chocolate
getting at least 10 minutes of sunshine in the morning
eliminating gluten, casein, corn, soy, and peanuts
4000-8000 IU daily of vitamin D3
fish oil from uncontaminated fish
caffeine if you can tolerate it

undcvr

ooo yes luv luv luv chocolate and caffeine for feeling better but I know alot of pple here cannot tolerate chocolate cos it can cos a histamine storm, so sorry for mentioning it but there is a reason why Ben and Jerry's has a flavor called "Chocolate Therapy".

@Ivana pure tryptophan (not 5htp) on an empty stomach and away from other proteins really does help will depression. A bit of P5P (active B6) to help along the conversion to serotonin and it helps u sleep and puts u in a good mood the next day too.

I used magic mushrooms (psilocybine) for depression in march this year. So now i am off antidepressive meds and got my live back a little, but the last trip in september was pretty heavy and totally lost my drive motivation to get up and
go.
It is a pretty heavy thing, so recommending it is maybe not a good thing, but when you totally can't take live anymore this is an option to look at. But i will advise you to don't do this alone if you are not familiar with it. Have a friend, family member in the room with you.

sorry for my englisch