• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

intrinsi b12

I'm baffled that this hasn't come to my attention until now but I'm guessing there is a reason. I've found an "intrinsi b12" product that includes intrinsic factor as one of its ingredients. As a lot of you will know, an easily-exhausted amount of IF produced in the gut is what limits the amount of B12 that can be absorbed through oral supplementation. I'm assuming that there is a reason that nobody has tried or thought to supplement IF directly? Until now I just assumed it wasn't something that you could even supplement.

brenda

Hi forbius

If you take the B12 sublingually there is no problem with absorbtion so long as you take them as advised by Freddd. They go straight into the blood.

Hi forbius

If you take the B12 sublingually there is no problem with absorbtion so long as you take them as advised by Freddd. They go straight into the blood.

That's not really true, only a small percentage of the b12 actually makes it into the bloodstream that way. It is, however, better than oral supplementation. This doesn't really address the question I had.

adreno

PR activist
I think it does address your question. When taken sublingually, we don't have to worry about intrinsic factor.

Freddd

That's not really true, only a small percentage of the b12 actually makes it into the bloodstream that way. It is, however, better than oral supplementation. This doesn't really address the question I had.

Hi Forbius,

Sublingual mb12 by Jarrow, which has had extensive testing, can be absorbed at a reliable 25% rate. That means that of a 5mg nominal dose 1250mcg can be absorbed in 2 hours. IF, when used to absorb b12 in the digestive system assures that 5-20mcg of b12 gets absorbed. I don't know the effectiveness of oral IF and how much b12 is absorbed with it but the whole transport system appears to be keyed in to that natural amount that is absorbed via IF. So taking an oral b12 one get about 100% abosrbtion up to avout 5mcg, then about 70% absorbtion fot the next 5mcg absorbed, about 50% absorbed of the next 10mcg and falling off to 1% beyond 100mcg, with 10-15mcg of the first 100mcg absorbed. The IF absorbed b12 is transported in the blood by HTC2. The sublingual appears to be dispersed by diffusion.

Hi Forbius,

Sublingual mb12 by Jarrow, which has had extensive testing, can be absorbed at a reliable 25% rate.

I use Swanson Ultra methylcobalamin, mainly due to the price (8 for 5mgx60, of which I bought 6 bottles a few months ago). Dropped it for a bit recently after experiencing tingling of the scalp and a metallic taste in my mouth when taking 25mg a day and an uneasy physical feeling (not sure of the cause), but will start it up again later. Have you tested this product?

I don't know the effectiveness of oral IF and how much b12 is absorbed with it

Ok. I'll see what the manufacturer has to say.

Freddd

I use Swanson Ultra methylcobalamin, mainly due to the price (8 for 5mgx60, of which I bought 6 bottles a few months ago). Dropped it for a bit recently after experiencing tingling of the scalp and a metallic taste in my mouth when taking 25mg a day and an uneasy physical feeling (not sure of the cause), but will start it up again later. Have you tested this product?

Ok. I'll see what the manufacturer has to say.

Hi Forbius,

I have not tested that product or had any reports of it's effectiveness made in comparison to Jarrow. The Jarrow is at least 100x more effective than some other brands of mb12 so there is all the difference in the world by brand and that had nothing to do with absorbtion rate. If you haven't tried the Jarrow and Enzymatic Therapy you have no idea. No other brands even came close. In all that time only 2 other brands have been reported on that lead me to believe that they may be at least 4 star. Much of the effectiveness of the sublingual b12 is bypassing all sorts of assumptions in the absorption and transport system by flooding the tissues with mb12 by diffusion.

Hi Forbius,

I have not tested that product or had any reports of it's effectiveness made in comparison to Jarrow. The Jarrow is at least 100x more effective than some other brands of mb12 so there is all the difference in the world by brand and that had nothing to do with absorbtion rate. If you haven't tried the Jarrow and Enzymatic Therapy you have no idea. No other brands even came close. In all that time only 2 other brands have been reported on that lead me to believe that they may be at least 4 star. Much of the effectiveness of the sublingual b12 is bypassing all sorts of assumptions in the absorption and transport system by flooding the tissues with mb12 by diffusion.

I may try this product when I finish my current batch. I can only go by subjective response though. I recognise myself responding to my current methylcobalamin so I know that some of it is reaching me.

I'm not sure what you meant by "bypassing assumptions".

Freddd

I may try this product when I finish my current batch. I can only go by subjective response though. I recognise myself responding to my current methylcobalamin so I know that some of it is reaching me.

I'm not sure what you meant by "bypassing assumptions".

Hi forbius,

By "bypassing assumptions" I mean all the things that have to work correctly for b12 to be transported by the active transport system. For oral dosing all these things are assumed to be working correctly and adequately. By being able to permeate the tissues and be available to all the needs it is more rapidly available than it it was forced through the 10mcg keyhole.