• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

symptoms disappear when I get my period or a Cold

Seven7

Seven
Does this happen to anybody else? When I get my period, I feel about normal (for about 3days). My HR goes down to normal, My brain inflammation (balloon like feeling) goes almost all away. I have energy and feel good. About day 5 I am miserable again.

The same when I get a cold.

P.S. (Sorry to the male members)

yes. I have much more energy and less pain when I am coming down with a cold or flu. However when the initial infection is past I am then left much worse off than before with my immune system cycling weekly symptoms until 12 weeks later when I revert back to my pre infection but still horrible state.

Anne

Yeah, i love flu cos it stops my pain. For me this is sign of a latent infection and a suppressed immune system. Will ask my doc about it.

Unfortunately i dont get a flu anymore. So how can we use this knowledge and get our body to start a flu-reaction? With ivig?

Cant say anything about positive effects when getting the period and feel discriminated by nature :)

adreno

PR activist
Cortisol release is higher during colds and infections. As you know, cortisol is anti inflammatory, and this is likely the reason why you feel better. You might benefit from taking an anti inflammatory agent, like curcumin or ibuprofen.

Seven7

Seven
th1 or th2 dominance

TX! I just discovered Advil power! I notice I do feel better if I take it.

Also, how do I know if I am th1 or th2 dominance? I have my pannel but dont know the Exact CD# to know which is which.

I have B cells High and T cells low.

dont think we feel better with flu because of cortisol. cortisol suppresses immune function. i think we are better because immune function is high with flu. but its just a theory.

adreno

PR activist
dont think we feel better with flu because of cortisol. cortisol suppresses immune function. i think we are better because immune function is high with flu. but its just a theory.

Well, this theory is incorrect. Cortisol suppresses TH1 immunity, but upregulates TH2. Essentially, it's an anti-inflammatory:

"Abstract
Evidence accumulated over the last 5-10 years indicates that glucocorticoids (GCs) inhibit the production of interleukin (IL)-12, interferon (IFN)-gamma, IFN-alpha, and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha by antigen-presenting cells (APCs) and T helper (Th)1 cells, but upregulate the production of IL-4, IL-10, and IL-13 by Th2 cells. Through this mechanism increased levels of GCs may systemically cause a selective suppression of the Th1-cellular immunity axis, and a shift toward Th2-mediated humoral immunity, rather than generalized immunosuppression. During an immune response and inflammation, the activation of the stress system, and thus increased levels of systemic GCs through induction of a Th2 shift, may actually protect the organism from systemic "overshooting" with Th1/pro-inflammatory cytokines and other products of activated macrophages with tissue-damaging potential. However, conditions associated with significant changes of GCs levels, such as acute or chronic stress or cessation of chronic stress, severe exercise, and pregnancy and postpartum, through modulation of the Th1/Th2 balance may affect the susceptibility to or the course of infections as well as autoimmune and atopic allergic diseases."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15265778/

Boule de feu

For me, it's the other way around. I'm very sick during my periods. The pain in my legs is unbearable. I can't do anything except lie on the couch and wait for it to pass.

cortisol has nothiing to do with my feeling better when I get a cold. I have addisons disease (adrenal glands don't produce any) and the only cortisol I have is what I take in my meds every day. I think it is an immune system factor.

I'm the same as Boule de feu, feels like I'm walking around with concrete boots on.

Haven't had a cold since relapsing - had several severe bouts of hay fever that have resembled flu but with hives.

maybe when we have a flu its the cytokines that start the immune reaction which help us. maybe giving cytokines (like interferon) could help us? anyone tried it?