• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What the rest of the world is saying about XMRV

K

_Kim_

After looking at the Diagnose Support website that Carla-nl set up for XMRV news around the world, I got curious about what scientists from around the world thought about the XMRV discovery. Below are translations from two of articles that caught my attention. Part funny:D Part scary!!:eek:

Chronic fatigue syndrome - a contagious thing?
This is from a Moscow news source.

Chronic fatigue, which affects tens of millions of people around the world, can be caused by a virus. This assumption has put forward a team of researchers from the National Cancer Institute USA. Does this mean that we all need to stay away from people who look tired?

Physio-immunologist Sergei Vasenin believes the version of the viral nature of CFS unlikely. "Chronic fatigue syndrome in the majority recorded in ecologically unfavorable regions where high levels of environmental pollution by chemical contaminants or elevated levels of radiation - explains the doctor. These factors suppress the immune system, which contributes to the activation of latent viruses, the emergence of viral infection with the defeat of the central nervous system. This explains that in the patient CFS rights can be found a rich variety of viruses, including the rare. Not the fact that the virus here is the root cause of the disease.

Chronic fatigue syndrome. Virus, or just weakness? from a Ukraine news source.

Nelly Artsimovich, professor, head of the Laboratory immunocorrection SRC Institute of Immunology, the first of Russian scientists began to study chronic fatigue syndrome, explained: "CFS - a curable disease. The main thing - do not succumb to despair. Anyone who wants to get better, believe in their strength, must be healed." Professor advises primarily to avoid conflict situations, not to get involved in quarrels and scandals. Try not to keep trouble for a long time in thought, much less take them to heart. Learn how you can quickly switch to the positive, look at all the positive aspects and concentrate on them.

In addition to mental attitude, it is also important to strengthen the immune system. More to visit the open air and even better at home to wear light clothing, from time to time to walk barefoot on the floor. It is also good sponge oneself down with cool water, each time gradually lowering its temperature, but no more than one degree. If you feel that you are starting to tire quickly, try a cold bath for the feet for 5 - 10 minutes. Temperature of water for foot baths at first should be 30 , but gradually the need to reduce it to 15 - 16 . For hardening the body should also rinse your mouth and nose, wash with cold water every morning.
And if you caught a cold or flu, are being treated in good faith. And once again remind: chronic fatigue syndrome, you will not get if you take it a rule to spend every day at least 1 - 1,5 hours in the fresh air. Try to get out every weekend in the woods on the nature or at least in the nearest park. And of course, do not forget about vitamins and minerals. Particularly needed to strengthen the immune and nervous systems of vitamins C, E, B group, as antioxidants A, E "alive" and in the form of pharmaceutical preparations and minerals of potassium, calcium , magnesium, iodine, phosphorus and selenium.

Patient 2

Kim,

Thanks so much for posting. I actually was searching the web for articles in russian/ukrainian news. The russian article is quoting wrong findings though, they say about 30% of CFS patients were found with XMRV!!! It's interesting that it suggests radiation as possible cause...

The second article is just annoying. You will not get CFS if you get fresh air every day! Seriously???!!! No wonder all my russian/ukrainian friends keep telling me to breathe fresh air...

K

_Kim_

The russian article is quoting wrong findings
They also quoted that the research was done by researchers from the National Cancer Institute - not mentioning WPI.

The second article is just annoying. You will not get CFS if you get fresh air every day! Seriously???!!! No wonder all my russian/ukrainian friends keep telling me to breathe fresh air...

Today, I have vowed to wear light clothing, walk barefoot in my home, rinse out my mouth and nose, get some fresh air and avoid all quarrels and scandals. Surely my CFS will get better - the article says that it's a curable disease!!! I just wasn't doing the right cures!! Sheesh!!

Patient 2

It's strange that they didn't suggest to drink vodka or red wine as that is usually the cure for everything...I am so happy i am not in those countries battling this disease...

sarahg

Admin Assistant
interesting. proud to say that even after a brain fried day of doctor visiting and IVing and travel...I can still read russian! I want to go back to it later as I only went through about a paragraph of the original.
I was also surprised to see no reccomendation of vodka...I have had older family members tell me that is what I need (also the fresh air thing though) I have to admit that when it comes to colds, coughs and sore throats they ARE onto something, there is nothing like a shot of vodka with lemon juice and cayenne pepper to fix that! (it doesn't work once you've got the CFS alcohol intolerances going though)

It's interesting about the radiation because you have to think that in areas where there have been major degradations- shifts in the genetics and epigenetics of the population may occur that allow for a higher incidence of diseases like this. That is where there would be more cases, so if you look at it from the view of only knowing that a lot of people have this in those areas, I could see how you could reach that viewpoint, although I have to disagree that that is causation.

It's also strange because I have read other russian studies about the use of immune globulins and transfer factor to improve CFS, so I am surprised they are not interested in the XMRV findings, I guess it comes down to them thinking it is another opportunistic virus, and a few experts are not all the experts too I guess.

Thank you so much for posting this.

acer2000

I was also surprised to see no reccomendation of vodka...I have had older family members tell me that is what I need (also the fresh air thing though) I have to admit that when it comes to colds, coughs and sore throats they ARE onto something, there is nothing like a shot of vodka with lemon juice and cayenne pepper to fix that! (it doesn't work once you've got the CFS alcohol intolerances going though)

I can verify that vodka doesn't work, even the expensive stuff - like Grey Goose. Just makes you sicker. :-/

sarahg

Admin Assistant
I can verify that it absolutely does not work for CFS/ME people... but I swear! when I was otherwise healthy it was all I needed to get over a cold. And I am not a drinker at all really. But that said, I can't deny that if I took swigs of straight up lemon juice with cayenne it would probably do the same thing. I guess the traditional rationale is that it will kill all the germs, but that would probably only really work if you gargled it and you'd have to be pretty crazy to do that.

Ok sorry I have veered off topic incredibly.

K

_Kim_

Ok sorry I have veered off topic incredibly.

On the contrary, Sarah. Russian remedies are the topic here :) It probably matters not whether we are talking about XMRV or any other illness, the cures are the same. And there are variations on the vodka. In other cultures, it's whiskey that is used as the cure-all. And my Lebanese friends swear by Arak to fix almost anything you've got wrong with you.

acer2000

Well Vodka does have a high alcohol content, its probably almost like drinking rubbing alcohol - albeit not as potent. Since colds live in your throat, it probably kills some virus on the way down... maybe... OK I have no idea.. but its an interesting theory. :D

Christopher

Well Vodka does have a high alcohol content, its probably almost like drinking rubbing alcohol - albeit not as potent. Since colds live in your throat, it probably kills some virus on the way down... maybe... OK I have no idea.. but its an interesting theory. :D

Let's test the theory. Next time I get a cold I'll keep downing shots of vodka until the cold is gone, and I'll report on my findings.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
other uses of vodka

Okay. I just have to jump in here with my vodka story. I don't drink it. I've never drunk it. But several months ago I bought my first bottle of vodka.

This is what happens when you go to a very good doctor who keeps up on all the latest theories and therapies. It turns out that I have lung worms or at least some kind of worms inhabiting my lungs. (I can't find my notes so I don't have the proper name for these worms.) Microscopic, of course, though I can't get the image out of my head of earthworms crawling around in my lungs! Which for some reason makes me laugh! :D:D:D The treatment is to nebulize vodka. This also makes me laugh! :D:D:D This is true. There is anecdotal evidence that this will kill the worms and that this should make the person feel better.

Of course this isn't the CAUSE of ME/CFS. And this isn't being held out as the CURE for ME/CFS. Just something that might help lighten the load of things that go bump in the night that we sick ones seem to attract.

I have the vodka. I have the nebulizer. I haven't put the two together yet, so I guess I still have the worms. And that is the end of my story! :D:D:D

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
not the end?

Maybe the story will continue one day. Right now I'm more interested in those pretty blue retroviruses. I wonder in what part of my body they're hanging out. I wonder what they would think of vodka!

Too many straight lines, so little time...

Gracenote- the possibilities for bad jokes are virtually endless here. "I did inhale, but it was legal" comes to mind, a la Clinton. A Russian plot to disseminate this lung worm and render the Western world a bunch of drunkards from treatment... well, this one won't work as the Cold War is over. My kids said to me once, "What's a communist, Daddy?" Which left me feeling dated. Of course, I still refer to CD's as "Records!"

I think the worms you were referring to are microfilarial worms, yes?

The mind is a terrible thing to waste. Sorry for the rambling, but I'm needing bad jokes this morning.

D

Djembe

Well in South Africa it hasn't even hit the news. There was a very small mention of it on a site that had copied a Rueters feed. I dont think there are any doctors who are specializing in ME in South Africa, there is no ME association or support group - it is quiet a joke actually. I just listened to a talk on the Radio which was talking about the HIV epedemic in South Africa. Our preveous president (Mbeki) and our preveous health minister believed that HIV did not cause aids and would not supply sick patients with anti-retro virals for 4 years. They mentioned how many people had died as a direct result of this and the new minister of health admitted it today. There was even talk of whether there could be a case for a trial in court and charges bought against them. I wonder how this would effect the XMRV findings and possible treatments in South Africa. Hopefully we wont have this type of thing happening again.

Min

Okay. I just have to jump in here with my vodka story. I don't drink it. I've never drunk it. But several months ago I bought my first bottle of vodka.

This is what happens when you go to a very good doctor who keeps up on all the latest theories and therapies. It turns out that I have lung worms or at least some kind of worms inhabiting my lungs. (I can't find my notes so I don't have the proper name for these worms.) Microscopic, of course, though I can't get the image out of my head of earthworms crawling around in my lungs! Which for some reason makes me laugh! :D:D:D The treatment is to nebulize vodka. This also makes me laugh! :D:D:D This is true. There is anecdotal evidence that this will kill the worms and that this should make the person feel better.

Of course this isn't the CAUSE of ME/CFS. And this isn't being held out as the CURE for ME/CFS. Just something that might help lighten the load of things that go bump in the night that we sick ones seem to attract.

I have the vodka. I have the nebulizer. I haven't put the two together yet, so I guess I still have the worms. And that is the end of my story! :D:D:D

Are you referring to cryptostrongylus pulmoni? I had these as a co-infection to my Lyme, they were diagnosed last year by live blood microscopy. They were successfully treated by a course of Ivermectin - one every day for three days, then once a month for 9 months. Vodka was never mentioned! (Sadly, I still have the Lyme.)

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diffdx/klapow2.html

You're right it's not a cause of M.E./CFS, just one of the many pathogens our bodies seem unable to rid themselves of.

sorry to go off topic

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
way off topic and will stop now

Are you referring to cryptostrongylus pulmoni?
Thanks, Min. Yes, that's it. It's a type of roundworm parasite that was found from testing a sample I collected after coughing deeply. I may or may not have Lyme. The treatment was vodka. After rereading this info I'm feeling a little bit more somber. :(:(:( If anyone is interested in this we really need to start a new thread. Please invite me if you do.

froufox

Hi Gracenote,

I was diagnosed with the Crypto Pulmoni worm too, when I had a blood microscopy 2 yrs ago. I took Ivermectin at the time like Min which definitely did something as I after some initial die-off effects I had some improvement in absorption of food and energy/adrenal function. I took it a few more times and then stopped.

As is always the case with me the gut problems returned and I hadnt really treated them with anything proper but then tried Hulda Clark's super wormwood blend which also really did seem to do something powerful as I felt amazingly strong when I first took that but unfortunately it only lasted a day or 2.

Then just recently I took a worm powder called Pripsen which seems to be marketed mainly for children but adults can take it too. Its for all kinds of worms including roundworms like CP. Anyway that also really did seem to shift something from my gut and my absorption of food and my energy increased massively and this time it lasted almost 2 weeks. Then I started to feel a bit more fatigued again but now I'm back to doing fairly good again energywise. Ive been having other treatments too which may also be increasing my energy but I have no doubt that the Pripsen really helped shifted something from my gut, as the difference was like night and day.

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_2188_pripsen-piperazine-phosphate-powder-dual-dose-pack.html

Not sure about nebulising vodka but let us know if that does anything! Another thing which has been known to help expel worms from the colon is urine enemas though I understand that maybe some ppl wouldnt consider doing that!

Anyway I agree I dont believe it is the cause of CFS either but as you say if you can get rid of one pathogen it take a load off the immune system as it seemed to do in my case and could make a big difference in how you feel. I'm continuing to eat crushed up cloves in my food to deal with any eggs lying around.

All the best

sarahg

Admin Assistant
Let's test the theory. Next time I get a cold I'll keep downing shots of vodka until the cold is gone, and I'll report on my findings.

If you really want to conduct such an experiment (if being sick has changed the way your body handles alcohol, I wouldn't bother. believe me, I've already tried it, it's not the same anymore)

fill a shot glass about half (or 2/3) full with potato vodka and fill lemon juice the rest of the way, add a sprinkling of cayenne pepper to the top, enough that it spreads across the surface but is not coated. Down it! and then repeat no more frequently than every 2-3 hours or so. your sinuses, lungs, throat and nose will be thankful and happy.

Again if you have alcohol intolerance related to illness- it's not worth it and will just make you feel like crap.