• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folinic Acid....better than Metafolin for some?

CAcfs

I never really paid attention to the difference, until I realized that Folinic Acid is in IntrinsiB12/Folate by Solgar, and yes, the IntrinsiB12 seems to work magic for some people. I was thinking at first it was the Intrinsic Factor in it.....but now I"m wondering if it is the *folinic* acid, which is a different form of bio-available folate (my understanding) vs 5-MTHF which is Metafolin. Furthermore, I started reading some reviews on iherb.com, and some people are reporting, for the Folate supplements that include folinic acid, that for some reason, it's the only folate they've tried that has made a difference in their anemia, or in how they feel. It is making me think that some of us really need it. Looking back, I felt better on Rich's Simplified Protocol than on Metafolin combined with some other B forms and all three B12 forms, and I think the addition of the folinic acid in the IntrinsiB12/Folate by Solgar (in Rich's protocol) is why. Thoughts?

I am going to order the Source Naturals Folinic Acid on its own and see how that works. When something helps me, I can tell, like with the IntrinsiB12/Folate. I am going to keep taking my Metafolin, of course, but I'm hoping to see a boost from this new form, on it's own.

Freddd

I never really paid attention to the difference, until I realized that Folinic Acid is in IntrinsiB12/Folate by Solgar, and yes, the IntrinsiB12 seems to work magic for some people. I was thinking at first it was the Intrinsic Factor in it.....but now I"m wondering if it is the *folinic* acid, which is a different form of bio-available folate (my understanding) vs 5-MTHF which is Metafolin. Furthermore, I started reading some reviews on iherb.com, and some people are reporting, for the Folate supplements that include folinic acid, that for some reason, it's the only folate they've tried that has made a difference in their anemia, or in how they feel. It is making me think that some of us really need it. Looking back, I felt better on Rich's Simplified Protocol than on Metafolin combined with some other B forms and all three B12 forms, and I think the addition of the folinic acid in the IntrinsiB12/Folate by Solgar (in Rich's protocol) is why. Thoughts?

I am going to order the Source Naturals Folinic Acid on its own and see how that works. When something helps me, I can tell, like with the IntrinsiB12/Folate. I am going to keep taking my Metafolin, of course, but I'm hoping to see a boost from this new form, on it's own.

Hi Cacfs,

By all means experiment. We have no idea what percentage of people react to folinic acid with a paradoxical folate deficidency. But I also think that it may very well be over represented amongst this CFS/FMS/ME group. It is the intrinsic factor that makes a huge difference for some people.

topaz

Unless I am mistaken, the Intrinsi B12 (either by Metagenics http://www.metagenics.com/products/a-z-products-list/Intrinsi-B12-Folate or the Holistic Heal one http://www.holisticheal.com/intrinsi-b12folate.html) contains folic acid and not folinic acid. This does not invalidate your idea to try folinic acid which appears to work for some/a lot of people but if your experience is based on your last use of intrinsi B12 then that was folic acid and cyano B12.

richvank

Hi, CAcfs and topaz.

The current version of Metagenics Intrinsi/B12 contains both folic acid and 5-methyl THF. It does not contain folinic acid anymore, though it did when I first included it in the simplified protocol. The manufacturer changed the formulation without changing the name. I eliminated it from the simplified protocol in later versions in favor of including a supplement that does contain folinic, because I wanted to include that. So I first went to Actifolate, and then later just to pure folinic acid, because I wanted also to lower the amount of folic acid in the protocol. I don't see redeeming value in folic acid, though for many people folinic is beneficial, and 5-methyl THF (aka Metafolin, FolaPro, MethylMate B, and Deplin) is the exact form needed as a reactant by the methionine synthase reaction, so I have included both. 'For people who can use folinic acid, it converts to forms of folate needed to make RNA and DNA, and I think this is especially helpful initially for making new cells, before the methionine synthase reaction has come up sufficiently to supply tetrahydrofolate for these purposes.

Best regards,

Rich

Lotus97

Since people in this thread said that folinic acid wasn't in the IntrinsiB12, I was wondering if you were actually taking any folinic acid. Were you taking it before they changed the formula?