• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/ME Doctors in the Northern CA Kaiser System or Does Kaiser acknowledge CFS/ME?

Has anyone found any doctors inside the Northern CA Kaiser system that are willing and competent to diagnose and treat CFS/ME - particularly the Immune/Viral area or any others?

Does the Kaiser System acknowledge the existence of CFS/ME

Has anyone had Kaiser agree to pay for outside Kaiser doctors to treat CFS/ME or pay for the expensive viral and immune drugs?

*GG*

Welcome to the Forum!

Not sure if you have ever seen this website: http://www.co-cure.org/USA_CA.htm

It's outdated some, but perhaps would be useful?

Hopefully someone else will chime in. I know some people on this forum are from CA, but Northern?

GG

PS Check out the ACAM website also.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
FWIW, the Oregon Kaiser system acknowledges CFS (i.e., they don't deny payment for that diagnosis code as I've heard another insurance does), and it depends on your particular doctor whether you will get diagnosis or sympathy (but I was never offered any ME treatments except stimulants, although I had some eventual success getting treatments for sleep and pain).

Oregon Kaiser was among the first to diagnose FM, back in the day. However, they have gone psychosocial (including about other things like sleep treatments--you cannot even get a sleep study unless you have done a whole long sleep hygiene rigamarole even if your doctor thinks your sleep hygiene is not the problem and wants you to have a sleep study), probably because it saves money.

There are one or more N CA patients here, but not sure they have health insurance at all.

searcher

I just saw this delay so apologize if my post is too late to be relevant. I haven't found any doctors in the N Cal Kaiser system who are particularly knowledgeable about ME/CFS, but I know at least some of them are open to prescribing anti-virals like Valtrex and even Valcyte. PM me if you need any details.

greenshots

No, I live in N. Cali and let me tell you, Kaiser sucks eggs! As a former ICU RN, I worked for many managed care hospitals out here and they're all the same. in fact, Mayo and Johns Hopskins are little better. You wil have to get used to the idea of taking this on yourself and being your own best advocate since no one else will care like you do but especially not mainstream medicine and especially not Kaiser, Sutter, or Mercy!!!. It took me 3 years of an endless parade of docs before I found my ncredible doctor and she's in the Sacramento area. However, she does both the doc role and the consultant role for just the rate of a new visit and it sure isn't tmuch so if you want more info, PM me.

Good luck!
Angela

No, I live in N. Cali and let me tell you, Kaiser sucks eggs! As a former ICU RN, I worked for many managed care hospitals out here and they're all the same. in fact, Mayo and Johns Hopskins are little better. You wil have to get used to the idea of taking this on yourself and being your own best advocate since no one else will care like you do but especially not mainstream medicine and especially not Kaiser, Sutter, or Mercy!!!. It took me 3 years of an endless parade of docs before I found my ncredible doctor and she's in the Sacramento area. However, she does both the doc role and the consultant role for just the rate of a new visit and it sure isn't tmuch so if you want more info, PM me.

Good luck!
Angela
HI Angela, I live in Sacramento...could you give me the name of the doctor in Sacramento you see? I am currently seeing Dr. Kaiser in Mill valley, Ca...Just north of SF. Can you tell me more about what you regime is and your story? thanks

I live in Northern California (SF Bay Area) and am having the most difficult time finding a GP or PCP. Please share if you have a good one!

florin - How do you like Dr. Kaiser?