• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POTS, Attenol and extremely low BP

Questus

Was wondering if anyone else has either experienced this or can explain it...

Dr. Klimas had prescribed Attenol 5.5 mg twice daily for my POTS.

After taking it for several months, my blood pressure which was always low before POTS was measured in a Doc's office at 80 over 40.

I stopped taking the Attenol because those numbers were concerning.

Wondered if anyone is familiar with beta blockers causing someone with POTS to have this kind of reaction?

Thanks,
Questus

ramakentesh

Im curious about that. DO you have orthostatic drops in BP? Do you feel better or worse? I assume far worse at that blood pressure?

Beta blockers stopped the feelings of sympathetic excess but made it more likely for me to faint without warning.

Questus

Im curious about that. DO you have orthostatic drops in BP? Do you feel better or worse? I assume far worse at that blood pressure?

B

Good question.

You asked if I felt better or worse..and assumed that I felt worse.

I did feel worse, and in fact never did feel 'better' on the Attenol. It simply allowed me to stand for longer periods of time without the tachycardia. Clearly my BP dropped on Attenol, but weather it dropped more upon standing, I can't say since I'm no longer taking it.

I initially posed this question because I vaguely remember reading that people with low blood pressure who get POTS and then take beta blockers can have an extreme drop in BP.

Am curious if anyone else has experienced an extreme drop in BP on beta blockers?

Thanks,
Questus