• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Melatonin Import From iHerb to Australia??

Got this rather automated reply from iHerb the other day :confused:

SUBJECT: Melatonin Script

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting iHerb customer service.

We no longer send this product to Australia therefore you would not need to send the prescription.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Daniele

Anybody got any ideas on whats going on??

Cheers!!

alex3619

Hi Sammy, melatonin is a restricted drug here I think. Homeopathic melatonin is not, but real melatonin is. They probably tried to send some and it got seized by customs officials. Having a script does not guarantee it wont be seized, you would then have to fight to prove you have a right to it. Melatonin is available locally though at very inflated prices - and you still need a script. This would be governed by the Therapeutic Goods Administration, I suggest you enquire there.

I don't know this for sure, its just my best guess.

Bye, Alex

Adster

When I asked iHerb a year or so ago they were still selling it if you provided a script to put in the shipment, but now they won't sell it at all. VRP were willing to sell it when I asked, but then when I went to order it they stopped replying to my emails. You can get it on prescription in Australia if you are really stuck, it's called Circadin. Compounding chemists will sell it too. It's not cheap though. Circadin has lactose in it also.

Thanks Alex and Adster..

Just trying to understand why they NOW stop sending it unlike last year-ish.

Yep, homeopathic stuff is armmm weak.

Circadin and other compounded melatonin is highly over priced here in Oz.

The lactose content is also a problem with circadin not to mention 21x SL tabs for over $30!! is a bit of a ripp.

After reading the "anti benzo/informative" posts it has made me realise I realy need to cut down on there use, or at least try to

Cheers!!

Adster

Do you know anyone in the States who might be able to post you some? Get a prescription also if you can to get it through customs. You could see if Kirkmans will ship it with a prescription in the package, I didn't try them when I was looking for a new way of getting it. I've been using their 3mg tablet for a few years now, but they've just changed all their ingredients so I'll change brands.

My suspicion is that Iherb have an agreement with customs not to sell any prohibited items to Australia, they don't seem to be inspecting them anymore and they are getting here without delay again.

taniaaust1

This thread has worried me. I cant remember who Im bringing my melatonin into Australia throu but I do remember one of my meds was ordered throu iherb (i really hope it isnt the melatonin).

I was just trying to find out who I do get my melatonin throu but its done my head in so Im going to have to work it out another day. I'll post back if its someone else. (I get Biovea 3mg Melatonin) throu a company which late last year took the melatonin off its website but one could still get it throu them if one emailed them which I ended up doing. (If Im remembering correctly, it ended up coming to me throu the UK instead of where it previously did).

I suspect the company took it off of their website due to some trouble (I previously got it without a prescription..as I said Im not currently sure if it was throu iherb or not). I did have a prescription thou handy if there had been any trouble that I could of shown.. big fines here for illegally bringing in things.

The TGA really screws us, you guys in America.. make sure they never introduce that there if you want to keep your meds.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
another alternative is tryptophan in doses of 2000-3000mg atleast a couple hours after eating any protein food. It is converted into serotonin as well as this converting into melatonin. I have used 5htp but find tryptophan better for sleep, need to be careful if on antidepressants.

taniaaust1

another alternative is tryptophan in doses of 2000-3000mg atleast a couple hours after eating any protein food. It is converted into serotonin as well as this converting into melatonin. I have used 5htp but find tryptophan better for sleep, need to be careful if on antidepressants.

Ive read that too much serotonin can be an issue in some with ME. I myself one time did get ambulanced to hospital with suspected serotonin syndrome thou I wasnt on anything to give it to me.

If one did have too high serotonin level and took one of the precursers for it when not needed.. would that further bring it up? or does body stop making it at a certain point?

Do you know anyone in the States who might be able to post you some? Get a prescription also if you can to get it through customs. You could see if Kirkmans will ship it with a prescription in the package, I didn't try them when I was looking for a new way of getting it. I've been using their 3mg tablet for a few years now, but they've just changed all their ingredients so I'll change brands.

My suspicion is that Iherb have an agreement with customs not to sell any prohibited items to Australia, they don't seem to be inspecting them anymore and they are getting here without delay again.

Thanks Adster will try Kirkmans if all else fails...

Your suspicion and note on delivery details makes a lot of sense...

Bottom line is iHerb isnt the place to go for most our supps anymore. Jus kinda sux thats all...

This thread has worried me. I cant remember who Im bringing my melatonin into Australia throu but I do remember one of my meds was ordered throu iherb (i really hope it isnt the melatonin).

I was just trying to find out who I do get my melatonin throu but its done my head in so Im going to have to work it out another day. I'll post back if its someone else. (I get Biovea 3mg Melatonin) throu a company which late last year took the melatonin off its website but one could still get it throu them if one emailed them which I ended up doing. (If Im remembering correctly, it ended up coming to me throu the UK instead of where it previously did).

I suspect the company took it off of their website due to some trouble (I previously got it without a prescription..as I said Im not currently sure if it was throu iherb or not). I did have a prescription thou handy if there had been any trouble that I could of shown.. big fines here for illegally bringing in things.

The TGA really screws us, you guys in America.. make sure they never introduce that there if you want to keep your meds.

Thanks taniaaust1 for the info.

and +1 re the TGA for the American's, be very very carefull... Meh Politics and Supps :(

Thanks Heapsreal! and very true as I know what serotonin syndrom feels like...NOT nice. Endep(TCA/Anti-D) and Tramadol brought on my reaction and like taniaaust1, a ride to the hospital... Just be carefull guys

heapsreal

if on no anti-d's, then risk of serotonin syndrome is very rare with tryptophan but also can be avoided by starting at 500mg a night and add another 500mg until you get to a dose u find helps. Like most things for sleep, its good to have a break from it to reduce tolerance especially if they have stopped working, introducing it again after a good breal will help it to work again.

cheers!!!

Ive read that too much serotonin can be an issue in some with ME. I myself one time did get ambulanced to hospital with suspected serotonin syndrome thou I wasnt on anything to give it to me.

If one did have too high serotonin level and took one of the precursers for it when not needed.. would that further bring it up? or does body stop making it at a certain point?

I am sorry but not sure how to answer that, BUT i think each person responds differently. As a friend of mine for example can take two SSRI tabs(forget which one his on) and over 400mgs tramadol(which IMHO is very dangerous) and feel 100% fine, so go figure :)

if on no anti-d's, then risk of serotonin syndrome is very rare with tryptophan but also can be avoided by starting at 500mg a night and add another 500mg until you get to a dose u find helps. Like most things for sleep, its good to have a break from it to reduce tolerance especially if they have stopped working, introducing it again after a good breal will help it to work again.

cheers!!!

Yep! like Heapsreal said, on no anti-d's and there shouldnt be a problem. I jus seem to automaticly think if you have CFS/ME, your on a antidepressent for some silly reason - jus my thought process i guess

heapsreal

i think if on supplements there is a rate limiting amount of serotonin that can be made, up to a point i guess, but like everything if u go overboard anything bad can happen. AD's and tramadol etc stop the break down of serotonin, so there arent any brakes to stop serotonin production when on ad's etc. If someone wanted to use tryptophan and was on ad's, i would consult with an intergrative doc. There could be a possibility of weaning off ad's if slowing increasing/using tryptophan if with a good doc.

cheers!!!

Sammy- I recently received 2 bottles of Melatonin sprays from vitacost.com without any dramas. Perhaps you can try them, but be mindful that it can take quite a while to receive the order.

taniaaust1

Changes in Important Neurotransmitters. Some patients with CFS have abnormally high levels of serotonin -- a neurotransmitter (chemical messenger in the brain),

Read more: http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articl...c_fatigue_syndrome_000007_3.htm#ixzz1mYM9m2aa

There has been at least two different studies which have shown that some CFS patients have high serotonin levels without it being due to drugs they are taking. Doctors really should be checking our levels before being given things to increase this unless one obviously has depression.

snowathlete

The same thing happened to me recently with puritans pride. I am in the uk.

It's silly because it's a really harmless supplement, perhaps with the exception of the really high dose stuff.
My go and sleep doctor are both totally happy for me to take it and told me higher doses would be fine too. I only take 0.5m a night.

I am almost out so will be looking to get some orders from somewhere this week.