• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

what dose metafolin is safe?

i am low in folic acid (10, normal range 10-45). my doctor wanted to prescribe 5mg regular folic acid for a few months, but i want Metafolin.
I bought Solgar 800mcg, what dose Metafolin is safe, and how long should i take it?
(i also take 5000mcg jarrow methyl b12)

Freddd

i am low in folic acid (10, normal range 10-45). my doctor wanted to prescribe 5mg regular folic acid for a few months, but i want Metafolin.
I bought Solgar 800mcg, what dose Metafolin is safe, and how long should i take it?
(i also take 5000mcg jarrow methyl b12)

Hi Wende,

Please read http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics, all of the basic info. A lot more is needed than just mb12 and methylfolate if you want to heal safely. Pay attention to potassium. That is where people can get into trouble quickly.

thanks a lot freddd! i find it hard to find the important messages on this forum because of my brain fog.
i will read the protocol, very interesting knowledge on this forum!
are there other documents i certainly have to read? i try to discover the most important documents on this forum but notice my brain isn't doing what it's supposed to do ;)

what is the difference between Jarrow Formulas 5mg Methyl B12 and Enzymatic Therapy 1mg B12 infusion? why take both?

chilove

HI Wende,

I'm still trying to figure out the protocol as well. Someone did tell me you don't take both the Jarrow and Enzymatic Therapy 1mg B12 infusion.. you take on or the other.. chose either.

I started with just 800mg of folate and 2000 of the methly b12 and experienced symptoms before I learned about the potassium link so start slow and watch that potassium! I'm comfortably taking double that now (a week a half after starting at half a pill each for the first few days) with about 1000 extra mgs of potassium daily.

BEst to you!

Audrey

Rosebud Dairy

One of my docs prescribed 15 mg of Deplin, and did NOT recognize that it could cause an unsafe potassium problem for women with heavy periods or that it could unmask a B12 deficiency. However, SHE DOES NOW!!

Actually, I saw my primary doc today, and she also recognized the low potassium, so much so that I now have a scrip for K-dur 10 mg? Not sure how to take it exactly, but I have it on hand. Same stuff as my "rescue" potassium from the low-salt salt dept at the grocery store.

Freddd

One of my docs prescribed 15 mg of Deplin, and did NOT recognize that it could cause an unsafe potassium problem for women with heavy periods or that it could unmask a B12 deficiency. However, SHE DOES NOW!!

Actually, I saw my primary doc today, and she also recognized the low potassium, so much so that I now have a scrip for K-dur 10 mg? Not sure who to take it exactly, but I have it on hand. Same stuff as my "rescue" potassium from the low-salt salt dept at the grocery store.

Hi Rosebud,

Sounds like you have a doc who pays attention. Very good. K-dur 10 has 750mg in all, k-dur 20 1500mg total realsed over time.
Here is a caution.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=4237
BECAUSE OF REPORTS OF INTESTINAL AND GASTRIC ULCERATION AND BLEEDING WITH CONTROLLED RELEASE POTASSIUM CHLORIDE PREPARATIONS, THESE DRUGS SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR THOSE PATIENTS WHO CANNOT TOLERATE OR REFUSE TO TAKE LIQUID OR EFFERVESCENT POTASSIUM PREPARATIONS OR FOR PATIENTS IN WHOM THERE IS A PROBLEM OF COMPLIANCE WITH THESE PREPARATIONS.
1.For the treatment of patients with hypokalemia with or without metabolic alkalosis, in digitalis intoxication, and in patients with hypokalemic familial periodic paralysis. If hypokalemia is the result of diuretic therapy, consideration should be given to the use of a lower dose of diuretic, which may be sufficient without leading to hypokalemia.
2.For the prevention of hypokalemia in patients who would be at particular risk if hypokalemia were to develop, eg, digitalized patients or patients with significant cardiac arrhythmias.

Rosebud Dairy

K-dur 10 MEQ ER

prescribed "as needed" so, a rescue dose.

Really don't want to rely on this as my primary potassium

Potassium chloride salt substitute is fine with me.....just not as accurate on a dose since it is a food.

Calathea

Why is it inaccurate just because it's marketed as a food? I measure out my doses carefully. I actually mix low-sodium salt with a few other things to use as an electrolyte drink.

Freddd

K-dur 10 MEQ ER

prescribed "as needed" so, a rescue dose.

Really don't want to rely on this as my primary potassium

Potassium chloride salt substitute is fine with me.....just not as accurate on a dose since it is a food.

Hi Rosebud,

Right on the Morton Salt Substitue package it says how much potassium per 1/2 teaspoon, or maybe 1/4 teaspoon.

Rosebud Dairy

On the Morton Salt Substitute........

When I mix 1/2 to 1/2 tsp in 500 mL of water, I really like the way it tastes.........which makes me think I may be needing it. Body like taste, body need taste.....

for instance, I don't CRAVE my Jarrow M-b12 as much as I used to.

So, can ad-b12 (Source natural dibencozide) 60 mg induce low potassium? symptoms of IBS-d and nausea

still wondering about the sodium/potassium bicarb (2:1)

maddietod

Why is it inaccurate just because it's marketed as a food? I measure out my doses carefully. I actually mix low-sodium salt with a few other things to use as an electrolyte drink.

What do you put in your drink? Does taking potassium this way cause any problems over a certain amount per day?

Rosebud Dairy

@ Calathea:

I simply haven't calculated out what my dosing might be. For now, I am adding 1/4 tsp per 500 mL, and sipping over 1-2 hours, but might need more. The side effects on the ER K-dur are all gut-related, so I'd LOVE to avoid a rescue situation if I can.

I will get with my dietician, and will probably be more comfortable with once I've had her input.

What else do you put in your drink? Sometimes I feel like I just need a little something more but can't quite put my finger on it.

adreno

PR activist

When I mix 1/2 to 1/2 tsp in 500 mL of water, I really like the way it tastes.........which makes me think I may be needing it. Body like taste, body need taste.....

So, can ad-b12 (Source natural dibencozide) 60 mg induce low potassium? symptoms of IBS-d and nausea

I believe you would want that the other way around; potassium:sodium in a 2:1 ratio.

Rosebud Dairy

I would rather have more potassium than sodium, but i have heard some good reports with it, just don't know about the gut reactions!

Freddd

Hi Rosebud,

A 60mg dose for CNS penetration can cause nerves to work better, more energy and possibly increase peristasis. If muscles start growing rapidly becasue of that dose, or any dose then low potassium could result.

soulfeast

60 mg of Ab12? Thats about 7 sublinguals in one day? This is a one time dose?

Cheney's electrolyte formula with no salt is half and half sea salt and no salt but intended I think for low blood volume issues with dysautonomia. Its interesting that postassium raises aldosterone. I am wondering if one can make the drinks by taste? If you crave more potassium than salt, etc.

Volume loading using appropriate volume expanders can be quite helpful. This can be done in a variety of ways, but falls best under the term of isotonic [same salt concentration as normal cells and blood] volume expansion. Hydralyte (Gookinaid) is a well-documented isotonic volume expander and is used in athletic events such as marathon running." [Gookinaid.com] "It has an advantage of rapid absorption and is maintained in the intravascular volume far longer than hypotonic [less salt concentration] drinks such as water itself. The disadvantage to Hydralyte (Gookinaid) is that it has sugar in it in the form of glucose."
"Another option would be a HomeBrew mixture of sea salt and "No Salt."

HomeBrew recipe:

?1 cup filtered or spring water
?1/8 teaspoon of Sea Salt
?1/8 teaspoon of "No Salt" salt substitute (potassium).
?Add lime juice or an herbal teabag as well as stevia for taste (or something to give it flavor without altering the electrolyte balance: peppermint, peach, raspberry zinger, etc.)

You can add 1 cup of Seltzer Water in there too, however, if you do, you need to double the amounts of Sea Salt & "No Salt" as has been done in the recipe below. See this earlier page for more information or read various posts on the subject on Yahoo!Groups CFSFMExperimental.

According to Dr. Cheney, "Four to eight glasses of Hydralyte (Gookinaid) or HomeBrew are recommended. Why is potassium in these drinks? Potassium induces Aldosterone , a hormone that significantly increases blood volume."

http://www.dfwcfids.org/healing/gokhmbrw.htm

I take Potassium Gluconate powder from Now for my blood pressure - 500mg K/day. That is it. It takes my bp from pre-hypertension to normal. (I also take DHEA+cal/mag to bring my bp down 30 points from stage 3 hypertension to pre-hypertension).

I don't like the taste of potassium bicarbonate. I stir the gluconate into Vitamin Water and it's fine. I am not sure but am thinking the extra 50mg P5P I take may be what keeps me from electrolyte problems as it is the homocysteine drain -- maybe that allows my body to choose how much SAMe to make. Not sure. But when I stopped taking anything but the active b complex, I started getting these electrolyte problems and I don't think I used to. It's hard for me to say because calcium is an electrolyte too and I have always had recurring electrolyte problems due to my VDR genetic mutation. When I have an electroylte problem I also take cal/mag capsules, as these are critical electrolytes for me and the cal/mag probably helps prevent stomach upset.