• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No more large RB cells but but...

After all, I may not have large RB cells anymore according to my last blood work. I just didnt know how to read but I know now.

It was about 2-3 years ago when I had large red blood cells. I wasnt told anything else and I didnt ask because I was overwhelmed with gastro issues. At the time, the doctor was checking if I had celiac disease.
In my newest blood work, my RB cells are 92 so normal but my haemoglobin is low 120 (normal range start at 123). My vit B12 is at 394 (198-615pmol/L). I am guessing I am still in the lower normal and I was around 330 2 years ago when I had my large red blood cells. I thought thanks God, I am in the normal range no worries. But on this forum, I learned that the acceptable normals in North-America are kinda low.

Now I have a long list of weird symptoms with my fatigue my list can be quite confusing for doctors who like to make a diagnostic under 5min. This is why I decided to come to the net and looking for answers so I dont miss anything my blood work may be saying.

I have fatigue and maybe an underlying adrenal fatigue and I am in the process of checking that. But one of my mysterious symptom is darkening of some areas of skin (not due to sun). I also have a penetrating pain something like a needle charged with electricity at many places in my upper body. And my last very weird symptom is a painful to the touch skin except on legs. It is getting better but now it is mostly if I scratch or touch in a certain way maybe it depends on moment too.

I may have many issues at the same time but along with checking and addressing issues with my adrenal and thyroid I would like to do improve my vit B levels as I am now well aware of the importance of this vit.

I guess most of my health issues have their root in my gastro-intestinal issues which may be from stress (adrenal?) and I am sure I do not absorb a lot of what I eat. I get discouraged something thinking what I wasteI am shopping at Whole Foods for all these organic good food but the toilet boil is getting a good share of that. There is no way someone with all the good food I eat and has been taking vit B complex all year for about 10 years would be vit B deficient.

Please tell me what sort of vit B 12 I should take. I have read some of Freeds posts and the vit B to use under the tongue but I dont know if thats good for me. I am not really expecting any doctor to prescrib me vit B12 injections. I am in Canada where we have the best health care of the world but only when our health is already destroyed the doctors step in to help. I have to go from doctor to doctor to find someone who would give me the good tests even if I have all of the symptoms. So I would like to do the best I can for myself.

Freddd

After all, I may not have large RB cells anymore according to my last blood work. I just didnt know how to read but I know now.

It was about 2-3 years ago when I had large red blood cells. I wasnt told anything else and I didnt ask because I was overwhelmed with gastro issues. At the time, the doctor was checking if I had celiac disease.
In my newest blood work, my RB cells are 92 so normal but my haemoglobin is low 120 (normal range start at 123). My vit B12 is at 394 (198-615pmol/L). I am guessing I am still in the lower normal and I was around 330 2 years ago when I had my large red blood cells. I thought thanks God, I am in the normal range no worries. But on this forum, I learned that the acceptable normals in North-America are kinda low.

Now I have a long list of weird symptoms with my fatigue my list can be quite confusing for doctors who like to make a diagnostic under 5min. This is why I decided to come to the net and looking for answers so I dont miss anything my blood work may be saying.

I have fatigue and maybe an underlying adrenal fatigue and I am in the process of checking that. But one of my mysterious symptom is darkening of some areas of skin (not due to sun). I also have a penetrating pain something like a needle charged with electricity at many places in my upper body. And my last very weird symptom is a painful to the touch skin except on legs. It is getting better but now it is mostly if I scratch or touch in a certain way maybe it depends on moment too.

I may have many issues at the same time but along with checking and addressing issues with my adrenal and thyroid I would like to do improve my vit B levels as I am now well aware of the importance of this vit.

I guess most of my health issues have their root in my gastro-intestinal issues which may be from stress (adrenal?) and I am sure I do not absorb a lot of what I eat. I get discouraged something thinking what I wasteI am shopping at Whole Foods for all these organic good food but the toilet boil is getting a good share of that. There is no way someone with all the good food I eat and has been taking vit B complex all year for about 10 years would be vit B deficient.

Please tell me what sort of vit B 12 I should take. I have read some of Freeds posts and the vit B to use under the tongue but I dont know if thats good for me. I am not really expecting any doctor to prescrib me vit B12 injections. I am in Canada where we have the best health care of the world but only when our health is already destroyed the doctors step in to help. I have to go from doctor to doctor to find someone who would give me the good tests even if I have all of the symptoms. So I would like to do the best I can for myself.

Hi Largerbcells,

read http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics, the whole thing about the protocol. Also post you numbers. "Normal" has become very abnormal these days,

Hi Largerbcells,

read http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics, the whole thing about the protocol. Also post you numbers. "Normal" has become very abnormal these days,

Hi Freddd,

Here are some numbers:

hemoglobin 123 (120-160g/L)
Hematocrit 0.37 (0.35-0.45L/L)
White Blood Cells 4.6 (4.0-11.0 x E9/L)
Red Blood Cells 3.95 (4.0-5.10 xE12/L)
MCV 92.4 (80.0-100.0 fL)
MCH 31.1 (27.5-33.0)
MCHC 337 (305-360 g/L)
RDW 13.7 (11.5-14.5%)

B12 394 (198-615)

mellster

Marco
Looks like decent bloodwork except for borderline low RBC count and low normal B12/WBC. Maybe try boosting RBC count with supplements (and B12/methylation protocol).

Freddd

Hi Freddd,

Here are some numbers:

hemoglobin 123 (120-160g/L)
Hematocrit 0.37 (0.35-0.45L/L)
White Blood Cells 4.6 (4.0-11.0 x E9/L)
Red Blood Cells 3.95 (4.0-5.10 xE12/L)
MCV 92.4 (80.0-100.0 fL)
MCH 31.1 (27.5-33.0)
MCHC 337 (305-360 g/L)
RDW 13.7 (11.5-14.5%)

B12 394 (198-615)

B12 is actually quite low. Consider this includes all kinds inclkuding junk. Japan low flag is at 550pg/ml. Research has show that even 1500pg/ml has lots of responsive symptoms. 50 years ago, >93 was alerted. Not as good as it might appear. The only definitive test for if b12 will help is an active b12 tiral.

Thanks Mellster. I already take vit B complex 50. I eat pretty well too as I learned a lot of about nutrition and natural health. I eat red meat, eggs, some beans but they dont seem to be helping. When RBC is low doesn't it mean it is the iron that's low or other things.

B12 is actually quite low. Consider this includes all kinds inclkuding junk. Japan low flag is at 550pg/ml. Research has show that even 1500pg/ml has lots of responsive symptoms. 50 years ago, >93 was alerted. Not as good as it might appear. The only definitive test for if b12 will help is an active b12 tiral.

I thoughtI I learned the definite test was MMA and homocysteine. What's an active B12 trial?

Freddd

Thanks Mellster. I already take vit B complex 50. I eat pretty well too as I learned a lot of about nutrition and natural health. I eat red meat, eggs, some beans but they dont seem to be helping. When RBC is low doesn't it mean it is the iron that's low or other things.

Hi LargeRBcells,

B-50 type complexes have terrible balance between components, as if the same 50mg of each is somehow "balanced". Second it has folic acid. Folic acid can casue paradoxical folate deficiency in some or many people depending upojn total daily dose. AS a person needs to take a b-complex twice a day for best healing. it's a problem. Low methylfoalte can also cause the same blood problems as was the case for me.

Hi LargeRBcells,

B-50 type complexes have terrible balance between components, as if the same 50mg of each is somehow "balanced". Second it has folic acid. Folic acid can casue paradoxical folate deficiency in some or many people depending upojn total daily dose. AS a person needs to take a b-complex twice a day for best healing. it's a problem. Low methylfoalte can also cause the same blood problems as was the case for me.

Thanks Freeed.
What's the solution for someone like me who suffer from malabsorption, has a terrible digestion and show signs of vit b12 deficiency but also many other deficiencies. I am reading a book on enzymes and will give it a try at the same time than supplementing with sublingual vitamins. Today, I read that vit b12 deficiency can make cell volume bigger and thus make it difficult for blood cells to travel in extremities where blood vessels are thinner. Could this explain my cold feet?

Freddd

I am finally taking B12 and on my way to correct the deficiency.

Click here to see what I am taking: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics/page4

I would like to relocate my message to this thread but I don't know how to delete the post in the other thread. Please reply over there. Thanks.

Hi LargeRBcells,

If you can go into edit on it if it's not too old, you can also delete then after you do a cut and paste to over here.

It was too late to cut and past my post as I already had a reply but I am reposting here with the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by LargeRBcells View Post

Hi there,

I bought my B12 for the first time 2 days ago and I was excited couldn't wait to get the lozenge under my tongue! I needed to get as soon as I could so I didn't order online but bought at my local health food store. Later, I am planning to order from iherb one of the two brand names Freeed suggested in the first post. Hopefully, it will really gluten and animal products free and I know it is not easy to read all the different ingredients. Iherb prices are good specially if you are geting free shipping.

For now, I am using Advanced Series and the company guarantees they dont use any ingredient that is not listed on the label (I like that!).

Anyway, I took 5mg Methylc today and yesterday morning...It is a high dose and I hope I am OK with that much.

How do I feel? Much calmer, a bit heavy...hmm maybe that's due to my 6mg of melatonine. Last night, I slept well...didn't wake up for the washroom as usual. I was thirsty before bed but avoided water. Maybe I just had all the ingredients for a good night of sleep.

I wonder if 5mg/5000mcg isn't too much for my case. My B12 was just under 400 but I was feeling awful with bad bad short memory and other symptoms...it was getting worst and worst during this month maybe bcause I finished my B complex and was waiting to get the b12.

I love that it is sublingual...not swallowing and no injection...I love it!

Thank you Freeed.

Hi LargeRBcells,

Out of 10 brands fully tested and some others with short trials, only 2 brands were foundf that were 5 star rated, 2 others that were not formerly rated but based on descriptions could be 4+ stars. Most were 1 or 2 stars which were pretty bad. Despite the nominal dose of 5mg it may only be 1% as effective as a 1mg Enzymatic Therapy or Jarrow. Until you try those you won't know how this brand was. So far your description is not one of a sock knocker.

The methylb12 isn't melatonin, but mb12 can help generate melatonin. Normalizing sleep is a result of mb12. Hope you keep doing well.