• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Energy drink danger

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I didnt know these drinks were dangerous to those who have a mitral valve prolapse (something which is very common in ME patients), so I wanted to share this news article which quotes a cardiologist about this.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8409236/energy-drink-horror-stories-from-our-readers

Hi Tania,

I don't think these drinks are dangerous just to those of us who have MVP--but to most of us because we have autonomic dysfunction. Several of the ingredients can affect the autonomic nervous system. Also, from the statistics published in the States, they have underestimated the % of the general population who have at least mild MVP. I have two prolapsed valves and a cardiologist said that about 20% of the population have mild MVP. And for our group, the percentage is likely to be much higher.

Best,
Sushi

taniaaust1

Hi Tania,

I don't think these drinks are dangerous just to those of us who have MVP--but to most of us because we have autonomic dysfunction. Several of the ingredients can affect the autonomic nervous system.

Agree that these probably arent good for those of us who dont even have MVPs. (I myself have indication of having a MVP).

Dr Cheney has given a percentage for MVPs in us.. I cant quite remember now but it was extremely high.. something like 80%? of his ME patients had a MVP. Due to statistic like that, I dont think any of us should drink these drinks.

allyann

I had one can of V when I was studying late at Uni in my late 20s. It gave me heart palpitations and made me feel dizzy. I have never touched the stuff again. Too much instant coffee can have the same effect on me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk