• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation treatment for cancer?

Um, I hope she IS going to get a hysterectomy? You dont play around with cancer IMHO. You can use some of the above strategies maybe to help prevent metastasis/recurrance, but cancer is tough to beat - you need to take aggresive action, you know?

redo

hi there,

My sister has just been diagnosed with early stage endometrial cancer and I wondered if there were any specific kinds of methylation treatments for cancers or if the mini protocol Dr. Vank suggested would be a reasonable option. Anyone know about this area? Any other thoughts? I've read that Indole 3 Carb is an excellent supplement for estrogen sensitive cancers so have already talked with her about that and she's starting today.

Thank you,
Angela

This is about another cancer type, but what it shows is that once the cancer has established itself, it wasn't much help with methylation therapy:
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090730111156.htm
"SAMe, a widely available nutritional supplement, with little known side effects, was found to be effective in preventing the formation of HCC in rats. However, high enough levels of SAMe were not attainable to successfully treat established HCC."

It's fascinating to see though that before anything was established, SAM-e helped a great deal.

(just to make it clear, I am not suggesting that this should be the path to choose in your case)

greenshots

Very helpful info! Yes, she is scheduled for a hysterectomy but has some spread so wanted to see what could safely be done beyond that instead of chemo/rad. Its good to know about the various supplements as well as the fact that improving methylation could work against us.
Thankyou!
Angela

Here is a very informative website on I3C/DIM. It says I3C has a lot of drug interaction potential as it affects CYP3A4 and others:
http://www.dimfaq.com/site/cruchoice.htm
It says this is not true of DIM.

Here are some interesting web sites.

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/diindolylmethane
DIM kills some cancers and prevents others from spreading. The mechanism is THROUGH affecting P450 enzymes to CLEAR ESTRADIOL FASTER.
So therefore these would be highly interactive with drug therapy. (which latter the article doesnot mention).

http://home.earthlink.net/~ckaniklidis/interactions.htm
Says that eaing broccoli 2x/day causes 40% less chance of various hormonal cancers. It works by modifying gene expression for P450 enzymes
So that estradiol is cleared fast and thus less chance of cancer. However this results in drug interactions. It says a study showed tamoxifen is Not affected by DIM but *IS* affected by I3C (rises to 3 times dose which may be toxic). the induction of CYP enzymes by I3C, especially those of the 1A subfamily, could be a cause for concern, as these play a role in activation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) and aromatic amines with known toxicities, a concern that appears not to be shared with DIM. The reason for this may be that in the acidic conditions of the stomach after oral exposure, I3C becomes a complex mixture more than 20 different I3C-derived compounds, including DIM, all having various pharmacological/toxicological effects, while DIM is relatively more stable in acid and does not robustly undergo further condensation reactions, suggesting that the more stable DIM component may be the safer compound to deploy in the human context.

Lots more in here on studies of I3C and DIM vs tamoxifen some indicating tamoxifen levels can be pretty high with no adverse effects,,,etc. Read the details.