• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

does a slightly high RBC suggest I am a poor methylator

anniekim

A full blood count I had a while back came out normal apart from slightly high red blood count. Does anyone know whether a high RBC can suggest I am a poor methylator? Many thanks..

anniekim

Ah, think I am getting confused. I think it's a high MCV that indicates methylation problems as opposed to high rbc. So the size of the red blood cells as opposed to how many....

Freddd

Hi Annikim,

High MCV, high MCH, low platelet, lots of multisegmented neuraphils, some white cell abnormalities I forget the specifics of and other things. Low mb12 and/or methylfolate can cause these along with some other things. Every doc I saw asked if I had trouble with bleeding. They also all kept fishing for how much alchohol I was drinking. I would start to tell them "About 2 sixpacks per" interupt me and the doc would say "per day" and I would say "no, per year".

My blood profile looked like an alcoholic's with many deficiencies.

anniekim

Thanks Fredd. I take it I'm right high rbc does not suggest a methylation problem? My MCV etc are all within normal range.

Freddd

Thanks Fredd. I take it I'm right high rbc does not suggest a methylation problem? My MCV etc are all within normal range.

Hi Anniekim,

You mean "normal" from before nationwide endemic b12 and folate deficiencies or after?

the difference is >93 old, > 100 or even > 101 depending where you are.

What the the NUMBERS, "normal" is a statistical abstraction and even aberation since average of people too high results in "normal" being too high. Same wirth MCH.