• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alpha Lipoic Acid

L'engle

moogle
I started taking ALA yesterday (600mg). Any thoughts on what people have experienced taking this? I've slept a lot, through the evening and overnight into late morning, which does happen but may be from taking ALA.

Thanks!

alex3619

ALA is one of the most important antioxidants. In another sense its important too. It is important for metabolizing sugar. Most of us benefit from it. Sustained release or divided doses are probably the best way to take it, and I think its better taken with food.

ALA supports and works with the antioxidants glutathione, Coenzyme Q10 and vitamins E and C.

It is also useful for assisting is nerve healing.

Bye
Alex

richvank

Hi, l'Engle.

Andy Cutler has emphasized that ALA can redistribute mercury in the body, including into the brain, if there is much mercury present and ALA is not taken about every 3 hours around the clock, to keep its concentration up. I think he is probably right about that.

Best regards,

Rich

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I take a slow release ALA called Xymogen ALAmax Cr. It is 600 mg. Then at the end of the day I take a little more. I take many supplements, but this long release Alpha Lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine have been amazing. My integ. doctor tells me the doses and brands to take for my CFS and POTS.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Is there a lot of difference in the brands of ALA? I see some that seem to of higher quality that advertize that they contain both isomers of ALA as it suggested some brands only included 1 of the isomers. Can anyone comment on this as it is a little above my head right now.

SJB944

Has any one ever tried taking ALA once a day against every 3 hours as suggested by Cutler?

When it comes to mercury toxicity, the opinions are rather diverse!

Sallysblooms

I took it once a day for quite a while. Then my doctor told me again to up my dose for my POTS. I still need to take more but I am getting there. I try to get in 900, but need more. I just forget. I find it makes me have energy if I take it at night. Could be just me. Or could be my Benfotiamine. LOVE both of those supps.

Freddd

I took it once a day for quite a while. Then my doctor told me again to up my dose for my POTS. I still need to take more but I am getting there. I try to get in 900, but need more. I just forget. I find it makes me have energy if I take it at night. Could be just me. Or could be my Benfotiamine. LOVE both of those supps.

Jarrow has a "sustain" two release ALA so it lasts longer.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i use dr's best brand and take 600mg dose in the morning, have been thinking of taking smaller multiple doses, maybe 300mg twice a day.

cheers!!!

Sallysblooms

Fredd, I use ALAMAX by Xymogen. It is 600 per cap, excellent brand. My doctor likes that brand. Thank you. Just need to remember to take more ALA than that.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
August59 wrote: Is there a lot of difference in the brands of ALA? I see some that seem to of higher quality that advertize that they contain both isomers of ALA as it suggested some brands only included 1 of the isomers. Can anyone comment on this as it is a little above my head right now.

What I remember from researching this on PubMed and Wikipedia last year. Only (R)-ALA is naturally occurring, the (S)-ALA is a byproduct of the manufacturing process and it is more expensive to get (R)-ALA by itself, most products are (R/S)-ALA. Also, (S)-ALA seems to be either less effective or actually interferes with (R)-ALA and reduces its efficacy. The overall impression I received was that (R/S)-ALA is OK but the (R)-ALA may be better. Companies selling the latter for a higher price will claim it is better, but I think it is amusing if another company is claiming the opposite.

Vegas

Has any one ever tried taking ALA once a day against every 3 hours as suggested by Cutler?

When it comes to mercury toxicity, the opinions are rather diverse!

There are a fair number of people on the FDC forum who got substantially worse on once a day ALA. Unfortunately, there has been very little research into using Lipoic Acid, which is reduced in the cell into DHLA--the true chelating agent--as a chelator. The science supports its chelating properties, but there haven't been studies into the need for frequent, regular administration. Experiences from the handful of confirmed mercury toxic people that I have heard discuss this is that intermittent ALA, made them much worse. Many people feel better initially, even euphoric. Others who don't have a mercury or arsenic burden apparently don't have problems. I suspect if your burden is minimal, you won't notice much. Those with greater body burdens of Hg relative to brain mercury are more likely to experience a worsening of their condition. I can tell you that when one chelates and starts to understand the effects created by the metals being redistributed, you would only opt for continuous administration.

ALA has been shown to be protective against the
effects of acute mercury poisoning in several mammalian
species when administered simultaneously or shortly
after mercury exposure (Donatelli, 1955; Grunert, 1960),
provided a correct dosing of ALA was used (inappropriate
doses were seen to increase toxicity). Grunert
(1960) suggested that frequent treatments with lower
doses of ALA could also be effective by virtue of keeping
the blood level of ALA more constant, and this has
been observed in guinea pigs (administered every 4 h)
(Donatelli, 1955).Further research is needed into the actions of ALA as
a chelatorin particular investigation of frequent low
dose chelation as suggested by Cutler (1999). Although
not a peer reviewed publication, Cutler makes a plausible
argument regarding the frequency of chelator dosing
which merits the attention of the scientific community.
Whilst it would appear that ALA may have potential
as a mercury chelator, it is also clear from the work of
Donatelli (1955) and Grunert (1960) that the effect of
ALA on mercury toxicity is dependent on dosage size
and on the spacing of dosages in time.

Toxicology 234 (2007) 145156
Review
The role of thiols, dithiols, nutritional factors and
interacting ligands in the toxicology of mercury
James P.K. Rooney

L'engle

moogle
I do not know much about the relative benefits of ALA vs. R Lipoic acid. I'd be interested in hearing what people have found, if they've tried both.

Sallysblooms

I just talked to my doctor about it. He said the testing is done with reg. Lipoic Acid and the ALAMAX CR I mentioned above that I take is excellent. I have really done great with my supplements and the Lipoic acid and Benfotiamine have been so great. Lots of great news with my blood tests today.:balloons:

SJB944

Arguably then, you could achieve the continuous affect by taking a sustained release ALA - say one in the morning, one at night?

Sallysblooms

I take it in the morning. At night, I think it energized me. Not sure.. But right now I take the slow release in the morning then more ALA at 5pm, little less that 300 at 5pm. It is one of the most important supplements I take.

alex3619

Arguably then, you could achieve the continuous affect by taking a sustained release ALA - say one in the morning, one at night?

I am less than convinced that mercury toxicity/redistribution is a major risk, but it is a consideration. In particular, ALA effects are very much dosage dependent as are most things. To get the best result you need a constant level - which means taking with meals or sustained release, preferably both. So its a moot point. If you think that it could cause mercury issues, take in divided doses as sustained release, but I think high enough doses with each meal would probably do. If you don't, still do it that way. The only real issue is cost - repeat doses of sustained release increase the cost burden.

So there is nothing to disagree with on this advice, regardless of what angle you are coming from.

Bye, Alex

SJB944

If I recall correctly, Cutler's approach is every 3 hrs also during the night. That would make a sustained release at meal times a much more practical option.