• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help! B12 and acid indigestion!

I'm taking Genestra Brands Seroyal B12, sublingual. My stomach acid production has skyrocketed and is keeping me up all night, even though I take the B12 sublingually in the morning. It's also upsetting my IBS.

What can I take to offset this? I know I'm B12 deficient because it makes me feel remarkably "better." My brain feels better, less deprived of oxygen, my stamina has improved, and I'm not so tired during the day.

Thanks for any suggestions! I need to sleep tonight!

Hi Jessrose,
I have tried all of the lifestyle changes that they recommend to help with acid reflux. Most of them only made minimal difference. I also had a prescription for a PPI a couple of times. It didn't help. The thing that has made the difference for me is chewing gum. It was the last thing I tried because when I first read about it, it didn't make sense. I guess all of the saliva produced helps wash down the acid. There have been some studies done. In the beginning I had to chew a lot. Now, I am down to a maintenance 4 or 5 sticks a day.
Best Regards,
mogy

Freddd

I'm taking Genestra Brands Seroyal B12, sublingual. My stomach acid production has skyrocketed and is keeping me up all night, even though I take the B12 sublingually in the morning. It's also upsetting my IBS.

What can I take to offset this? I know I'm B12 deficient because it makes me feel remarkably "better." My brain feels better, less deprived of oxygen, my stamina has improved, and I'm not so tired during the day.

Thanks for any suggestions! I need to sleep tonight!

Hi Jessrose,

That is about the worst possible b12 supplement. It has nothing good going for it. It is cyancobalamin and folic acid. If you have paradoxical folate dficiency it's the fol;ic acid that is kicking up you IBS abd maybe acid problems. You would have 100 to 10000 times better chance of healing with methylb12 of one of the 5 star brands, adb12 and metafolin.

Hi Fredd, I tried the Jarrow B12 and also had the acid problems as well as the tooth and gum pain/sensitivity. (I really do brush and floss twice a day, religiously, because I don't want cavities. My dental hygienist has always complimented how nice my teeth are.) I have some Metafolin that I haven't tried yet. Are you saying I should do the methylb12 and the adb12 and the metafolin?

Hi Mogy,

That's a bummer about your acid reflux. I've never had it before taking b12. Chewing gum makes my IBS worse (as well as my TMJ pain) so that's not going to work for me. I'm glad it works for you though!

Freddd

Freddd,

What are the other five star b12s other than Jarrow? Thanks.

Hi Jessrose,

There are the Jarrow 1mg and 5mg and Enzymatic Therapy 1mg. All 3 are 5 star. The thing is you will also need to have potassium on hand becasue almost everybody that has success will need it or they can have terrible side effects and they can even be fatal if prolonged. Read the sticky on the methylation menu on active b12 basics, http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics.

Generally with these once the epithelial tissues start healing the stomach inflammation and problems can resolve in weeks. Take antacid tablets if you need to to control acidity for now. The b12 itself doesn't cause acid problems but it sure turns on the nerves and so you feel them more. The Jarrow doesn't damage teeth but aqgain, b12 can cause much more intense awareness. Increased tooth pain and sensitivity is a b12 deficiency symptom which again you get to feel more before the nerves heal but after they start telling you more. Sensidyne toothpaste can give you nearly immediate relief.

And yes, all three, mb12, adb12 and metafolin are all needed.

Adster

1/3 tsp of baking soda(bicarb/sodium bicarbonate) in 1/3 glass of water taken at least 1 hour after food can help to neutralise excess stomach acid until to sort out the cause of the problem.

Hi Jessrose,

There are the Jarrow 1mg and 5mg and Enzymatic Therapy 1mg. All 3 are 5 star. The thing is you will also need to have potassium on hand becasue almost everybody that has success will need it or they can have terrible side effects and they can even be fatal if prolonged. Read the sticky on the methylation menu on active b12 basics, http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics.

Generally with these once the epithelial tissues start healing the stomach inflammation and problems can resolve in weeks. Take antacid tablets if you need to to control acidity for now. The b12 itself doesn't cause acid problems but it sure turns on the nerves and so you feel them more. The Jarrow doesn't damage teeth but aqgain, b12 can cause much more intense awareness. Increased tooth pain and sensitivity is a b12 deficiency symptom which again you get to feel more before the nerves heal but after they start telling you more. Sensidyne toothpaste can give you nearly immediate relief.

And yes, all three, mb12, adb12 and metafolin are all needed.

Hi Freddd,

Thanks for your reply. I've been thinking a bit and what is strange to me is that I'm not sure it's so much stomach acid as it is gas which starts in the stomach and goes through the intestines. I'm very prone to intestinal gas and even the slightest change of diet or supplements can aggravate it. My body can produce massive, embarrassing amounts of intestinal gas that make trying to sleep a misery, because it gets trapped and rolls around all night in my intestines. I've eliminated so much from my diet (corn, potatoes, wheat) to control it and take a lot of Gastri-gest (digestive supplements) which really help.

I woke up after three hours sleep last night. After an hour of lying there waiting to fall back asleep, the stomach churning started again and I felt "hunger pangs," which really weren't, and the gas production began. Why it started while I was just laying there, I have no idea. I took some Alka Seltzer thinking if the acid was controlled, the gas would be, too. It worked for about an hour.

I'm ordering the Enzymatic Therapy tonight along with your suggested Adb12. I really appreciate your help!

Hi Freddd,

Please bear with me as I have more questions. :)

If I'm going to cut out all Folic Acid and Folate other than Metafolin, then I need a new multi-vitamin.

What do you think of this one: New Chapter Every Woman's Mineral Complex

I hesitate to take PE Nutrient 950 simply because some of the ingredients are from fermented corn and I stay far away from corn or corn byproducts. Or maybe they're all made this way and I just never knew.

Thanks again!

Freddd

Hi Freddd,

Please bear with me as I have more questions. :)

If I'm going to cut out all Folic Acid and Folate other than Metafolin, then I need a new multi-vitamin.

What do you think of this one: New Chapter Every Woman's Mineral Complex

I hesitate to take PE Nutrient 950 simply because some of the ingredients are from fermented corn and I stay far away from corn or corn byproducts. Or maybe they're all made this way and I just never knew.

Thanks again!

Hi Jessrose,

It has a small fraction of what a mineral supplement need, 50mg of calcium instead of 500-1000mg, 5mg of zinc instead of 25-50mg, 50mcg of selnium instead of 200mcg, 5mg of potassium compared to the usual 99mg in most supplements and the amount needed in the active b12 protocol based on symptoms induced by healing ranges from 600-1800mg.

And yet, there would be way to much iron if you took 20 servings which would be 60 capsules. Very expensive for minimal inadequate amounts of the wrong balance.