• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Parasite turns honey bees into zombies

Carrigon

I'm posting this here because the bee population has had a form of CFIDS/ME for years. This may explain why, and it certainly gives hope that one day they will find the true cause of our illness. If we were walking in circles like these bees, they would still be screaming it was all in our heads. But as it turns out, it's a parasite.

Parasite turns honey bees into zombies
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/parasite-turns-honey-bees-zombies-212258832.html

By Eric Pfeiffer

A fly parasite is being blamed for an epidemic that has struck the honey bee population around the world. The parasite nests in the stomach of the bees and causes them to walk in circles, sometimes pursuing bright lights, before eventually dying.

The Parasitic Phorid Fly Apocephalus borealis is responsible for the zombie transformation, laying its eggs inside the abdomen of the honey bee.

"When we observed the bees for some time, the ones that were alive, we found that they walked around in circles, often with no sense of direction," said San Francisco State University's Andrew Core lead author on the bee parasite study in the journal Plos One.

Bees usually just sit in one place, sometimes curling up before they die, said Core. But the parasitised bees were still alive, unable to stand up on their legs.

"They kept stretching them out and then falling over," he said. "It really painted a picture of something like a zombie."

And while the parasite may be causing immense damage to the honey bees population, there is an upside to their discovery, according to the Mirror, "Scientists discovered the parasite by accident but they believe it may help them discover what is causing colony collapse disorder which is devastating honey bees in Europe and America cutting some populations in half."

The parasite is believed to be new and similar to one currently affecting the bumblebee population. Scientists are still figuring out exactly how the parasite works, but an early theory by San Francisco State Professor John Hafernik holds that the parasite changes the bees' "body clocks," which causes their erratic behavior and deaths.

Tony Mach

Show me the evidence.
I'm posting this here because the bee population has had a form of CFIDS/ME for years.

Well, I haven't been flying away to die Did you?

Sorry, but bees do not have "a form of CFIDS/ME" and they never had. Bees do not have one central thinking organ like the brain we have, they do not even have a heart. I assure you, whatever we have, bees do NOT have it.

Abha

Abha
Carrigon:Thanks for posting the interesting article on "Bees"..I have always been interested in Bees and have attended courses on same.I have watched documentaries too on Colony Collapse Disorder and when writing letters to the Ministry(Health) re my illness I have mentioned the bees too.In this world there are many things that Man doesn't know and CCD was one of them.In my own crippling illness I have had problems(probably still have) with Blastocystis hominis and Dientamoeba fragilis...and Rickettsia conorii too.What part these play in crippling illnesses is not really understood.A full understanding of CCD may lead to other findings.Who knows?

Carrigon

Tony, do the research. You cannot prove they don't have it. Therefore, not a valid argument.

The studies that have been done on bee colony collapse are numerous. And they have shown they get confused and can't find their way home. Their immune systems are overrun with parasites and viruses. Yes, this is similar to a CFIDS/ME patient.

And you are very wrong, bees definitely think and have intelligence, it's just a different form than a human has.

Thanks for posting the interesting article. I agree, it should make scientists think. Many animals and insects get more attention and help than we do :(

floydguy

Thanks for posting this. I find the content relevant. I think there are things that we can learn from what's going on in the animal world - especially in the area of how toxins affect them. They might not affect us in the same way but there may be some overlap or at least knowledge to be gained. I wouldn't want scarce ME funds to be used in this way but why not see what else is going on out beyond the ME boundaries?

At one time I was involved in R&D and it seemed to me the smart groups would look outside their 4 walls and see what technology already existed and take those ideas and apply it to what they needed to achieve. The groups that weren't so effective often had a "not invented here" block. There is little question that happens in the medical research world as well.