• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zingiberis Rhizoma and Suppression of Cortisol

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I just found this abstract today. I can buy Zingiberis Rhizoma at take herb. I am going to try it and see if it helps with the Fibromyalgia symptoms. I will let you know what happens.

Biol Pharm Bull. 2004 Oct;27(10):1679-82.
Comparison of the effects of Sho-hange-ka-bukuryo-to and Nichin-to on human plasma adrenocorticotropic hormone and cortisol levels with continual stress exposure.
Katagiri F, Inoue S, Sato Y, Itoh H, Takeyama M.
Source
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Oita University Hospital, Hasama-machi, Japan. FKATA@med.oita-u.ac.jp
Abstract
Sho-hange-ka-bukuryo-to and Nichin-to, traditional Chinese herbal (Kampo) medicines have been used to treat vomiting and nausea. Traditional herbal medicines have frequently been used in the empirical treatment. Some patients who take these medicines have no organic disease but have conditions classified as non-ulcer dyspepsia (NUD). To determine the pharmacological effects of Sho-hange-ka-bukuryo-to, Nichin-to, and the two herbs (Pinelliae Tuber and Zingiberis Rhizoma, both of which are included in Sho-hange-ka-bukuryo-to and Nichin-to), we examined the effects of these medicines on the plasma levels of adrencorticotropic hormone (ACTH) and cortisol under stress conditions by repetitive blood sampling. After a single administration of Kampo medicine or a placebo, venous blood samples were taken before and 20-240 min after administration. A single administration of Sho-hange-ka-bukuryo-to caused significant suppression of an increase in plasma ACTH-immunoreactive substance (IS) levels at 120 to 180 min and tended to suppress increases in plasma cortisol levels at 240 min, compared with the response to a placebo. A single administration of Nichin-to caused significant suppression of increases in plasma ACTH-IS levels at 120 min compared with a placebo group, but had no effect on plasma cortisol levels. Pinelliae Tuber had no significant effects in plasma ACTH-IS or cortisol, but Zingiberis Rhizoma significantly suppressed the increase of ACTH-IS (120 min) and cortisol (180 min). These medicines have a modulatory effect on the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis and autonomic nervous function. These effects might be beneficial in stress-related disease and suggest that this medicine has clinical pharmacological activity.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Now I am reading studies that say we are low on cortisol. I am confused. Do we have too much or too little and what happens when we have too little?

ukxmrv

Research on PWCFS shows low cortisol so this might be a disaster for some of us. My own cortisol tested by blood and saliva is low.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Research on PWCFS shows low cortisol so this might be a disaster for some of us. My own cortisol tested by blood and saliva is low.

I think its mainly about inappropriate cortisol response. Many cfsers have low cortisol throughout the day when its suppose to be higher and then at night when its suppose to be low so we can sleep properly, its actually higher then it needs to be. Some of this may also tie into circadian rythm problems as well.

So what we want is good cortisol levels throughout the day(not too high) with good dhea levels to help counteract the negative aspects of cortisol. Then at night we want our cortisol levels to drop so we can sleep and our body can repair itself.

Cortisol is catabolic, which means it breaks substances down, this isnt a bad thing as its used to create energy, but cortisol is balance with dhea which is an anabolic substance which helps with growth and repair of our bodily functions. SO u can see in adrenal fatigue where cortisol is always high, our body is just constantly breaking down and normally dhea is low so cant help repair what is being broken down for energy etc. Its a yin and yang thing, they have to be balanced and respond at appropriate times. saying cortisol is good or bad isnt correct.

ukxmrv

Sorry Heapsreal,

Don't know what you mean. Can you provide some evidence to back it up with actual published papers on PWME or CFS?

The research on CFS patients shows low cortisol and only Simon Wesselys' patients have higher levels.

I've never had high cortisol and low DHEA. It does vary during the day but is not "high" at night. Taking P-serine wipes me out regardless of DHEA levels. That's the point I was trying to make (that for me P-serine wasn't good).

We are talking about CFS here and actual research / our own experience. Of course, you may be different and have opinions based on your own experience. I'm just sharing mine. Been experimenting with this for over a decade.

Please accept my apologies if I have missed something and am reading this wrong.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Sallyblossoms, does it work? Do you feel better after you take it?

Mya, It does he me. That has made my afternoons much better. I also take Thyroid and my hormones are balanced, five of them. Everything works together with all of my supplements , but yes, I can tell the difference late in the afternoon. I just take a 1/3 of my already low dose. I trust my doctors, they know supplements and my improvement has been so good.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Mya, It does he me. That has made my afternoons much better. I also take Thyroid and my hormones are balanced, five of them. Everything works together with all of my supplements , but yes, I can tell the difference late in the afternoon. I just take a 1/3 of my already low dose. I trust my doctors, they know supplements and my improvement has been so good.

Thanks. Since it is hard to find alternative or cooperative doctors in my area, perhaps I can find some herbs that help boost cortisol naturally and try a small dose. Interestingly, I find a lot of supplements on body builder websites that I would like to try. There are supplements that reduce estrogen levels and there are supplements that slow down oxidative stress and prevent lactic acid from building up in the muscles. They also have supplements that either slow down or boost cortisol. Before trying all these, however, I really need to get on to trying the methylation protocol.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Sorry Heapsreal,

Don't know what you mean. Can you provide some evidence to back it up with actual published papers on PWME or CFS?

The research on CFS patients shows low cortisol and only Simon Wesselys' patients have higher levels.

I've never had high cortisol and low DHEA. It does vary during the day but is not "high" at night. Taking P-serine wipes me out regardless of DHEA levels. That's the point I was trying to make (that for me P-serine wasn't good).

We are talking about CFS here and actual research / our own experience. Of course, you may be different and have opinions based on your own experience. I'm just sharing mine. Been experimenting with this for over a decade.

Please accept my apologies if I have missed something and am reading this wrong.

I dont think there is anything set in stone in reguards to cfs and cortisol/dhea. I myself dont have high cortisol but dhea is low, so i suppose i dont have a healthy ratio of cortisol/dhea. not specific to cfs but they say in adrenal fatigue initially cortisol is high and as this progresses, cortisol levels can drop to low levels.

I cant really point to any specific studies, this is just info i have read googling this subject in the past, but a reasonably good site on adrenal fatigue is http://www.drlam.com/adrenalfatiguecenter/ i think in cfs/me adrenal fatigue can be from some infectious cause, so recommendations for adrenal fatigue arent always a perfect match for cfs/me, so treating adrenals isnt really getting to the cause but it does help some, for others they feel worse. The best thing to do is to get cortisol and dhea measured and try and get them to within normal ranges at the right times?? if your cortisol is very low maybe hormonal supps like pregnenolone could help or even hydrocortisone plus many natural supps for adrenal fatigue.

cheers!!!