• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

low level fever and chills

November Girl

I'm having almost fever and chills - not quite, but still hot, cold and sweaty at the same time. this has been true more often than not for the past few weeks. Any idea what this could be indicating? I've not been checked for any of the weird viruses that tend to remain active in PWC - partly because I'm not sure what if anything my doc would do. Is this something that an infectious diseases doc might treat? I ask because that's who looked after me for a post-surgical infection 2 years ago.

I'd love some suggestions - I've had this settle in for a year or two at a time, and don't want to go through that again!

Valentijn

I had severe chills after exertion during the onset of my ME back in February. I still get something similar sometimes, but of shorter duration and usually just a small-ish section of my body, and not necessarily after exertion. Taking a hot bath might help - my thought is that shivering uses the muscles just as much as intentional exercise does, so it's best to avoid if possible, to stay away from PEM.

caledonia

I get something like this from yeast. Also flu-like pains that move around the body and extra tired. I take anti-yeast stuff to keep it at bay. I rotate when it stops working. The things are GSE (grapefruit seed extract), cat's claw and Caprylistat (caprylic acid). Each one lasts about a year, then I rotate.

I don't know about any exotic viruses that I might have either, although I did have an EBV reactivation when I first got sick. This was much more severe than the yeast stuff.

Jenny

I'm having almost fever and chills - not quite, but still hot, cold and sweaty at the same time. this has been true more often than not for the past few weeks. Any idea what this could be indicating? I've not been checked for any of the weird viruses that tend to remain active in PWC - partly because I'm not sure what if anything my doc would do. Is this something that an infectious diseases doc might treat? I ask because that's who looked after me for a post-surgical infection 2 years ago.

I'd love some suggestions - I've had this settle in for a year or two at a time, and don't want to go through that again!

This is what constitutes my ME. I have had these symptoms for decades. They are very common in ME, but to my knowledge no-one knows quite what causes them. Infections? HPA dysfunction? I haven't found anything that helps I'm afraid, but they do get slightly better from time to time.

Jenny

*GG*

I used to have night sweats alot, but they stopped a couple of years ago. About 5 years after the onset of illness.

GG

svetoslav80

I was feeling hot and had cold chills during the first 4 months of my illness. My temperature was raising sometimes up to 37.1C, but not more (and my normal is the standard, 36.6C). This is gone now, but the fatigue and brainfog are still present :( You didn't say what your temperature is? What does "almost fever" mean? I see you have been suffering ME/CFS for quite long. Have you experienced this before?

Chills are sometimes a sign of inflammation (either caused by infection or not), but I can't tell if there are other reasons causing chills, which may be the case with us.

hurtingallthetimet

hope that you are feeling better and not catching a bug....i get hot sweaty chills alot...feel feverish alot...will have low grade temp alot also...have been told its from the fibro...its very hard to know when you are getting a bug or anything with all the crazy symptoms that go along with these illness....

again hope you are feeling much better

Ocean

I have a low grade temp and alternate between chills and feeling overly hot pretty much every day. The only thing I've found to help is that when my overall CFS symptoms are better and I avoid PEM as best as I can those symptoms seem to improve too. Hope yours get better soon.

Chills

I have the same problem: When a CFS episode starts it always begins with very uncomfortable shivering and chills; then I get flu-like pain mainly in the head and temperature up to 37.3. I was examined a few times - nothing was found - and even got antibiotics (which never helped). For 3 years I thought that I was suffering from recurring infections until I spent 4 weeks in a hospital and finally was diagnosed with CFS.

November Girl

Thank you everyone. I am feeling better. I said almost fever and chills because while I felt extremely hot and cold (often at the same time), my body temperature wasn't elevated. I didn't measure my body temp, just had DH check with the forehead test. At some point we raised the thermostat 1 or 2 degrees F, but I don't remember if that was before or during the symptom exacerbation. It might have been something that helped me get over it. I definitely have less pain in the slightly warmer rooms.

I still have these somewhat, but it's more or less my normal level. I am very grateful for a remote-controlled ceiling fan. ;) I had horrible night sweats for a year or so, but that was - good grief - 25 years ago! Just like healthy middle-aged people, I'm sometimes surprised to realize just how old I really am. My "baby brother" is 50 now.

Sigrid, I'm glad you finally got diagnosed! Lots of my ME/CFS symptoms were treated incorrectly over the years because the ME/CFS wasn't diagnosed, but I never had a 4 week hospitalization because of it.

ps - I typed this a few days ago, but for some reason didn't post it. Fortunately when I clicken on Reply, it offered to "restore saved content"