• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bird flu strains should be secret, government says

This is strange. How can anybody solve problems without the information?

The U.S. government paid scientists to figure out how the deadly bird flu virus might mutate to become a bigger threat to people - and two labs succeeded in creating new strains that are easier to spread.

On Tuesday, federal officials took the unprecedented step of asking those scientists not to publicize all the details of how they did it.

"It wasn't an easy decision," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, infectious diseases chief at the National Institutes of Health, which funded the original research.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/20/MN291MF00S.DTL#ixzz1hAESwfck

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/20/MN291MF00S.DTL

Enid

I really don't believe in supressing science findings - we are fairly grown up now and probably more aware of our own illnesses and current scientific findings than those trying to hide any facts from us. Roll on the day when a Doc just does not say "well it's a virus".........oh yea but which one.

Nielk

Maybe they are afraid that if the unformation gets in the wrong hands, it can be used as a weapon of terrorism.

Enid

What's terrorism got to do with enlightenment of civilised societies.

Nielk

What's terrorism got to do with enlightenment of civilised societies.

XMRV Global Action

?"Two groups of scientists who carried out highly controversial studies with the avian influenza virus H5N1 have reluctantly agreed to strike certain details from manuscripts describing their work after having been asked to do so by a U.S. biosecurity council. The as-yet unpublished papers, which are under review at Nature and Science, will be changed to minimize the risks that they could be misused by would-be bioterrorists."

Enid

Well gas in the first world war did for my grandpa - so lets civilised societies continue to investigate the damage of all noxious chemicals.

Nielk

Well gas in the first world war did for my grandpa - so lets civilised societies continue to investigate the damage of all noxious chemicals.

Maybe, I've been watching too many episode of 24. I didn't watch it when it was on and now I am on a marathon watching it. (It takes my mind of my pain).