• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bond Uni grant update, maybe more $$ on the cards

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Bond Uni in australia studying cfs are now calling themselves PHANU - public health and neuroimmune unit and as has been mentioned in other threads is in collaboration with Q-Health, Stanford University and incline Village medical centre Nevada and have over $800 000 (from the MASON foundation)up their sleeve to help further develop testing and treatments for me/cfs.

Sonia Marshall, the head scientist involved in the NK study is applying for a $1.9M Smart State Grant (govt grant similar to the grant recieved that initiated their current study) with their goals to develop a definative diagnostic test for me/cfs and develop a national testing facility at bond university. They have estimated me/cfs affects 250000 australians.

COOOOL!!!!

GO Sonia and Bond! and thanks for continuing to study this illness.

Congrats to Ekua Brenu who submitted her final thesis to achieving her doctorate studying us at Bond.

cheers!!!

Megan

Wow, thanks Heaps,

The Mason grant is fantastic, but it would be really great if they could get that state grant too! We deserve some government money in to this. Good to see State governments might help out.

Enid

Cooool - heaps. Would you say you are way ahead of us up over !.

heapsreal

I dont know about way ahead, at this stage they arent testing outside of there research group. It will be good when their test becomes recognised and they can test people outside their research group. I really dont know what GP's are going to do and say to their patients when they come back to them with low nk function as most dont believe in cfs/me past a psychological illness. Hopefully bond have some treatment trials coming up and now that they are teamed up with Dan Peterson, maybe something might come of it but this is only speculation. I know at the start of the study 18 months ago they were very interested in the ritux stuff being done in Norway, so who knows hopefully something good soon.

cheers!!!

taniaaust1

with their goals to develop a definative diagnostic test for me/cfs and develop a national testing facility at bond university.

Now that would be the day. Just imagine being tested with "real" tests. That would make the current ME/CFS definitions used elsewhere to be ditched.

I just hope the grant (if they get it) survives the next state election, next year.

Thanks for pointing out that we need to keep up pressure on our government over here that we NEED more money going into ME/CFS.

I find it truely amazing just how much MASON foundation manages to put into ME/CFS. They have been responsible for so many of the ME/CFS Australian studies over many years (probably for much of the Australian research, they dont just fund the bond ME/CFS studies but also the Adelaide research group studies too etc which studies brain abnormalities etc SPECT scan, MRI etc CFS studies).

I urge people (not just Aussies) to think of donating to this foundation (Judith Jane Mason & Harold Stannett Williams Memorial Foundation) who puts most of its money into ME/CFS research (60% goes towards "finding a cure" of ME/CFS.. while the other 40% goes towards finding cure for Alzheimers disease). It may be studies being funded by this group who end up freeing us from all the current ME/CFS crap.

http://www.me-cfs.org.au/news/office-blog/mason-foundation-research-grants/

heapsreal

Maybe they are looking into a ritux study??

BOND COLLABORATES WITH QUEENSLAND HEALTH TO ADDRESS THE PRIORITIES OF THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION

Bond University has created a Population Health and Neuroimmunology Unit (PHANU) in its state-of-the-art health science and medical research facility.

In collaboration with Queensland Health, Bond Universitys PHANU will be one of very few research laboratories in the world to conduct studies into autoimmunity and neuroimmunology within the context of population health.

http://enews.bond.edu.au/link/id/a01215bb79caec848534/page.html?extra=d798c9782a3221b6c192

Enid

Certainly better than anything going on in the UK at present. Takes the whole new (Aus) world. Don't ask me what I think about this old world.

*GG*

I urge people (not just Aussies) to think of donating to this foundation (Judith Jane Mason & Harold Stannett Williams Memorial Foundation) who puts most of its money into ME/CFS research (60% goes towards "finding a cure" of ME/CFS.. while the other 40% goes towards finding cure for Alzheimers disease). It may be studies being funded by this group who end up freeing us from all the current ME/CFS crap.

http://www.me-cfs.org.au/news/office-blog/mason-foundation-research-grants/

What does NSW stand for? Would donations from overseas help secure more funding? Can you list what they have done that has really helped?

GG

heapsreal

What does NSW stand for? Would donations from overseas help secure more funding? Can you list what they have done that has really helped?

GG

NSW stands for New South Wales and is a state in Australia. The Mason foundation donated money to the initial bond nk function study along with the Smart state grant. I think the Smart state grant is a grant given by the government of Queensland, which is another state of Australia and Queensland is where bond university is located. Dont expect to visit Queensland and bump into Bond uni, as Queensland is 7 times larger then the UK, but if you do head to the Gold Coast and you will be in the general area and a good place to go for a holiday if you like the beaches etc. Alot of good medical inventions come out of australia, penicillin being one of them. Just so you dont think australians are a bunch of convicts still, heres a short list of medical inventions, electronic pacemaker, physiotherapy for polio, lithium, bionic ear, the humidicrib, spray on skin for burns, etc etc. just so you know we arent a bunch of drunken boof heads watching rugby or wrestling crocodiles(we only do that on weekends), we do have some people who stay sober and do very good things, lol. And we are more likely to share our inventions as we dont have a market here to sell much because of our small population

cheers!!!