• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

reputable website for ordering melatonin

anniekim

Hi, I live in the UK and would like to order some melatonin from abroad. Can anyone advise of a good website to purchase from?

Many thanks in advance

Jenny

i herb has good prices - takes around 2 weeks to arrive though if you're in the UK.

Jenny

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
i herb has good prices - takes around 2 weeks to arrive though if you're in the UK.

Jenny

Every so often Iherb ships free to Europe. If you sign up for their email promotions you might get lucky.

Sushi

Calathea

I'd be wary of ordering melatonin tablets, there's a reason why they won't prescribe it in the UK. Personally I prefer to get my body to produce its own melatonin (darkness therapy), it works very well for me. I did try the tablet form years ago, and it didn't do a thing for me, but I'm afraid I can't remember where I ordered it from apart from somewhere in America. By now I basically avoid ordering anything which is a drug on the internet, it's too risky, and I'm very careful about suppliers for herbs and nutritional supplements.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Also consider tryptophan instead of melatonin, as its converted to serotonin and then into melatonin, plus also can help improve mood and sleep quality through increasing serotonin.

Calathea

Ah, so is tryptophan not worth taking if I already have nice high melatonin levels from the darkness therapy? I think it was vaguely on my list of "might be worth trying one day".

anniekim

Thanks everyone, appreciated.

I take a SSRI. Am I right in understanding you can't take tryptophan if so?

heapsreal

Ah, so is tryptophan not worth taking if I already have nice high melatonin levels from the darkness therapy? I think it was vaguely on my list of "might be worth trying one day".

If melatonin levels are good, you could still benefit from increased serotonin levels from tryptophan, which can help you relax. Try small amounts 500mg ??

heapsreal

Thanks everyone, appreciated.

I take a SSRI. Am I right in understanding you can't take tryptophan if so?

Anniekim, yes u have to be careful using tryptophan or 5htp with ssri's. If your doctor knows much about nutritional medicine, maybe he might recommend small amounts of tryptophan with a lower dose of an ssri?? but definately talk it over with your doc.

It might be an option to consider using 5htp instead of an ssri but it depends on how much meds are helping. 5htp i think is good for increasing serotonin during the day and tryptophan at night as i think its better for sleep, but its a trial and error thing.

But if ssri's are helping then maybe need to look into other things for sleep, but melatonin is ok with ssri's. SOme find melatonin in low doses like .5mg helpful while others need larger doses. I use 5mg of sublingual melatonin which helps some with sleep cycles but mainly use it now as its a good antioxidant. It doesnt seem to be side effect free looking at others experiences, but atleast now you know what to look out for if u do use melatonin.

cheers!!

Calathea

If melatonin levels are good, you could still benefit from increased serotonin levels from tryptophan, which can help you relax. Try small amounts 500mg ??

Thanks. How does this work if I'm also using light therapy in the mornings? I'm primarily using it for keeping my body clock/sleep patterns on schedule, since I get pretty much zero exposure to natural sunlight, but it should be boosting my serotonin levels as well.