• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

General Q's on Freds Protocol

Hey everyone this is my first post here, Ive been experimenting with freds protocol for 2 weeks or so and just have a couple q's, any input would be helpful.

First off I have not been officially diagnosed with anything, I suppose myself to have precarious anemia and Im assuming b12 deficiency is the problem as I have all the symptoms. Btw Ive been a vegetarian for almost a year. Although I haven't been tested yet since starting freds protocol I have felt completely better in most ways, I notice a surge of energy, increased sense perception, no more muscle fatigue or pain, extreme stress relief and muscle relaxation, and most of all my favorite a HUGE increase in my appetite and sense of taste and smell. Im a male 24, height 5'11 and Im under weight @ 115-120 pounds and haven't been gaining due to complete lack of appetite but the increase in appetite is almost over welming at times, it scares me to be that hungry all of a sudden haha. So Im thinking with all this positive response I must be doing something right, the fact that I'm eating has me the most hopeful that ill start gaining my weight back. But on to the q's.

Btw my supps are -

1 5000 mcg jarrow methy b12 sub

1 enzymatic b12 sub

1 half of source naturals adb12 sub

1 multi b of douglas labs

I take omegas and d's in the more then sufficient range as well.

I also have metafolin from solgar, that i was taking half but stopped because the douglas labs has 400.

All are taken at once around noon-3pm each day or every OTHER day.

1. I was taking a organic multi v from new chapter organics that has 400mcg Folate in it, im assuming its food derived? Does that have the same effect as synthetic folic acid in the protocol?

2. Is the metafolin in douglas labs multi be the same quality as solgars? I was thinking it was the same company.

3. Do I need to take the metafolin? How much does it influence the effects of the protocol/chemical reactions? If I have the positive effects without it is necessary to include or up the dose?

4. What is the main role of the ad b12 in the process, and is it necessary to take it everyday?

Im just a little nervous being a skinny guy taking all this b12 everyday just would like some info or thoughts, thanks guys. I realize most of this is really related to how I personally feel on the supps, but any feedback would be helpful.

Valentijn

As a vegetarian, you might not be getting enough B12 in your diet, especially if you're avoiding eggs and such too. You'll probably need supplement B12 at some level as long as you are a vegetarian. You may also need to watch out for the other potential vegetarian deficiencies listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian_nutrition#Potential_nutrient_deficiencies

You should be getting enough folate in your diet already, assuming you're eating lots of vegetables :) I'm no expert on Freddd's protocol, but I think that aspect of it is more geared toward people with that have genetic problems likely to be involved with ME/CFS or similar problems.

aprilk1869

1. I was taking a organic multi v from new chapter organics that has 400mcg Folate in it, im assuming its food derived? Does that have the same effect as synthetic folic acid in the protocol?

Freddd had taken a whole food multi and found it didn't work for him, however he also experienced problems with folinic acid and only some people have problems with that. So it's something you're going to have to experiment with yourself.

2. Is the metafolin in douglas labs multi be the same quality as solgars? I was thinking it was the same company.

Metafolin is a brand name by Merk and therefore should be the same whoever sells it.

3. Do I need to take the metafolin? How much does it influence the effects of the protocol/chemical reactions? If I have the positive effects without it is necessary to include or up the dose?

Metafolin is very important because it works with methylb12 but as for the dose, you'll have to experiment with it.

4. What is the main role of the ad b12 in the process, and is it necessary to take it everyday?

Adb12 is needed by the mitochondria which are like little engines inside every single living cell. Supposedly it's good for building muscle. Freddd says he only takes it once a week because once it "parks" in the mitochondria it stays there for about a week. However some people find they need to take it more often.

Hey everyone this is my first post here, Ive been experimenting with freds protocol for 2 weeks or so and just have a couple q's, any input would be helpful.

First off I have not been officially diagnosed with anything, I suppose myself to have precarious anemia and Im assuming b12 deficiency is the problem as I have all the symptoms. Btw Ive been a vegetarian for almost a year. Although I haven't been tested yet since starting freds protocol I have felt completely better in most ways, I notice a surge of energy, increased sense perception, no more muscle fatigue or pain, extreme stress relief and muscle relaxation, and most of all my favorite a HUGE increase in my appetite and sense of taste and smell. Im a male 24, height 5'11 and Im under weight @ 115-120 pounds and haven't been gaining due to complete lack of appetite but the increase in appetite is almost over welming at times, it scares me to be that hungry all of a sudden haha. So Im thinking with all this positive response I must be doing something right, the fact that I'm eating has me the most hopeful that ill start gaining my weight back. But on to the q's.

Btw my supps are -

1 5000 mcg jarrow methy b12 sub

1 enzymatic b12 sub

1 half of source naturals adb12 sub

1 multi b of douglas labs

I take omegas and d's in the more then sufficient range as well.

I also have metafolin from solgar, that i was taking half but stopped because the douglas labs has 400.

All are taken at once around noon-3pm each day or every OTHER day.

Im just a little nervous being a skinny guy taking all this b12 everyday just would like some info or thoughts, thanks guys. I realize most of this is really related to how I personally feel on the supps, but any feedback would be helpful.

Hi Enso,
The ad b12 is generally considered an appetite stimulant. It could very well be helping increase your appetite. If you google "dibencozide appetite" you might find some interesting material.
Is it necessary to take everyday? I do, but everyone seems to be different.

mogy