• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NHS Scotland recommends to diagnose ME with the Canadian Criteria and separate it fro

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Wow! That's fantastic news, leela - thanks for posting. I hope that policy might spread from Scotland to the rest of the NHS in the UK. That really is the best piece of news I've seen coming out of the UK for ages. It has cheered me up no end!

snowathlete

quite a big change that. I guess it can only be good news really. Thanks for Posting Leela!

leela

I know, right? It's so nice to have a big piece of good news after all this, erm, crap.

Andrew

If that does manage to spread, then the NICE brigade with be obligated to do a differential diagnosis. They will have to exclude all CC-ME people from their reign of terror. Go Scotland!!!

allyb

Scotland, it seems have always been ahead of the game on ME

They have a Scottish Parliament cross Party Group on ME

I read the Scottish Good practice Statement on ME-CFS 2010, which was formally endorsed by the Royal College of General practitioners (Scotland) and the Scottish Neuroscience Council!!!!
And not British Psychiatrists and the Royal College of Psychiatry.
It was a joy to read and I hoped they would take it forward.... and it seems they have.
However I don't think we can just simply HOPE that the rest of the UK will follow, I don't believe it will.... without encouragement!!!
I would urge every UK PR member to highlight this to their own MP. I have noticed from the number of views that UK petitions receive on this forum, that there is an understandable apathy.
I have also read on many posts of late, the need to pull together; count me in, I see my MP on Saturday.

Sing

Norway, Scotland? Cooler heads will prevail! Come to think of it, we have a lot to be grateful for from Canada too, the CCC and now the ICC, spearheaded by Lydia Neilson at Mefmaction--Be proud, you Northerners!

sensing progress

I have always felt like the various groups studying "CFS" are comparing apples and oranges. Some people with 'chronic fatigue' may be helped by CBT or GET, and that is what some groups study and why they may find positive results. It is all about the case definition. This is good news.

kurt

That's great news, maybe someday the US CDC will follow suit. Instead of ME/CFS we would have ME, CFS, and ME+CFS... would be a much better world I think.

taniaaust1

All I can say is Wow!!.. if they do do this.. Im sure some other countries in the world will follow as this will raise questions from all countries around the world.

SilverbladeTE

"ALBA GU BRATH!"

william-wallace-mel-gibson-in-braveheart-7.jpg

hehe ;)

Amazing what can be achieved when your government isn't selling their arses, and the entire country, to the pharma and insurance corps etc, isn't it? :thumbsup:

Wonko

Before I move to scotland, what does this mean in terms of treatment options? presumably still CBT/GET as NICE dont approve anything else?

Using "nicer" criteria is definately a step forward and it may help people in the future but what does it mean for someone in scotland diagnosed with ME today, or scottish pwME in general today?

Or am I just being too negative?