• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medical breakthrough puts Reno in spotlight

Below is an excerpt from the sidebar to the Reno Gazette-Journal article posted by Kim at the beginning of this thread .

My grandfather was dying of cancer, and nobody would talk about it, Mikovits said. One day I said to him, Dont you know youre dying? And he said, Dont say that. I dont want your grandmother or your dog, George, to know.
He was dying of cancer, and nobody would talk about it. Thats what bothered me most.
Its what instilled the 52-year-old microbiologist with the empathy she has today for patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
All these CFS patients are stigmatized; thats why they stay in the closet. I think were where we were 40 years ago with cancer, Mikovits said. It carried a stigma like CFS does.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091031...edical-breakthrough-puts-Reno-in-spotlight---

Many of us with CFIDS/ME/XAND have endured not only stigma, but also torture by a ill-informed medical community. We are either denied treatment we need or given treatment that makes us much worse. My humane side forgives them for they know not what they do; another part of me isn't so...kind. I am not nearly as noble as Mikovits' grandfather.

I want validation. I want at least one physician to take me seriously, to know how sick I am, to give me the appropriate meds.

I will never be able to thank Whittemore and Mikovits properly for what they and all who worked on the XMRV study have given to me and to all who suffer this illness.

cfs since 1998

Great article, thanks for posting.

But the university required she be current on her measles, mumps and rubella vaccinations.

Three months before I got sick I had an MMR vaccine as well, and a series of hepatitis B vaccines (2 before, 1 after). I didn't think they are what caused it, but haven't discounted the possibility.

R

Robin

Great article, thanks for posting.

Three months before I got sick I had an MMR vaccine as well, and a series of hepatitis B vaccines (2 before, 1 after). I didn't think they are what caused it, but haven't discounted the possibility.

I had sudden onset CFS from sinusitis. I've heard of a lot of people getting sick after vaccines too. Vaccines stimulate antibody response just like normal garden variety viruses, I imagine that both are quite often the trigger but probably not the cause, if that makes sense.

hvs

Seems to me that there's more going on here than just XMRV...possibly many other factors involved, depending on one's history...

What about the story makes you suspect something more than xmrv? Isn't the current hypothesis that a big immune response to something opens the door for xmrv to wake up (and then there's a cascade of secondary, tertiary, etc. infections)?

dannybex

Hi HVS...

What about the story makes you suspect something more than xmrv? Isn't the current hypothesis that a big immune response to something opens the door for xmrv to wake up (and then there's a cascade of secondary, tertiary, etc. infections)?

Hi HVS,

Because specifically in her case, she felt well enough to take the huge leap back into life by enrolling for college, but relapsed after getting vaccinated. It could have been due contamination, or a mercury burden that was too much for her system to handle, but it just seems like something besides (or in addition to) XMRV caused her relapse.

But of course it could have also been XMRV that screwed u her NK-cell function or something similar...?

It just seems to be very common that many seem to have several factors involved, even if they were 'sudden-onset'. In fact, when reading folks stories of their onset, it often seems like in hindsight, that many cases could be described as "gradually-sudden". High-stress jobs or life stresses like caring for dying loved ones, sometimes accidents, chemical or pesticide exposures, or mold exposures are just some things that seem to come up often.

In fact, Erik Johnson (the Mold Warrior) who was part of the Incline Village cohort and one of Dr. Peterson's patients, found that by strictly avoiding mold, he was and is able to stay in remission.

Anyway, just my two cents. :)

Dan

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
Just because she saw a Homeopathic doctor doesn't mean that the only treatment used was homeopathy. I've seen a doctor at the Homeopathic Hospital in London and the person I saw used a range of treatments including anti-candida stuff, conventional anti-parasitic medicines and vitamin supplements.

I'm not a fan of homeopathy so not trying to defend the idea, just to point out that Andrea Goad didn't write that article and newspaper people often get things incomplete.