• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Two Weeks for $250,000 (or more) for CFS Support Groups with Chase Community Giving (Nov 8

An event for the Chase Community Giving, Nov 2011 for the nine groups in the running: http://www.facebook.com/events/229141813819873/ People don't always look at all the messages on their Facebook friends' walls so you can make (almost) sure they'll know about it by going to the event and clicking "select guests to invite" and click your Facebook friends - if they have already received an invite, they'll be shaded so can't be invited again - this ensures each person will only get one invite. One can also add a message with the invite (and send different invites with different messages to different people). Also one can add E-mail addresses if somebody isn't your Facebook friend.

I think the most important statistic to watch is 100th position and the votes associated with it (101st might be slightly more interesting but we can't see that).

Latest leaderboard: 603 (+44)

12 hrs previous: 559 (+39)

12 hrs previous: 520

expect this figure will increase as time goes on (i.e. it could go for example +39, +44, +49, +54, etc. - doubt it will be that exact of course) and certainly at the end I expect big jumps.
The groups we are supporting need to be getting more than these figures in each period to ensure they are not risking losing out.

Here are the latest increases:

CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC: 1039 (+24)

INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME: 1026 (+35)

MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION: 833 (-5) (they presumably were docked marks/had duplicates or something)

ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION: 765 (+44)

WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC.: 761 (+18)

NJCFSA: 708 (+22)

ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC: 678 (+20)

CFOG, INC: 365 (+20)

CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC: 302 (+15).

So apart from ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION who also increased by 44, all the others didn't get 44.This is worrying.

I don't have time to do the figures but I don't get the impression that there is any sort of trend that the ME/CFS groups are increasing with time. They of course don't have to increase with time once they get the votes at some stage.

Basically I'm concerned people could be too relaxed as all 6/7 have been in the top 100 for a while. I think there is a good chance only 2 will win prizes and possibly none unless there is more of an effort. It wouldn't take that much more to get groups over the line.

I think the most important statistic to watch is 100th position and the votes associated with it (101st might be slightly more interesting but we can't see that).

expect this figure will increase as time goes on (i.e. it could go for example +39, +44, +49, +54, etc. - doubt it will be that exact of course) and certainly at the end I expect big jumps.
The groups we are supporting need to be getting more than these figures in each period to ensure they are not risking losing out.

MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION: 833 (-5) (they presumably were docked marks/had duplicates or something)

So apart from ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION who also increased by 44, all the others didn't get 44.This is worrying.

I don't have time to do the figures but I don't get the impression that there is any sort of trend that the ME/CFS groups are increasing with time. They of course don't have to increase with time once they get the votes at some stage.

Basically I'm concerned people could be too relaxed as all 6/7 have been in the top 100 for a while. I think there is a good chance only 2 will win prizes and possibly none unless there is more of an effort. It wouldn't take that much more to get groups over the line.
100TH =656 (+53) (so +39, +44, +53 ...)

#31 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,063 (+24)

#34 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,055 (+29)

#54 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 862 (+29)

#62 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 786 (+19)

#63 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 784 (+23)

#78 NJCFSA 727 (+19)

#86 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 705 (+27)

#160 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 379 (+14)

#181 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 311 (+9)

So none of the groups were close to getting the 53 votes that 100th position jumped by in those 12 hours!

53 votes isn't an impossible amount to get - I know groups have got that amount and more in previous time periods.

Good point Dolphin! The contest was very volatile last year. Last year, as I remember, PANDORA looked like it was in great shape until the last 3 days when it started falling dramatically in the standings. Only a big last minute get out the vote campaign kept it in winnings. I think we'll need to get more than 40 new votes a day....

Good point Dolphin! The contest was very volatile last year. Last year, as I remember, PANDORA looked like it was in great shape until the last 3 days when it started falling dramatically in the standings. Only a big last minute get out the vote campaign kept it in winnings. I think we'll need to get more than 40 new votes a day....
Those were 12-hour jumps: +39, +44, +53, ...

Over the past two days CFSKnowledgeCenter drops 8 points, IACFS/ME drops 3, Mass stays put, Rocky Mtn goes up three, Wisconsin goes up two, New Jersey falls 6, and Enterovirus Foundation booms up 13 points.

<ul><li>CFSKnowledge Center - #31</li>
<li>AACFS (IACFS/ME) - #34</li>
<li>Mass CFIDS - #54 </li>
<li>Rocky Mton - #62</li>
<li>Wisconsin- #63</li>
<li>New Jersey CFA - #72</li>
<li>Enterovirus Foundation - #86</li></ul>

I guess I'm the only one bothered by the fact that in order to VOTE I have to hand over my personal information (including Friend Lists) to Chase? Personally I find this sort of "philanthropy ala American Idol" rather offensive. Good Luck to the CFS/CFIDS/FM groups, but until there's a way to "vote" without using Facebook, I can't help out.

If anyone knows of a way to vote without using FB, please let me know.

I guess I'm the only one bothered by the fact that in order to VOTE I have to hand over my personal information (including Friend Lists) to Chase?
Other people have noticed this (it came up in previous contests) and generally have felt they wanted to do something for the cause so felt it was still worth doing i.e. they did a risks/benefits analysis.

My trust of FB and big banks is at virtually zero, so that puts the risks too high . . .

I tend to agree with the analysis made here:
http://handswideopen.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/popularity-contest-philanthropy/

especially in terms of there being no assurance that the organizations "winning" are actually doing any good for their causes . . .

Not to mention the whole problem with folks thinking that a "Facebook Action" actually makes a difference . . . lots of "politics of mass distraction" going on these days. IMHO

My trust of FB and big banks is at virtually zero, so that puts the risks too high . . .

I tend to agree with the analysis made here:
http://handswideopen.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/popularity-contest-philanthropy/

especially in terms of there being no assurance that the organizations "winning" are actually doing any good for their causes . . .

Not to mention the whole problem with folks thinking that a "Facebook Action" actually makes a difference . . . lots of "politics of mass distraction" going on these days. IMHO

It's a personal choice whether people want to vote or not but I really urge people to. I am almost NEVER on Facebook but I have an account on it purely to vote and raise money for our charities. Because I am rarely on it, I have no information on it practically so there is very little info given to Chase when I vote. For people who do have info on their account, there are ways to limit the information given out.

I can't speak for non-ME/CFS charities of course but for many of the ME/CFS charities on this list, they have done a fair amount for people with ME/CFS, including dissemination of information, allowing people with ME/CFS to connect with each other worldwide, speaking up for better funding/ recognition by the US government, holding conferences for ME/CFS researchers/ clinicians to learn about and discuss ideas, etc.

And please do not disparage "Facebook Actions." People here and on other forums have raised nearly $200,000 over the last two years using only Facebook contests. This is good for any group of people and AMAZING for a group who are often confined to their homes or beds.

If you have a better, quicker, easier way to raise more money, please share those ideas with us.

100TH =656 (+53) (so +39, +44, +53 ...)

#31 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,063 (+24)

#34 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,055 (+29)

#54 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 862 (+29)

#62 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 786 (+19)

#63 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 784 (+23)

#78 NJCFSA 727 (+19)

#86 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 705 (+27)

#160 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 379 (+14)

#181 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 311 (+9)

So none of the groups were close to getting the 53 votes that 100th position jumped by in those 12 hours!

53 votes isn't an impossible amount to get - I know groups have got that amount and more in previous time periods.

100th = 696 (+40).

All 7 charities in the top 100 got more than this. :Sign Good Job:

#30 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,118 (+63)

#32 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,115 (+52)

#51 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 920 (+58)

#61 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 866 (+80)

#65 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 831 (+47)

#81 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 782 (+77)

#85 NJCFSA 770 (+43)

#162 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 409 (+30)

#181 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 332 (+21)

I don't think this got in yet. From the Facebook Non-profit Fundraising group.
FOCUS on the IACFS/MEWhat is the focus/purpose of your nonprofit--research, advocacy, education, support? Please describe briefly. Founded in 1990, the IACFS/ME is a multidisciplinary organization of scientists, clinicians, educators, and patients dedicated to the study, care and treatmentof individuals with CFS/ME and fibromyalgia. Our advocacy efforts include regular presentations on timely issues at the DHHS-sponsored CFS Advisory Committee meetings in Washington, DC. In addition, we have posted position statements on critical issues of interest to the CFS/ME community, including the PACE trial, DSM5, the hold on MLV studies, and leadership of the CDC CFS program. Our educational efforts have focused on workshops for clinicians held at our more recent international meetings (9/2011: Ottawa; 3/2009; Reno). These workshops have enrolled hundreds of professionals who want learn more about diagnosis, treatment and ongoing clinical care of patients with CFS/ME. What projects/areas has your organization funded? IACFS/ME sponsors biennial international conferences to stimulate research and collaboration in the study of CFS/ME and fibromyalgia. This open scientific forum includes over 500 biomedical and behavioral professionals who study these illnesses with respect to causation, persistence, and treatment. Currently, we are funding an ongoing effort (over the past 18 months) to develop a concise, user-friendly, and evidence-based CFS/ME Primer for physicians and other health practitioners that is expected to be completed by the end of 2011. Fred Friedberg chairs the primer committee of 12 respected CFS/ME professionals. In the last two years we have regularly published a quarterly peer review journal (Bulletin of the IACFS/ME) and a Newsletter (3x a year) which contain recent scientific studies as well as abstracts, opinion pieces, announcements, and other information of interest to the CFS/ME professional and patient communities.About how many members does your group have? (if applicable)Currently, 400.How would you plan to use prize money?The prize money would be used to help support these specific goals: (1) funding medical students and young investigators to attend our next international conference who may be considering a career in the area of CFS/ME; and (2) Design, production and dissemination of hard copies of the new Physicians Primer for CFS/ME to primary care doctors and other health practitioners.

100th = 696 (+40).

All 7 charities in the top 100 got more than this. :Sign Good Job:

#30 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,118 (+63)

#32 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,115 (+52)

#51 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 920 (+58)

#61 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 866 (+80)

#65 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 831 (+47)

#81 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 782 (+77)

#85 NJCFSA 770 (+43)

#162 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 409 (+30)

#181 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 332 (+21)
100th position=757 (+61) - the biggest jump yet.
So recently the jumps have been: +39, +44, +53, +40, +61

In the one before this, the 7 charities got more than the number 100th went up; this time none of them got that number. :(

#32 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,154 (+36)

#33 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,144 (+26)

#52 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 964 (+44)

#66 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 893 (+27)

#67 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 864 (+33)

#81 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 815 (+32)

#93 NJCFSA Florham Park, NJ 796 (+26)

#164 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 434 (+25)

#181 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 348 (+16)

100th position=757 (+61) - the biggest jump yet.
So recently the jumps have been: +39, +44, +53, +40, +61

In the one before this, the 7 charities got more than the number 100th went up; this time none of them got that number. :(

#32 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,154 (+36)

#33 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,144 (+26)

#52 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 964 (+44)

#66 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 893 (+27)

#67 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 864 (+33)

#81 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 815 (+32)

#93 NJCFSA Florham Park, NJ 796 (+26)

#164 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 434 (+25)

#181 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 348 (+16)

The charge is starting. :-(

100TH =832 (+75)

None of the groups went up by that amount although the IACFS/ME were just one off it.

So recently the jumps have been: +39, +44, +53, +40, +61, +75

I would say outside the top two, the odds for the each of the others are less than 50/50.

#30 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,228 (+74)

#35 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,194 (+50)

#53 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 1,016 (+52)

#69 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 931 (+38)

#72 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 906 (+42)

#87 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 862 (+47)

#92 NJCFSA Florham Park, NJ 850 (+54)

#158 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 481 (+47)

#181 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 368 (+20)

The charge is starting. :-(

100TH =832 (+75)

None of the groups went up by that amount although the IACFS/ME were just one off it.

So recently the jumps have been: +39, +44, +53, +40, +61, +75

I would say outside the top two, the odds for the each of the others are less than 50/50.

#30 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,228 (+74)

#35 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,194 (+50)

#53 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 1,016 (+52)

#69 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 931 (+38)

#72 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 906 (+42)

#87 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 862 (+47)

#92 NJCFSA Florham Park, NJ 850 (+54)

#158 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 481 (+47)

#181 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 368 (+20)
Better news: 100th only went up by 50 votes: 100th = 882 (+50)

So recently the jumps have been: +39, +44, +53, +40, +61, +75, +50.

the IACFS/ME got 3 more than this, MASS CFIDS the same and the other 5 in the top 100 were all within 14 i.e. none lost major ground. :Retro smile:

So I'm feeling a lot more confident than yesterday for some of the groups. However, groups still need to keep getting votes as other contests suggest a big charge late in the contest.

#30 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME/ME Chicago, IL 1,281 (+53)

#34 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL 1,231 (+37)

#56 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS/ME & FM ASSOCIATION Quincy, MA 1,066 (+50)

#72 ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS/ME AND FM ASSOCIATION Denver, CO 967 (+36)

#76 WI MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, ASSN, INC. Sun Prairie, WI 945 (+39)

#90 ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC San Francisco, CA 896 (+36)

#93 NJCFSA Florham Park, NJ 893 (+43)

#158 CFOG, INC Kennesaw, GA 512 (+31)

#180 CONNECTICUT-CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUNE DYSFNCTN SYNDROME ASSOC INC Milford, CT 391 (+23)