• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

California Physician

Due to two tricky MTHFR (compound heterozygous 677 and 1298) mutations, I have an increased risk of cardiovascular disease (clotting, atherosclerosis, thrombosis). Many of the symptoms I am currently experiencing point me in this direction. Can anyone direct me to a California physician who can properly evaluate my situation. Unfortunately, all doctors I have seen so far can't get past the fact that I look young and healthy, and am not overweight.

Freddd

Due to two tricky MTHFR (compound heterozygous 677 and 1298) mutations, I have an increased risk of cardiovascular disease (clotting, atherosclerosis, thrombosis). Many of the symptoms I am currently experiencing point me in this direction. Can anyone direct me to a California physician who can properly evaluate my situation. Unfortunately, all doctors I have seen so far can't get past the fact that I look young and healthy, and am not overweight.

Hi Therron,

Yep, the old "You don't look sick enough" dodge. Good luck in finding a doc. There are certainly nutritional things you can do. Mb12/Metafolin can decrease the inflammation of the veins and arteries. Vit E and omega3 oils can influence those problems. Good luck.

greenshots

My daughter's practitioner is good & she does Skype in California. She's a bit on the over through side so will want your records since she can't examine you. She works with my dad's cardiologist a lot & advises him on these defects since he's on board but doesn't understand much of it. My neighbor recommended her & he's a family doctor, she sees his family. She started out in internal medicine but was going to focus on autism & other kid's issues but when she opened her practice, she got swamped by her old Sutter patients. Now she's seeing both and it's called Autism Neutrigenomics & Adult Biomedicine or something close to that. I think her practice turned out to be mostly adults instead of kid's in the end.

www.autismnti.com

My daughter's practitioner is good & she does Skype in California. She's a bit on the over through side so will want your records since she can't examine you. She works with my dad's cardiologist a lot & advises him on these defects since he's on board but doesn't understand much of it. My neighbor recommended her & he's a family doctor, she sees his family. She started out in internal medicine but was going to focus on autism & other kid's issues but when she opened her practice, she got swamped by her old Sutter patients. Now she's seeing both and it's called Autism Neutrigenomics & Adult Biomedicine or something close to that. I think her practice turned out to be mostly adults instead of kid's in the end.

www.autismnti.com
Thank you for this referral. I checked out her website, and she looks like a practitioner that I would be comfortable seeing. Unfortunately, she has no appointments available until next October!

greenshots

Thank you for this referral. I checked out her website, and she looks like a practitioner that I would be comfortable seeing. Unfortunately, she has no appointments available until next October!

I was surprised by this so went to the site. I think it isn't allowing you to make an appointment because there's the 6 week waiting list. There's a note below the make appointment button that discusses this. I don't think that 6-8 weeks is too bad since I've waited for 6 months or longer in the past for so many doctors that turned out to be worthless. I think she' worth the wait. I hope I'm right about this but you might want to call or email where it says to content them for an appointment.

Angela

You could call Life Extension (www.lef.org) to ask them for a list of doctors in your area that follow their practices. I found a great doctor that way but after I learned so much from him I left him because he was toooo expensive.

You could call Life Extension (www.lef.org) to ask them for a list of doctors in your area that follow their practices. I found a great doctor that way but after I learned so much from him I left him because he was toooo expensive.

Hi Rydra and Angela,
Thank you so much for your kind referrals. Since my original post, things have definitely taken a turn for the worse (drat.....I WAS making progress). I have had two scary electric-shock-like seizures (I think due to low potassium). I tried to "do the right thing" and consult my MD and neurologist. Seriously, all I got was the disinterested-in-your-crazy-unknown-symptoms look, despite not being able to move or speak during these incidents and having a numb tongue and unfocused eyes for days, despite having increased blood pressure (which my neurologist didn't even bother to check), and despite have two MTHFR genes that lead to early strokes and heart attacks. So, after two calls to the one doctor who knows about MTHFR but is too busy to see me, one visit to a the last GP I saw for a yearly physical, a trip to Urgent Care, and another to the emergency room, I am still waiting for my newly referred neurologist to tell me what my MRI says. I guess the only good thing that came out of this incident was that we found a needle in a haystack...................well, really.............. a needle in my brain! CT scan showed a piece of a needle I fell on when I was 4 years old. Weirdly, that's exactly where the electrical misfiring headed during both "seizures".
Onward and forward. I am seeing the NP suggested by greenshots. This Friday! I will also check our your referral, Rydra. Wishing you both good health and a large dose of humor. We need it to get through all of this.

greenshots

I know, its really sad how badly people are treated in medicine! Its more like we a processing meat than patients and was the biggest reason I had to leave the ICU. How strange about the needle! i hope this is something they would be able to remove but I would look into the gamma knife before I looked at typcal surgery. It may not be the exact thing for you but I've known patients who have had it with good results and its not invasive!

I'm glad your getting into see her, you won't be disapointed! i can't wait to hear how it goes!
Angela

Hi Rydra and Angela,
Thank you so much for your kind referrals. Since my original post, things have definitely taken a turn for the worse (drat.....I WAS making progress). I have had two scary electric-shock-like seizures (I think due to low potassium). I tried to "do the right thing" and consult my MD and neurologist. Seriously, all I got was the disinterested-in-your-crazy-unknown-symptoms look, despite not being able to move or speak during these incidents and having a numb tongue and unfocused eyes for days, despite having increased blood pressure (which my neurologist didn't even bother to check), and despite have two MTHFR genes that lead to early strokes and heart attacks. So, after two calls to the one doctor who knows about MTHFR but is too busy to see me, one visit to a the last GP I saw for a yearly physical, a trip to Urgent Care, and another to the emergency room, I am still waiting for my newly referred neurologist to tell me what my MRI says. I guess the only good thing that came out of this incident was that we found a needle in a haystack...................well, really.............. a needle in my brain! CT scan showed a piece of a needle I fell on when I was 4 years old. Weirdly, that's exactly where the electrical misfiring headed during both "seizures".
Onward and forward. I am seeing the NP suggested by greenshots. This Friday! I will also check our your referral, Rydra. Wishing you both good health and a large dose of humor. We need it to get through all of this.