• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CORT are u on the CHEEKY ME CALENDER 2012? I bought 3! Did u buys your yet?

lartista

http://www.cheekyme.org/
This cheeky calendar for 2012 is being sold to raise funds for Invest in ME. The men featured in this calendar, who themselves suffer from ME, bravely decided to bare all, well nearly all, in the name of raising funds for the charity's biomedical research fund.

These fine examples of the male species were brave enough to get the project this far, now it's over to you to make it a success. Please help by buying your copy of the calendar, and whilst you're at it, maybe another for a friend.

For just 6.00 including p&p for UK delivery, with all profit going direct to Invest in ME.

The calendars are in the process of being printed so we are taking orders now and we expect to start deliveries within the next 28 days.

dannybex

I'm sorry, I'm no prude in any way at all, but I think it's a terrible idea.

It just gives the psych lobby more ammunition, as they'll no doubt say "You're obviously not sick -- you're posing for fancy photo shoots, with flowers, in bathtubs, etc., etc., etc. Why don't you get a job modeling?"

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I'm sorry, I'm no prude in any way at all, but I think it's a terrible idea.

It just gives the psych lobby more ammunition, as they'll no doubt say "You're obviously not sick -- you're posing for fancy photo shoots, with flowers, in bathtubs, etc., etc., etc. Why don't you get a job modeling?"

I agree with Danny. Also, I don't understand the concept. Why would someone have sick people pose almost naked for a calendar? For example, would someone suggest men sick with Leukemia pose nude for a calendar? I am no prude either. I just don't understand why? I think the psych lobby could look at this and it would reaffirm to them that they were right.

I am not trying to be rude or difficult. I just don't think it is appropriate.

lartista

It's ok that you feel that way but I do not. I think it is a creative way to get the word out. But it is ok we all see things differently. Cort.... I guess I should stop the rumor that you posed for one of the months.... hee hee. just kidding. By the way Cort please get me a way to contact call you directly. This situation with my insurance company is getting unbelievable with what is happening now and I need to speak with you on where we go from here.... Francesca

I don't think that anyone would stoop so low as to use this to attack people with CFS. If they tried, I don't think it would work.

I know we have to put up with a lot, and that can make one overly cautious, but I don't think that anyone should have a problem with this (other than Cort's stubborn refusal to oil up for it).

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
I agree with Danny. Also, I don't understand the concept. Why would someone have sick people pose almost naked for a calendar? For example, would someone suggest men sick with Leukemia pose nude for a calendar? I am no prude either. I just don't understand why?

The idea of calendars like these has developed out of the 2003 UK film "Calendar Girls" - a comedy about middle-aged ladies who are members of the Woman's Institute who pose for a nude calendar to raise funds for cancer research (the husband of one of the ladies in the film has leukemia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_Girls with a nod to the film the "Full Monty".

"Calendar Girls" was later adapted for a stage play.

Since then, it's become a popular genre for fund raising calendars.

I agree, it's not the best, nor the most original idea and I do wonder what the cowboy hat is hanging on and one guy appears to be pushing a lawnmower.

I cant see any problem with the calendar for charity fundraising its a great idea and congratulations to the brave and cheeky guys who posed for it.

Heres the original Calendar Girls members of the Rylstone Women's Institute, in the Yorkshire Dales, who had the idea of stripping off to raise funds for Leukaemia Research when one of their husbands was having treatment for Non-Hodgkins Leukemia.
http://www.seecalendargirls.com/leukaemia_research/

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/calendargirls_cal2.php

According to the Daily Telegraph, the original Womens Institute Calendar Girls started a national craze for charity fundraising nude calendars fellas from local football clubs do it, Firemen do it. its about ordinary people who are not models, raising charity funds and having a laugh
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...lendar-girls-strip-off-for-charity-again.html

I cant see any reason why ME sufferers shouldnt .. and of course fellas can be a teensy bit more uncovered as they dont have so many bits to cover up as us girls do.

Ha Ha! I didn't see that Suzy had just posted and explained the history and concept of the fundraising nude calendars.
Never mind.

taniaaust1

I think its a great idea :)

I applaud those who took part in this fund raising idea. Obviously thou that this is something which wont appeal to everyone.

dannybex

The idea of calendars like these has developed out of the 2003 UK film "Calendar Girls" - a comedy about middle-aged ladies who are members of the Woman's Institute who pose for a nude calendar to raise funds for cancer research (the husband of one of the ladies in the film has leukemia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_Girls with a nod to the film the "Full Monty".

"Calendar Girls" was later adapted for a stage play.

Since then, it's become a popular genre for fund raising calendars.

I agree, it's not the best, nor the most original idea and I do wonder what the cowboy hat is hanging on and one guy appears to be pushing a lawnmower.

These calendars have been sold in the US for at least a couple of decades, and usually aren't associated with fundraising here. But I guess my main disagreement with your post is that cancer is a disease that is taken seriously -- by everyone -- where ME/CFS is not, by practically everyone. A huge difference. These 'cheeky' calendars, in my humble opinion, just add fuel to that fire.

After all, if one can mow the lawn, and model, etc., why doesn't one just go out and get a job?