• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Checking in with Low and Slow PWCs

Hi All,
I was feeling very toxic on my low slow doses, so I decided to eliminate all, and then start over one at a time. Mistake. After 3-4 days, my whole body hurt, pressure and pain together (vascular?). I do get this pain (only when lying down) when I'm on the supplements, but not to the same degree. So.........I started supplements again and finally figured out a way to add TMG (it always causes a major toxic backup in my gut). Instead of using a low dose TMG tab, I started from the source....beets. I juiced beets and greens for two weeks. Results: my constantly red eyes cleared up, my bowels cleared........and I started a yeast flare...argh! Back to the drawing board. Now I just crumble up a tablet into about 16 pieces and have worked up to a total of about 40 mg. So far so good. I'm going to my Dr. today to redo my Methylation Pathways panel and homocysteine test. I need to check other levels.......I think it's called the Organic Acids Test??? My body seems to go in uneven cycles. While I am thankful that my energy has increased, I am struggling terribly from insomnia. I had a couple of really good nights of sleep in the high Sierras......something to do with Nitric Oxide maybe (no, it wasn't just that I was outdoors and hiking, because other nights I hiked just as much and couldn't sleep)???? I have been a shallow breather for years, and I know this effects my health. Summary of current methylation supps: methylcobalamin 500 mcg, methylfolate 400 mcg, adenosylcobalamin 2 mg, TMG 40 mg, B2, and B6. I still think I need to work my way up due to neurological issues (insomnia, brain fog, pain). Comments and suggestions? I'm going to start lecithin this week.......

Hi Therron,

I just wanted to offer some moral support. Unfortunately I dont have any suggestions, as Im one of the low and slow brigade myself, with a high intolerance to supplements.

Im now in the 13th week of my third attempt of Richs protocol, and Ive only worked up to 2,000mcg HB12 and 200mcg metafolin.

I intend adding in either lecithin or folinic very soon, but Im a little reluctant to from past experience, as I seemed to have stabalised on these doses for the present.

I do think its helping though, and I intend continuing.

Good luck. I know how hard and frustrating it can be.

All the best,

Sandra

suzanne

I am not sure if this will help you, but I have really struggled over the 13 weeks to stay on fredd's protocol because I feel so rotten- I won't go into my worsening of symptoms as i have posted them elsewhere...
BUT, I have found something that may be helping. Someone on here suggested to me add a binder- so i started to take activated charcoal in what I think are quite high doses. i take 3 heaped teaspoons am and pm but away from medications. It has made a tremendous difference - i am even hesitant to post this comment as it has only been 2 weeks but I am having moments of feeling nearly human!

I cant tell you how different I feel. A concrete example is- I was getting migraines almost every day or other day and they havent arrived since the charcoal got added 2 weeks ago. I hope I havent jinxed myself by putting this out there- it is just that it may help others to not suffer unnecessarily. I have felt brave enough to creep up the dose of methyl b12 from 1000mcg to 1250 ( small steps I know but the point is that this binder is making the increased dose tolerable). I have now got charcoal tablets in addition to the powder and I carry them in my bag. If i start to get that awful hangover feeling, i just pop a few capsules- easier than the powder, but not as high a dose. The binder has probably reduced my symptoms by about 50%

Might be helpful for others? Good luck.

Joopiter76

maybe you have a histamine intolerance. this causes sleep problems. if you cant stand cheese for example this may be the case. with histamine intolerance folic acid is usually badly tolerated, an hydrox-B12 should be replaced with methyl-b12. I would also suggest to do the H2S test from Protea Biopharma (de Meirleir) to check for H2S levels. they dont come only from the gut but also from the sulfuration pathway. I would check the homocysteine if its high there is a need for folate if its low, the need for folate is less an low homocysteine suggests that the CBS is "open" which is not good. The H2S causes "toxic feeling" Same problem with me.

maybe you have a histamine intolerance. this causes sleep problems. if you cant stand cheese for example this may be the case. with histamine intolerance folic acid is usually badly tolerated, an hydrox-B12 should be replaced with methyl-b12. I would also suggest to do the H2S test from Protea Biopharma (de Meirleir) to check for H2S levels. they dont come only from the gut but also from the sulfuration pathway. I would check the homocysteine if its high there is a need for folate if its low, the need for folate is less an low homocysteine suggests that the CBS is "open" which is not good. The H2S causes "toxic feeling" Same problem with me.
I definitely have histamine issues. They are always going out of control. I have had some huge progress since the last time I posted, however. I discovered that if I take an anti-inflammatory along with Histame, it helped me I sleep like a baby. It seems that my brain is inflamed to the level of my gut.....which means the bad guys have probably passed the blood-brain barrier and the pressure of the inflammation keeps the "on switch" on. I checked with my alternative physician and he suggested curcurmin as an anti-inflammatory that will cross the blood brain barrier. I will try starting low and slow like always. I haven't been able to take curcurmin in the past...
In the meantime, I was having terrible body pain at night which I couldn't figure out if it was nerve pain, muscular, or cardiovascular. I tried upping my dose of MB12, Mfolate, and TMG to two times a day.........and it worked. Absolutely no pain at night anymore. I'm about 4 days in to this new protocol and no side effects yet. Very encouraging for a low and slow, super excitotoxic PWC.