• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fluge replies to letter "more research needed"

FancyMyBlood

''Based on the current study, there is now a Norwegian national initiative to do a randomized, blinded, multicenter Phase III study to verify or reject the conclusions of the PLoS One study.''

:D

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks for posting this, Nielk. It's a good response. I don't know if we've heard this before:

"Based on the current study, there is now a Norwegian national initiative to do a randomized, blinded, multicenter Phase III study to verify or reject the conclusions of the PLoS One study. "​

Edit: Oh! I seem to have been channelling FancyMyBlood! :D

urbantravels

disjecta membra
The side effects of Rituximab in this particular patient group of patients is of course presently largely unknown, although there is vast experience with the drug in B-cell lymphomas and established autoimmune diseases. We believe the severity of disease in many CFS/ME patients balances the known risks. That was also the opinion of most patients who were given the option to participate in the current study at a time when only three pilot patients had been treated with the drug.

OK, I'll say it againTHOSE CRAZY NORWEGIANS! First they acknowledge that they are dealing with a serious disease, and then they act as if the opinions of patients who have been properly informed of the potential risks of therapy actually merit a place in the discussion!

MADNESS!!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
OK, I'll say it againTHOSE CRAZY NORWEGIANS! First they acknowledge that they are dealing with a serious disease, and then they act as if the opinions of patients who have been properly informed of the potential risks of therapy actually merit a place in the discussion!

MADNESS!!

Yep, radical stuff! :victory:

CBS

MADNESS!!

Absolute madness. And they preceded this madness with:

The critics may have fallen into the same ditch of prejudice as they indicate we have.

Nice response to van der Meer et. als' "astonishment."

wdb

CFS/ME according to Fukuda or Canadian criteria is in many patients a very serious and debilitating disease. Current treatment is for many patients highly unsatisfactory and we believe it is justified to find new interventions and learn more of the pathophysiology, of which we at the time being know little.

I loved this bit, another nice little dig at the Wessely school

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I'm still working on my personal ad to find myself a nice Norwegian national as my second husband. I may be sick and middle-aged, but I have MAJOR mojo left. Don't know how it might work on Norwegians, though.

Jemal

It's the first time I read this response by Van der Meer and Co. Are they trying to stall more serious research into this disease or what? Also, they are making it sound as if thousands of patients are now on retrovirals...

I am probably too cynical, but I am far from amused.

Andrew

Actually, it all turned out very well. Were it not for van der Meer, we would not have the great replies he got. The replies address a lot of issues that other scientists are not aware of.

snowathlete

My brother lives and works in Norway.
I visited there once when i was 16, and thought it was a great place. It does get very very cold mind you.

So does this mean a phase 3 trial might start before the current phase 2 ends? And how long does a phase 3 trial take once its up and running?