• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling COLD?!

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Hi everyone,

For weeks now ive been feeling cold, and my wife has been feeling hot. She does not have ME/CFS.
I want the heating on, she wants the windows open.

We got a thermometer and guess what.....its me who is wrong. its 23C in here, but i feel like its 17/18C.
Is this a normal ME/CFS symptom? I cant find any posts about it.

Thanks

I'm very cold if I foget to take my thyroid med for a couple of days or the same with my testosterone.

Or it can be Raynaud's, which is a common co-morbidity with autoimmune disorders and fibromyalgia, but can also happen by itself. Or it can be from iron deficiency anemia. Dr Myhill has mentioned cold hands as a symptom of magnesium deficiency, but I haven't checked the literature on this.

Yes you are correct. Raynauds is the result of hyperactivation of the SNS. The brain is telling the body to constrict blood vessels when it is not necessary to do so. Also, I heard a lot of patients say Raynaulds is related to hypothyroidism.

I used to have problems feeling cold and having cold extremities because my body temperature was two degrees below normal and I had low blood pressure. The Two things which have fixed this problem for me are high doses of T3 and taking Pregnenolone. I found out that I needed high doeses of T3 because testing showed that my reverse T3 was very high. Many of us with CFS have high reverse T3 because we have one or more chronic infections and one way our bodies are responding is by trying to slow down our metabolisms by turning off the thyroid. One of the effects of this is that it lowers body temperature. Another is that it further hampers our immune systems from functioning properly. I needed a lot of T3 to counteract this effect. Right now I'm on 510 mg a day and my pulse and temperature are finally normal for the first time in years.

I'm also taking 100 mg of Pregnenolone and this has definitely helped improve my ability to tolerate cold. . I'm not sure about other countries, but in the US Pregnenolone is available as a supplement. However, it's important to get a decent brand. I'm using NSI Pregnenolone 50 mg. It's $13 for 180 capsules and it seems to work well for me. I knew that I needed pregnenolone because my blood level was 0. Apparently, this is very common for people with CFS. Interestingly, when I first started taking 100 mg of pregnenolone, my body had problems tolerating the dose. But then I read an article which talked about how the chronic viral infections present in CFS often result in Co-q10 defficiency, and how Co-q10 is necessary for the body to make and utilize Pregnenolone. So I started supplementing with 200 mg of Co-q10. This seems to have worked for me because 100 mg now feels like the right dose for me. Mentally, I feel much more positive, and I do much better in cold weather and so don't have to dread winter like I used to.

hurtingallthetimet

i will feel freezing to the touch but i myself will feel like my skin is burning hot...its very weird...i will have low grade temp often not sure why or if that makes a difference...

my hubby has actually awaken me becuase i felt so cold to the touch he thouhgt i had passed away...its kinda morbid but that is how cold my skin will feel to the touch but like i said i myself will feel like without touching that i am burning hot...wierd

u&iraok

i will feel freezing to the touch but i myself will feel like my skin is burning hot...its very weird...i will have low grade temp often not sure why or if that makes a difference...

my hubby has actually awaken me becuase i felt so cold to the touch he thouhgt i had passed away...its kinda morbid but that is how cold my skin will feel to the touch but like i said i myself will feel like without touching that i am burning hot...wierd

I'm directly opposite. I feel cold myself but I'm very warm to the touch, exept my hands and feet which are cold. It's like all my body heat is escaping. When I first got ME I had low grade fevers but now I can't get a fever when I catch a virus.

In the winter I wear long underwear, sweats and a fleece jacket and have a space heater on. Sometimes I put on a hat and scarf. And that's just when I'm inside!

P.S. Our being cold could partially just be simply because we're not always moving around like healthy people do, but resting and laying down a lot. But that's definitely not the main reason.

Artstu

I think I run with a slight low grade fever all the time, so I quite like the cold most of the time, I'm amazed to now feel comfortable in the house at temperatures down to around 12 degrees centigrade.