• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Annette Whittmore interview

Nielk

Annette Whittemore Interview Oct 2011
[video=youtube_share;GPnZ-G-Gvu0]http://youtu.be/GPnZ-G-Gvu0[/video]
Annette Whittemore, Founder and President of Whittemore Peterson Institute Interviewed by Sam Shad on Nevada Newsmakers 26th October 2011 Nevada Newsmakers C...

Deatheye

bhaa I just kinda got angry about the be patient part. easily sad if you don't get it yourself and your daughter can get help wheras a lot of other people get missthreated and don't have access to helpfull threatments....
I think I need sleep normaly I don't get angry about something like that...

Boule de feu

bhaa I just kinda got angry about the be patient part. easily sad if you don't get it yourself and your daughter can get help wheras a lot of other people get missthreated and don't have access to helpfull threatments....
I think I need sleep normaly I don't get angry about something like that...

That doesn't bother me at all. If I remember correctly this whole thing started because of her daughter. If Andrea would not be sick, the institute would not exist. Could someone correct me if i'm wrong?

Enid

Thanks Nielk - it just so good from this distance to see the Whittemore Peterson carrying on regardless of "politics" hype etc. - all possibilities still it seems. Good on them.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I guess I'm not sure what she even really said. Overall it's a message to let us know that the WPI is still dedicated and working towards a cause. But beyond that, there wasn't any detail, so I'm a bit dissapointed.

She has said that WPI is re-prioritizing their research. I would like to hear an explanation of what is being re-prioritized and why. Is it because of the BWG results? What is different and what is the same?

BTW, does anyone know what happened to their page on FB, I haven't been able to get to it for awhile.

Wayne

I thought the best part of the interview started at around 10:45. Annette was asked about NIH contributions in this area of research, and she replied that one study has shown XMRV can infect neuronal cells in the brain. She mentioned another paper indicates how easily XMRV may be transmissible (air-borne), something very rare for a retro-virus.

Nielk

The way I see it. She did the interview to let us know that they are still in business and that this wasn't a one man/woman show. There is a team and the team is still there and continuing the work.

Specialk - I'm sure it's because of the BWG results. It threw them into a loop. What do they do now? I'm not a scientist but I would think that they have to retrace their steps to see where they went wrong. She did mention comparing two separate labs.

I think she probably can't say much more till the HHS decides who gets the grant for the study.

People are saying that she is only doing this work because her daughter is sick. First of all, that is not a bad reason. Secondly, her daughter is thank God feeling better. Annette could technically step away now and forget about the rest of us but, she is choosing to continue working at it. I personally give her a lot of credit.

As far as the facebook page - why is this so crucial? My guess is that many people who are big fans of Judy might have posted not very nice things on their page. She might want to wait till things calm down a little to put it back on.

I know that many people are big fans of Judy and I have nothing against her - to me she seemed like a very hard working, caring scientist who wanted to find the answer to our plight. I just think that people forgot very quickly that it is Annette who started the WPI and it is Annette who hired Judy to come work there.

What really happened behind closed doors to have impelled Annette to fire Judy, I don't know and I doubt too many people know the real truth.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I think the overall message is that they are continuing to look for XMRV, but this time they are looking for it in the tissue. However, they are also going to look into other pathogens. The other pathogens part confused me. Are they looking for other causes or are they looking for other pathogens in combination with XMRV that could be making people sick?

Tony Mach

Show me the evidence.
I think the overall message is that they are continuing to look for XMRV, but this time they are looking for it in the tissue. However, they are also going to look into other pathogens. The other pathogens part confused me. Are they looking for other causes or are they looking for other pathogens in combination with XMRV that could be making people sick?

The claim was: "We find XMRV in the blood of PWME, and not in healthy controls." As it turns out, nobody can distinguish patients from controls, by looking for XMRV in the blood. At least not under properly blinded conditions. The VIPdx (and WPI?) results look 100% like contamination. Totally random. XMRV is only in labs and lab material. There is no XMRV in the blood of people. If there were, another lab would have found it now. (Except for Mikovits mystical "secret labs", which are afraid to come forward, of course.)

So for me, now starting to looking for XMRV in tissue, when the claim was "we can find it in blood", is simply stupid.

Yes please, look for other pathogens. And please clean up the XMRV mess. I want a statement "We retraced all of our steps, ran a lot of tests and this is what happened with regards to XMRV." Mikovits can't do it. I never heard a single sceptical word from her about her own work. But I don't know if the Whittmores can clean up this mess. Oh well, I should give them some time.

Daffodil

i didnt get the feeling that they will continue on the xmrv path.....but because of how the HIV meds helped me, i am sure glad dr. mikovits is still on it.

Content removed. Sharing information deleted by the author is considered a personal attack, which all PR forum members are protected from.

You can't be skeptical to your work and work pretending to probe that you believe in, doesn't make sense?

Furthermore, in case of contamination, maybe Mikovits thinks if any contamination may occur that will be from lab equipment manufacturers, so she thinks that didn't happen...
The question is, they prepare the tissues themselves or are "imported"? Shy didn't Mikovits to to another lab and test for herself the findings in blood?

Daffodil

i called UNEVX labs weeks ago and they told me it would be 2 years before they have HGRV tests....then i called them a few days ago again, and they said they don't even know if they will be testing for them at all. they said they are a separate lab and the research is at WPI.

if we want HGRV research and want to donate money for that, i wonder if we should wait until dr. mikovits is hired somewhere else..