• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A question about THE apology

max

Sorry to waste a new thread title but ...............

Is a trial involving ONLY 30 patients enough evidence for Norway to issue an apology? Is that all it takes in Norway? 30 people?

Doesn't it take replication studies? Why has the Norway government caved in after such a small study? I often see reference to 5000 studies concerning the biological nature of this illness - what has changed so significantly? So we have 5001 now - is there something I am missing?

Probably a very simple answer - but I don't know what it is.

Enid

I think it may be to with the Norwegian ME Assoc - I know they have been working all my 12 years to bring the plight of suffers to the attention of all gov, public bodies, health authority, press, Docs, centres for treatment etc. It is a well known and widely respected Charity not only in Oslo but internationally now making ME a major health consideration.

max

Hi Enid

Even when the researchers themselves issued caution? The government just said OK, just to be on the safe side, we apologise for 25years of abuse?

max

it usually takes till most are dead before a government will apologise (see silverB's post in the advocacy section for examples) -

Is Norway THAT resonable/sensible?

Enid

max - they would do that now - it's a personal friend who started Norwegian ME at least 12 years ago and raised it's profile to one of national importance healthwise. And as I know just thoroughly decent and thoroughly reasonable. The importance of the Charity's work is now reflected in a Norwegian honour. ME is taken very seriously indeed.

max

I'm stunned - things like this do not happen - doesn't this give us shed loads of ammo?

Enid

Not so max - the apology is for the mistreatment of ME sufferers over all the years (with psychiatric emphasis as per SW) - now they know the autoimmune component. Yes lots of ammo there really. I was interested to see the findings on the Agenda for the next All Party Parliamentary meeting (tomorrow I think) so there is no stopping this one.

Sing

The first doctor I ever had who took me seriously and diagnosed CFS (would now be ME) was in 97-98. She was a Family Practitioner who read a lot of international research, and I remember that she was particularly interested in what the Norwegians were coming up with. That was when I got the idea that there was a beam of intelligent thought and study coming from Norway.

max

All I can say is .......wow......... still not convinced though. When's the Norwegian government sending a representitive to the UK - we need to speak to him !

Enid

Don't think a Norwegian rep's quite needed - there has been ongoing dialogue between Norwegian ME and Iime and the major research figures for years (KDM, Mikovits, Chia, Beiger etc). This latest research will be taken up by all the major Charities here too.

Smygen

Not so serious ;)
I've been posting this several places her now, because i see the same question all over
hehe

But.... Could it be that it was cancer doctors that found this, that makes it more serious ? Not researchers or scientists..... But ordinary cancer doc's, from what i know
:thumbsup:

currer

Norway is a rich country with ample money from offshore oil.

They are financially independent of the US and are not a member of the European Union so they are politically and economically independent.

They did not get involved in the recent orgy of uncontrolled financial speculation which destroyed so much of the banking system and are therefore financially solvent.

They are one of the very few social democracies left in Europe so they see government as being responsible to the citizen, and for the welfare of the citizen.

They have no reason therefore to deny the obvious to protect multinational financial interests against the wellbeing of their own citizens.

I hope we can get proper acknowledgement, help and treatment soon. But I do fear that it is unlikely that ME will be accepted as a valid illness however much proof there is until there is a cheap cure or treatment which can be used on the population, and an indemnity in place to ensure that the insurance firms do not have to compensate the million sick in the US for past denial of health insurance cover.

It has always been obvious that ME is a physical disorder.
The ever increasing burden of proof placed upon those researchers and doctors who try to help patients has existed only to delay or prevent those sick citizens form being a cost to the state or multinational insurance companies.