• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural Killer Cell Deficiency anyone?

RUkiddingME

Hello everyone:

I have had every possible tests done through a Fatigue Clinic in the US and the most alarming result for me was my Natural Killer Cell level;

Less than 8 LU30 = decreased activity
8-170 LU30= Normal Activity
more than 170 LU30= Increased activity

My level was "6"

This is what is says below my result:

Natural killer cells, a component of the cell-mediated arm of the immune system, mediate destruction of some types of tumor cells and virus-infected cells. Decreased NK cytotoxicity is associated with impaired immune suveillance, and may explain a predisposition to malignancies and viral infections.

Any one else have levels this low and should I be worried???

alex3619

Hi Calgarynat, low NK cell activity (usually measured as cytotoxicity activity) is an extremely common finding in ME and CFS. It is so common that it is being considered as a biomarker and a number of research teams are looking into it in the USA, Japan and Australia. Klimas is one of the researchers in the USA.

I think I have read of lower results than yours.

This is a hot area of research. One Japanese study showed that improving NKCC (NK cell cytotoxicity) reduced symptoms, but this is still early in the research . I don't have references handy, I am in the process of shutting down my current computer and setting up a new one - but there are one or more threads on this on Phoenix Rising.

The Australian research is pointing to an actual deficiency of one type of NK cell (called dim I think, the other is bright). I think this refers to how they look under an optical microscope, but thats just a guess.

This marker is indeed worrying, but only because it might be a core problem in ME and CFS. Most of us have it to some degree. I have not personally been tested however.

Bye
Alex

RUkiddingME

Thank you Alex for that information. I feel a little better knowing that it is that common. I have started taking Maitake d fraction (mushroom) supplement as I read it can help increase NK cell activity. I also just read the thread about Dr. Peterson's latest update and NK cells was a big part of the article. Hopefully we'll get closer to some concrete proof with this type of testing that might help us suffereres in getting closer to some answers.

Ciao
Nat

searcher

NK cell function does seem to be the best biomarker we have so far. My level was a 7, and my doctor said that single digits were pretty common in the patients he sees, so you are definitely not alone. No one has found a reliable way to increase our levels (I think because we really need to fix the mysterious, underlying cause,) but the mushroom supplements, astralagus, and whey protein have studies showing they can increase NK function.
cheer

u&iraok

Also, Blue-Green Algae, aka Aphanizomenon flos-aquae or AFA, increases NK function:

Recently, the first stage of an extensive research project carried out at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal, Canada produced some remarkable results. The entire project studies the effect of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA) on the immune and endocrine systems, as well as on general blood physiology. In the performance of this project it was discovered that eating AFA had a profound and unique effect on Natural Killer cells. These results were recently published under the title: Effects of the Blue Green Algae Aphanizomenon flos-aquae on Human Natural Killer Cells. It appears in Chapter 3.1 of the IBC Library Series, Volume 1911, "Phytoceuticals: Examining the health benefit and pharmaceutical properties of natural antioxidants and phytochemicals."

The team of research scientists at the Royal Victoria Hospital, led by Dr. Gitte S. Jensen, discovered that:

Within two hours after eating 1.5 grams of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, an average of 40% of the blood NK cells (one billion) left the bloodstream and migrated into the tissues. They further discovered that in some cases the NK cells that remained in the bloodstream had two to three times as many adhesion molecules as they did before the Aphanizomenon flos-aquae was eaten. After a few hours, the NK cells had returned to the bloodstream.

Conclusion

Eating Aphanizomenon flos-aquae triggers the movement of 40% of the circulating NK cells from the blood to the tissues where their main function is to perform immune surveillance and eliminate cancerous and virally-infected cells. Further research may prove that eating a small amount of AFA every day could assist in the prevention of cancer and viral infections. No other substance is known to trigger such a movement of NK cells in the body.

Athene

ihateticks.me
If you have low NK cells you must get a good western blot test for Lyme disease done. That's the commonest cause of LOW NK absolute number and low NK activity.

RUkiddingME

Thanks for the all the information! I did get tested twice for Lyme and thankfully came back normal. I do show antibodies or slightly elevated titers for Coxsackie B3, HHV6 and EBV.

FernRhizome

NK cell testing, any lab?

Hi, does anyone know if it matters what lab does the NK cell testing? Or is it a very routine test that can be done anywhere?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Bond uni study tested NK activity, NK DIM cell activity, NK bright cell activity
reference range 13.8-34.8 60-88 5-10
dec 2009 33 76.9 4.32 i was on famvir previous 12 months and feeling dam good at this stage as number shows this.
May10 6 82.1 1 I had stopped after famvir 12 months but relapsed and felt like crap
Dec10 51.91 73 1.95 I was on famvir and cycloferon.

I think this shows in me that antiviral famvir helps improve nk function and cycloferon is an additive effect. The nk bright cells are the things they are finding abnormal in cfs and hardest to try to change with treatment, but general nk activity can be improved.

cheers!!!

Daffodil

i had NK cell function of "2". i was pretty much on my deathbed. antivirals/lyme treatment will raise them higher....but i think only HIV meds will bring them back to healthy levels, which is 60 - 80 i think. i was 60 in my last test.

ampligen will also do it.

Some thoughts on nk cells. Low nk function was found in CFS patients in Japan in the 1980s, and it was therefore named low natural killer cell syndrome. However i think over time japanese researchers moved away from this, and my vague understanding is that they do not place much emphasis on the immune system now, i think their focus is the brain.
When i lived in Japan in the mid 90s and came down with cfs i had a nk function test and it was low, 6%.
I think nk cell function is important for cfs, and reading the norwegian research I hypothesise as follows. An initial immune insult, virus, vaccination or chemicals triggers a chronic humoral th2 response, because of this nk cell activity is driven low, allowing chronic and latent infections which keep the negative cycle going. I've recently had a vaccination, and i relapsed, probably because my b cell humoral immunity got activated.
This is why i think the b cell depleting drug works, it breaks this cycle.
Based on personal experience i would be careful with mushrooms extracts as they boost humoral th2 immunity as well as nk cells, my condition worsened in particular food allergies

Tristen

Some thoughts on nk cells. Low nk function was found in CFS patients in Japan in the 1980s, and it was therefore named low natural killer cell syndrome. However i think over time japanese researchers moved away from this, and my vague understanding is that they do not place much emphasis on the immune system now, i think their focus is the brain.
When i lived in Japan in the mid 90s and came down with cfs i had a nk function test and it was low, 6%.
I think nk cell function is important for cfs, and reading the norwegian research I hypothesise as follows. An initial immune insult, virus, vaccination or chemicals triggers a chronic humoral th2 response, because of this nk cell activity is driven low, allowing chronic and latent infections which keep the negative cycle going. I've recently had a vaccination, and i relapsed, probably because my b cell humoral immunity got activated.
This is why i think the b cell depleting drug works, it breaks this cycle.
Based on personal experience i would be careful with mushrooms extracts as they boost humoral th2 immunity as well as nk cells, my condition worsened in particular food allergies

Me too Matt. I learned long ago to stay away from all Immune stimulants, and many of the modulators as well. That includes the mushroom extracts like AHCC, etc.

RUkiddingME

It's so hard to know what to do. I go to a Fibro and Fatigue Center in the US (now called Chronicity) and I've been put on maitake d fraction, anti-viral (natural ingredients plus 1,500 mg of N-Acetyl L Cysteine plus artemisin. I'm still bed ridden. I'm tempted to stick with some good old natural coconut oil which is popular for its anti-viral benefits. What is a girl to do!

Nielk

I am wondering if there is anything new since the last posting on this subject?

I just got my result of NK cell LU30 function. It is a 3 with reference range 8-170.

My doctor gave me a "mushroom extract" supplement but, after reading previous posts here I am weary to try it.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
it would be interesting to see your nk function before and after the mushroom extract.
Whats the name of the supplement?
Im using beta glucan to try and help immune function now but mainly low neutrophils.
Immunovir slightly increased my nk numbers but now i dont have access to nk function testing.

Nielk

It is.called Lank. It's from his office but when I google it, I can't find it.

SOC

it would be interesting to see your nk function before and after the mushroom extract.
Whats the name of the supplement?
Im using beta glucan to try and help immune function now but mainly low neutrophils.
Immunovir slightly increased my nk numbers but now i dont have access to nk function testing.

I think Dr Klimas uses AHCC to improve NK cell function. It might be worth trying if you haven't already.