• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about possible trial cohort

Lou

Are there other members here that were part of the Incline Village outbreak in 1980's? In 1984 I had an extreme viral infection, much worse than any flu I'd experienced, and afterwards nothing was the same as before. Didn't see Dr. Cheney or Dr. Peterson, in fact didn't see a doctor at all (lived in Tahoe, my then girlfriend lived down the mountains in Placerville, there was a blizzard and I wound up by myself in my bed for a solid week just trying to survive this 'killer' virus).

Saying all this to ask a simple question: if some researchers wished to study surviving Incline Village patients how would they find those that did not see Drs. Cheney or Peterson? Just seems at some point researchers might wish to 'return to the scene of the crime', maybe see who's left standing, how they're left standing.

Boule de feu

Are there other members here that were part of the Incline Village outbreak in 1980's? In 1984 I had an extreme viral infection, much worse than any flu I'd experienced, and afterwards nothing was the same as before. Didn't see Dr. Cheney or Dr. Peterson, in fact didn't see a doctor at all (lived in Tahoe, my then girlfriend lived down the mountains in Placerville, there was a blizzard and I wound up by myself in my bed for a solid week just trying to survive this 'killer' virus).

Saying all this to ask a simple question: if some researchers wished to study surviving Incline Village patients how would they find those that did not see Drs. Cheney or Peterson? Just seems at some point researchers might wish to 'return to the scene of the crime', maybe see who's left standing, how they're left standing.

I'm sorry to say that i have never seen you on this forum, but it is really nice to meet you.
I am curious. How was your life after the virus and how are you doing now?

Bob

Hi Lou,

I think you should contact one of them. I think that they might be very interested in hearing from you, and exploring your case history.

Bob

Lou

Hi Boule de feu,

Thanks. Well, the remainder of the 80's was awful. Until 1988, didn't know a thing about me/cfs other than my own experience of it, a train wreck. Then I caught the ABC 20/20 program outlining the Tahoe outbreak. Strangely, that program was a watermark. I wasn't crazy, and I wasn't alone. The 90's brought improvement, chelation further helped, and just this year I began gcmaf treatment. The treatment has not cured me, but I've tried untold therapies in the past twenty five years and NOTHING compares to the ongoing improvement with gcmaf. Sadly, I don't think it works for everyone.

Thanks, Bob, actually quite awhile back I sent Dr. Cheney's office an email noting my Incline Village connection. Never heard back from them.

Bob

Thanks, Bob, actually quite awhile back I sent Dr. Cheney's office an email noting my Incline Village connection. Never heard back from them.

He may have just missed your message or forgot to reply. I would try emailing again, and email Dr Peterson as well. I would imagine that they keep careful notes about the outbreak, such as how many people were affected, and so I would be surprised if they weren't interested in hearing from you. I'm just guessing here though - I might be wrong.