• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mikowitz accused of manipulating XMRV paper

Andrew

ERV us so busy being cutesy, I miss the point of showing all those colors and brightnesses. I'm not even sure what the claim is, except something about using the same slide twice. But it's presented in such a confusing way, I'm not persuaded.

Waverunner

ERV us so busy being cutesy, I miss the point of showing all those colors and brightnesses. I'm not even sure what the claim is, except something about using the same slide twice. But it's presented in such a confusing way, I'm not persuaded.

I would like to hear some professional talk about using the slides 2 times and if it's really the same slide.

Angela Kennedy

Abbie Smith has a huge conflict of interest in that she openly and emotionally despises the scientist Judy Mikovits, as do her followers.

Conflict of interest. And a very unprofessional demeanour at that!

That's before we get to the allegation and importance to attached to it.

Trine Tsouderos wrote in the Chicago Tribune:

'Patients in online forums reacted swiftly. "I have been a big supporter of WPI, sending them a lot of money whilst having only little. But this is very serious. At best they are incredibly sloppy and disorganized," one person wrote on the Phoenix Rising forum.'

Online forums are places where ME patients express diverse valid views and discuss them (amongst other things).

The quote by Trine illustrates how journalists select only specific quotes that 'fit' the slant of the story the journalist wants to give.

Trine Tsouderos in the Chicago Tribune:

'Retrovirologist Jonathan Stoye, who co-wrote a supportive commentary accompanying the 2009 study, said of the recent events: "It is a tragedy in every respect." '

Oh yeah - positively Shakespearean!

UK Medical Research Council researcher Jonathon Stoye illustrates to what extent ME science has been overtaken by narrative soundbites from government funded researchers, while the cutting edge science has gone out of the window.

And exactly to what extent do we trust our British government funded researchers to advance the bioscience on ME???

Waverunner wrote: "I would like to hear some professional talk ..."

I agree. I would like to hear some valid professional talk from the WPI/Mikovits denigrators.

That ME science is being invidiously misportrayed by a young student with the mentality of a spiteful eight year old playground bully (ERV) should be of real concern to the real science professionals out there (where are you??)

Angela Kennedy

Waverunner wrote: "I would like to hear some professional talk ..."

I agree. I would like to hear some valid professional talk from the WPI/Mikovits denigrators.

That ME science is being invidiously misportrayed by a young student with the mentality of a spiteful eight year old playground bully (ERV) should be of real concern to the real science professionals out there (where are you??)

Yes Wildcat. Spot on.

floydguy

Why anyone would accuse Mikovits of being "too emotional" or "too outspoken" and then go on to commend this girl Abbie Smith is beyond me. Double standards par excellence.

Abbie would appear to be nothing but a suck up to Coffin, Stoye, et al. Maybe she's looking to partner with Alan Dove and have a show "Celebrity Virology Researcher Death Match". First we'll have Mikovits v. Crawley and the winner will take on Coffin. The final match will be with Fauci. Abbie clearly wants to move up to the big time. Where is Truman College anyway? The standards of academia have fallen quite far. I can't believe her discourse is fitting of a PhD candidate.

anciendaze

Did she really say this? Can we bring this to the attention of T.T's employers. God if trash like this is put in print can you imagine whats going on in the background?
You can find the quote in this page by searching for "gigantic". They may also enjoy her characterization of Harvey Alter as Darth Vader in a post tastefully referring to "Scientific Blue Balls" in the title.

You can see real venom in her reaction to the news the attempt to block publication of his work failed. Does this tell you anything about this 'inside source'? You might also ask them about various claims ERV herself has made about how she can perform any number of magic tricks current virologists are not claiming. She just hasn't had time to actually do them and write up the results for publication, just badmouth others in her blog. Don't ask me to supply details, I stopped reading at the point of those references above.

Enid

Gee whiskers - can we stick to science and findings and not the personal animosities/half baked and emotional opinions coming out of it. My own personal interest is solving the condrum ME which blights so many lives - and research findings revealing so many pathologies now.

SOC

You can find the quote in this page by searching for "gigantic". They may also enjoy her characterization of Harvey Alter as Darth Vader in a post tastefully referring to "Scientific Blue Balls" in the title.

You can see real venom in her reaction to the news the attempt to block publication of his work failed. Does this tell you anything about this 'inside source'? You might also ask them about various claims ERV herself has made about how she can perform any number of magic tricks current virologists are not claiming. She just hasn't had time to actually do them and write up the results for publication, just badmouth others in her blog. Don't ask me to supply details, I stopped reading at the point of those references above.

Truman College and Oklahoma University must be so proud of ERV! :rolleyes:

From now on, I plan to include "Abbie Smith, BS Biology Truman College, Phd student at Oklahoma University" whenever I refer to ERV. I'm sure they want the publicity for her valuable :confused: contributions to science information.

ETA: :oops: Apparently it's the University of Oklahoma (OU), not Oklahoma University (or Oklahoma State University or Oklahoma City University or....)

Angela Kennedy

Thanks for putting that link up anciendaze. It really shows how prejudiced ERV and her cronies are. It's one thing to have a potty mouth (who cares?) but it's the level of vicious attack towards Mikovits which is astounding - whether or not obscenity is used.

This has looked like a vendetta from the start, frankly.

citybug

Could the title of this thread be changed? Accused of manipulating a slide talk? Using a slide from the original paper in another discussion.