• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elevated P5P

SJB944

I wonder if anyone else here has high levels of B6 in blood tests (P5P)? And if they found any info about it other than to stop taking B6 supplements - I am taking a small amount of P5P in a B-Complex. But I have also had high levels of P5P when taking non-active B6.

I also take magnesium injections which possibly lowered it previously when not supplementing with B6, but obviously not this time.

Cheers
SJB

dannybex

I wonder if anyone else here has high levels of B6 in blood tests (P5P)? And if they found any info about it other than to stop taking B6 supplements - I am taking a small amount of P5P in a B-Complex. But I have also had high levels of P5P when taking non-active B6.

I also take magnesium injections which possibly lowered it previously when not supplementing with B6, but obviously not this time.

Cheers
SJB

Hola,

I found a thread on the 'braintalk' forums, probably about six months ago, and bookmarked it, labeling the bookmark "High b6 until mb12 repleted at high doses".

I've tried to retrieve the thread, but apparently the forums shut down and then reopened in a new format. I've emailed the guy who runs it to see if he can help me locate the thread...but perhaps your b6 is high because your b12 is too low? I seem to get worse tingling/neuropathy when I take any form of b6, so I'm wondering if that's the situation in my case. I'll let you know what or if I hear back from the other forum.

It is unusual and kind of disturbing as to why some folks seem to have very high b6 levels, even if they're not supplementing. Lots of horror stories online from folks who get neuropathy taking just tiny doses of b6 and/or p5p.

Best,

Dan

p.s. I've also read of others using riboflavin (b2) in this situation -- and the numbness improves.

SJB944

Thanks for this Dan, hope that guy gets back to you.

I'm not sure if B6 agravates my neuropathy, but this low B12 link is interesting.

SJB944

That's great Dan, thanks heaps for this.

Doesn't quite fit, as you say, but is very interesting and relevant.

Does make me lean towards increasing MB12.

Strange part in my case is that I have high blood levels of P5P, and not the inactive version of B6, which suggest I have no problems with conversion rather simply utilisation.

Anyway will cut out B6 for the time being, and make up my own B complex without it.

Be interesting if Fred has any insight on this, if or when he is back online.

Thanks again mate.
SJB