• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Generic Valtrex - Differences?

I've had great success with taking Valacyclovir both the branded medication (Valtrex) and also the generic version from Cipla (Valcivir).

Recently i purchased some generic Valtrex from www.4rx.com thinking it would be the Cipla version, however the tablets they sent me were a product called Genvir which is supposedly the same. However they did not work for me. After a week of taking them my symptoms started coming back with a vengeance. So this either means that the tablets are not effective as other brands or they were fake.

I've read other posts on here from people who have ordered from 4rx.com (hence why i used them) and wondered if they had any similar experiences? or if anyone knows whether different generics are more effective than others? I thought they were all supposed to be the same?

I now request the Cipla brand when i order as these seem to be the most effective generic for me.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I didnt respond to valtrex from 4rx or brand valtrex but did have good results with famvir from 4rx, i have changed to famvir from magicpharma due to better pricing and have had good results from them too. Other meds i have used from 4rx have been good like baclofen, so my experience with them is that i dont think there meds are fake but i have also heard from some others about valtrex not working like other brands. My advice is to try famvir from magicpharma as its better priced and has worked for me as my blood test results have shown
http://www.magicpharma.com/index.php?cPath=33_188&osCsid=dec50c329563c2243e8673ced317aa7e hope this helps.

cheers!!!

Thanks for the replies.

SickofCFS - I've not come across the Mylan and Teva brands. Where do you get these from?

Heapsreal - I've actually tried Famvir in the past and had a similar effect as i did with Valtrex. It works out more expensive than Valtrex which does work for me as long as i get the correct brand by the looks of things, so just keeping everything crossed that they send the Cipla branded tabs as requested. Out of interest what dosage of Famvir do you take?

ukxmrv

That's really interesting ws6an as the same happened to me.

4RX advertised Cipla on their website and I was fine with that. Then out of the blue they sent me another brand instead. I barely noticed as the same colour but after a week I noticed that they weren't working. Contacted 4RX and asked them to supply Cipla instead and they managed to do that until recently.

Every order I place with them I specify Cipla only in an email to them now as well.

I've not tried Famvir.

heapsreal

Thanks for the replies.

SickofCFS - I've not come across the Mylan and Teva brands. Where do you get these from?

Heapsreal - I've actually tried Famvir in the past and had a similar effect as i did with Valtrex. It works out more expensive than Valtrex which does work for me as long as i get the correct brand by the looks of things, so just keeping everything crossed that they send the Cipla branded tabs as requested. Out of interest what dosage of Famvir do you take?
250mg twice a week for famvir. You will find famvir $75 a month at that dosage which i think is quite cheap for antivirals.Quite a few people are taking alot higher doses, im just not sure if those doses are needed as the lower dose has brought my lymphocyte sub sets to within normal range within 12 months.

cheers!!!

That's good to know that the Cipla you ordered from them worked UKXMRV as was getting a bit worried that the pills they supply are not what they should be.

"Contacted 4RX and asked them to supply Cipla instead and they managed to do that until recently."

- Does that mean you have had problems with them supplying Cipla recently. I have specifically asked for Cipla and they have shipped my order but i've been trying to get confirmation that they have shipped the correct ones to no avail. They tell me that they will check with their shipping dept and that they will come back to me but they never do, so just a bit suspcious that they haven't shipped the right ones.

Thats interesting to know Heapsreal about the lower dosing of Famvir working for you. I had always thought that you needed to take higher doses of antivirals for them to work. That said i've had results with lower doses of Valtrex too and have never taken the recommended dose of 4g daily that Dr Lerner suggests. Are you still on the Imunovir/ cycloferon and is it still working for you? I'm going to ask my doctor about this next time i see her as i definately think my immune system needs a boost to deal with this infection!

Thanks

ukxmrv

There was a delay recently but Cipla arrived in the end.

I'd like to find a backup Pharmacy other than Magic as well. One that doesn't need scripts. I am under the care of a reputable doctor but he isn't always around to sign things.

heapsreal

There was a delay recently but Cipla arrived in the end.

I'd like to find a backup Pharmacy other than Magic as well. One that doesn't need scripts. I am under the care of a reputable doctor but he isn't always around to sign things.

http://www.emedoutlet.com/ I have used these guys before with no problems but their antivrals seem very expensive. From my experience magicpharma have the best priced famvir and 4rx have the best priced valtrex.

Something else others might want to considered if valtrex isnt working for them is to maybe try acyclovir from 4rx 800mg x180 tabs for $155 free postage and is better priced then magicpharma acyclovir. 4rx acyclovir is suppose to be made by cipla. I think 800mg twice a day would be a good starting point and should last you 3 months with 180 tabs.

heapsreal

That's good to know that the Cipla you ordered from them worked UKXMRV as was getting a bit worried that the pills they supply are not what they should be.

"Contacted 4RX and asked them to supply Cipla instead and they managed to do that until recently."

- Does that mean you have had problems with them supplying Cipla recently. I have specifically asked for Cipla and they have shipped my order but i've been trying to get confirmation that they have shipped the correct ones to no avail. They tell me that they will check with their shipping dept and that they will come back to me but they never do, so just a bit suspcious that they haven't shipped the right ones.

Thats interesting to know Heapsreal about the lower dosing of Famvir working for you. I had always thought that you needed to take higher doses of antivirals for them to work. That said i've had results with lower doses of Valtrex too and have never taken the recommended dose of 4g daily that Dr Lerner suggests. Are you still on the Imunovir/ cycloferon and is it still working for you? I'm going to ask my doctor about this next time i see her as i definately think my immune system needs a boost to deal with this infection!

Thanks

Hi ws6an, i havent used cyloferon for a few months now, its meant to be used in an on and off type of cyclic manner and lately havent had a need to use it, although probably should order some to keep up my sleeve. Personally unless your doctor is russian, i dont think he would have a clue about cycloferon but maybe print off some of the info i have posted previosly.

As for av dosages, i think many are overkill as quite a few have responded to lower doses like myself, i think improvement is more related to stay on them for a prolonged length of time, not neccassarily dosage related. Multiple high doses are meant for quick replicating viruses like shingles and genital herpes, where ebv and cmv are relatively sloww replicating virus, which is also why we need to stay on av's longer to overcome these viruses. Famvir by the way has a long intracellular life so dosing twice a day should be enough and has been with my experience.

cheers!!!

ukxmrv

Heapsreal, I didn't have any good effects from Acycolvir (from the UK NHS) but Valtrex works for me. No idea why. Not tried Famvir. Would like to try Valcyte but too expensive even for generics.

http://www.emedoutlet.com/ I have used these guys before with no problems but their antivrals seem very expensive. From my experience magicpharma have the best priced famvir and 4rx have the best priced valtrex.

Something else others might want to considered if valtrex isnt working for them is to maybe try acyclovir from 4rx 800mg x180 tabs for $155 free postage and is better priced then magicpharma acyclovir. 4rx acyclovir is suppose to be made by cipla. I think 800mg twice a day would be a good starting point and should last you 3 months with 180 tabs.

Wow that place is ridiculously expensive for Valtrex. I have used www.generic4all.com which seem pretty good, they are a little more expensive than 4rx ($189 for 90 1 Gram tablets) and they do stock Cipla. I paid for EMS shipping and it tok 6 days to reach the UK. Though they quote registered post as around 8 - 10 days which i believe is free.

With regards to acyclovir, there was a trial done a while back that showed it to be fairly innefectual against EBV so i would steer clear. This is Dr Lerners advise as well i believe.

Hi ws6an, i havent used cyloferon for a few months now, its meant to be used in an on and off type of cyclic manner and lately havent had a need to use it, although probably should order some to keep up my sleeve. Personally unless your doctor is russian, i dont think he would have a clue about cycloferon but maybe print off some of the info i have posted previosly.

As for av dosages, i think many are overkill as quite a few have responded to lower doses like myself, i think improvement is more related to stay on them for a prolonged length of time, not neccassarily dosage related. Multiple high doses are meant for quick replicating viruses like shingles and genital herpes, where ebv and cmv are relatively sloww replicating virus, which is also why we need to stay on av's longer to overcome these viruses. Famvir by the way has a long intracellular life so dosing twice a day should be enough and has been with my experience.

cheers!!!

I've done some research and it looks like Imunovir is prescribed here in the UK and whatsmore it is available on the NHS which is even better. Whether it is licensed for EBV/CFS i have no idea but my G.P is usually quite willing to prescribe short doses on an "off label" basis which is how i got started on the Valtrex. In any case its not that expensive to purchase privately so i am happy to purchase myself if she gives me the green light.

Thanks

ukxmrv

Ws6can, I was able to get Imunovor on prescription through the NHS only after a letter from my consultant to my GP.
It's been a battle though when I change GP and PCT and some will do, some won't.

Good luck.

ukxmrv

SOC, Cipla have been making one (Valctye). They did have a tussle in the New Delhi court and I don't know if that is still going on.

Ws6can, I was able to get Imunovor on prescription through the NHS only after a letter from my consultant to my GP.
It's been a battle though when I change GP and PCT and some will do, some won't.

Good luck.

ukxmrv, out of curiousity where abouts are you in the UK and what consultant are you seeing?

http://www.pharmplexdirect.com/imunovir-tablets-500mg-p-3669.html place where you can get immunovir in the UK.
http://www.totaldrugmart.com/drugsearch.asp?strString=Search&txtName=Valgan&submitted=yes The cheapest i have found for generic valcyte, still very expensive.

cheers!!!

Thanks Heapsreal

If anyone is thinking of using Valcyte, please make sure that you consult with your Physician first (as with any treatment). From what i have read it can be quite toxic for some people and have a suppressive effect on the immune system if used for prolonged periods, so you need to be having regular blood work to ensure that you are tolerating it ok. Not one to be self prescribing i think! Though at those prices i don't think many people could afford to!

Thanks

ukxmrv

Thanks for the Valctye link Heapsreal.

I'm under the care of a good doctor when it comes to that drug so know the risks and set up for the monitoring to be done if I ever have the money to buy it.