• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low vitamin B12 levels may lead to brain shrinkage

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Low vitamin B12 levels may lead to brain shrinkage, cognitive problems
September 26, 2011

Older people with low levels of vitamin B12 in their blood may be more likely to lose brain cells and develop problems with their thinking skills, according to a study published in the September 27, 2011, print issue of Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology. Foods that come from animals, including fish, meat, especially liver, milk, eggs and poultry, are usually sources of vitamin B12.

The study involved 121 people age 65 and older living on the south side of Chicago. Their blood was drawn to measure levels of vitamin B12 and B12-related metabolites that can indicate a B12 deficiency. The participants also took tests measuring their memory and other cognitive skills. An average of four-and-a-half years later, MRI scans of the participants' brains were taken to measure total brain volume and look for other signs of brain damage.

Having high levels of four of five markers for vitamin B12 deficiency was associated with having lower scores on the cognitive tests and smaller total brain volume.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-09-vitamin-b12-brain-shrinkage-cognitive.html

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Thank you for this. I just found out today that i'm borderline low. I was already taking 1000 U daily but my GP decided to double this amount.

What are the normal values?

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/forumdisplay.php?49-Detox-Methylation\B12\Glutathione\Chelation\... Start reading.

Seriously, 1000 (iu/mcg?) taken ingested will not give you anything as absorption is low. It has to be at least taken sublingually as a lozenge for an hour or more. :Retro smile:

L'engle

moogle
Please also don't take cyanocobalamin, the typical type of B12 found in most vitamins. The thread 'B-12 The hidden Story' talks about why other forms of B12 are better: methylcobalamin, hydroxocobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. It's worth looking into! Lots of use are seeing some improvements on Freddd's and RichVanK's protocols.

Wonko

Surely this is really, really old news?

B12 deficiency is a known risk factor for cognitive issues resulting from organic brain changes, otherwise known as dementia.

I'm slightly puzzled as to why a new study has been published on it, given it's accepted as medical fact anyway.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Please also don't take cyanocobalamin, the typical type of B12 found in most vitamins. The thread 'B-12 The hidden Story' talks about why other forms of B12 are better: methylcobalamin, hydroxocobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. It's worth looking into! Lots of use are seeing some improvements on Freddd's and RichVanK's protocols.

Also cyanocobalamin, particularly in high doses, can be dangerous. If your detox cycle isn't working properly you can get cyanide poisoning. It happened to a member of this forum.

Sushi