• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IMUNOVIR? vs CYCLOFERON?

I am a newbie here and found this all very confusing.

I have been unable to tolerate both Valcyte (I experienced a manic episode after a several weeks), and Famvir 500 mg three times daily increased my pain levels to UNBEARABLE, even though I am on Fentanyl patches (an opiate) 125 migrograms every other day for migraines that I get 24/7. The pain made me feel that I was taking a POISON. And Dr. K kept urging me to do MORE after not even checking my blood work. It seemed very irresponsible and scary. So I stopped all this medication. I am now back to baseline. And found a box of IMUNOVIR 500 mg tablets #100. The dosage is said to be "50 mg/kg/day, up to a
maximum of 3 gm day, as administered orally in 3 oor 4 divided dosages during waking hours."

THIS SEEMED BEYOND "HERXHEIMER" OR "DIE-OFF REACTIONS, AND I REPORTED THESE DRUG REACTIONS TO THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES THAT SOLD THE DRUGS TO ME.

HAS ANYONE TAKING THIS? IS THIS THE SORT OF DOSAGE INSTRUCTIONS THAT THEY FOLLOWED?
WHAT EFFECTS OR SIDE EFFECTS TO THEY EXPERIENCE?

I ALSO NOTE THERE IS ANOTHER DRUG CALLED CYCLOFERON. IS THIS SIMILAR TO IMUNOVIR?
THOUGHTS? RECOMMENDATIONS?

THANKS. CHLOE

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
cycloferon and immunovir are what they call interferon inducers/immune modulators, so stimulate your immune system to make more interferon. Interferon has direct antiviral properties and also increases natural killer cell function which is one of the common immune abnormalities found in cfs/me people. Immune modulators are also said to be used in a cyclic fashion like 2 months on and one month off as the body can become resistant to there interferon inducing effects.

I have already PM'd you about the antivirals but it is not uncommon for people to get severe die off reactions. The dosage you are on is quite high and many have responded to a lot lower dosages eg 250mg twice a day.

hopefully u get others responding with their experiences.

cheers!!

undcvr

Welcome newbie (noob) hope you find this site useful. I agree with Heaps, the dosage your doctor gave you is very very unusual and is in the toxic range quite frankly. IMO he is mixing it up with Valtrex, which is not a good thing and time for you to move on to a new doctor ...

I have tried Cycloferon and did feel that it helped but got tired of self-flagellating myself every other day with big-assed needles. You can increase interferon and NKC activity in other ways too.

Valcyte is a notoriously sloppy drug so if it doesn't work for you and you get side effects from it that is not unusual either. We really need better DNA nucleoside analogue drugs and hopefully they will come out later this year for Hep C.

Your pain sensitivity pathway is weak and I wonder if this leaves you open to being more sensitive to the side effects of certain drugs, just a thought.

Oh and the 2 drugs are only similiar in their effects and not as chemicals.

searcher

undcvr- Do you have a recommendation for increasing NK cell function? My doctor also wants me to start with valcyte, but I thought it would be beneficial to initially try to increase my NK cell function with immune modulators. But there are so many options- immunovir, cicloferin, LDN, astralagus, mushrooms, etc., that I don't know which one or one(s) to try.

heapsreal

undcvr- Do you have a recommendation for increasing NK cell function? My doctor also wants me to start with valcyte, but I thought it would be beneficial to initially try to increase my NK cell function with immune modulators. But there are so many options- immunovir, cicloferin, LDN, astralagus, mushrooms, etc., that I don't know which one or one(s) to try.

I would just pick between cyclo, immunovir or ldn and see how you go, maybe do a 6 month trial of each, also rotating between them like this will help with any tolerance issues that might occurr. Personally i would do the antivirals first as your viral load is probably too high for your immune system to do anything effective, lowering your viral load first with av's and then reving up your immune system i think is the way to go, also avoid less die off symptoms from your immune systemand potentially your immune system can improve on its own when your viral load comes down too.

cheers!!!

For anyone living in the UK, i have found what appears to be a good source for purchasing Imunovir.

http://www.assetchemist.co.uk/search.php?q=imunovir

They are a UK pharmacy and it appears that you don't need a prescription for this either. Though if you do they can provide you with one for 12. Cost for 100 tablets is 46.96 and postage is 3.95. The best bit is that it should only take a couple of days to reach you.

They do ship worldwide as well and it is 5.45 to europe or 5.95 shipping to the rest of the world.

They also sell Valtrex and generic Valtrex so am going to give them a go for this as have had hit and miss results purchasing through overseas phamacies. I will let you know how i get on.

heapsreal

Can i just say that things like immunovir and cycloferon are but just one arm of treating cfs/me, ie that is they help improve our dysfunctional natural killer cells and can help keep many viruses supressed but our immune system needs help to get these viruses down to start off with and this is where antivirals and antibiotics for bacterial infections come in. These treatments it seems need to be used for long periods as in years and immune modulators like immunovir/cyclo used off and on every few months to keep the immune system going. I think once your on top of many of these infections then we have to start looking at treating hormonal defiencies that many of us have from chronic ongoing stress of cfs/infections, getting our hormones right helps further strengthen our system and ability to recover from exersion etc

its the sum of the parts thats helping people get better not a single bullet. Undr and myself have been attacking this thing from many different angles, which makes sense as theres many different systems going wrong within a cfs person.

cheers!!!

Can i just say that things like immunovir and cycloferon are but just one arm of treating cfs/me, ie that is they help improve our dysfunctional natural killer cells and can help keep many viruses supressed but our immune system needs help to get these viruses down to start off with and this is where antivirals and antibiotics for bacterial infections come in. These treatments it seems need to be used for long periods as in years and immune modulators like immunovir/cyclo used off and on every few months to keep the immune system going. I think once your on top of many of these infections then we have to start looking at treating hormonal defiencies that many of us have from chronic ongoing stress of cfs/infections, getting our hormones right helps further strengthen our system and ability to recover from exersion etc

its the sum of the parts thats helping people get better not a single bullet. Undr and myself have been attacking this thing from many different angles, which makes sense as theres many different systems going wrong within a cfs person.

cheers!!!

Yep i totally agree with you there is no such thing as a single bullet cure and what works for one person does not necessarily work for another. My last major flare up in 2007 i tried many different therapies and treatments, at great expense and great frustration. A/V's were the only thing that i found gave me sustained recovery. However my recovery was accellerated when i combined these with immune boosting supplements. I used Coriolus Versicolor supplements (mushroom extracts) which have been proven to increase NK activity. The short of it was that i recovered and had pretty good health for around 2.5 years until august of this year when i crashed much to my dismay as i thought i was over this bloody awful illness! So am trying to get on top of this as quickly as possible. Having results from the AV's, though not as quickly as i would have liked but then i have never tried taking them in an acute flare before. The next stage is to work on my immune system and i may try something like imunovir as i've not been having as good results from natural supplements.

Thanks

heapsreal

I hope something kicks in soon for you, remember to try and get some good sleep even if medicated which is usually better then cfsers can get drug free anyway.
good luck,

cheers!!!

mellster

Marco
Heaps, I finally received the cycloferon pills, not sure if I a, going to try it out anytime soon though as the LDN seems to be working fine. I was surprised to see the labeling completely in Russian, not sure if I can even decipher the dosage ;) cheers

undcvr

I would suggest LDN first. It is the cheapest and most easily accessible option out there aside from the supplements. I have tried everything you listed except for Immunovir. It is something I plan on trying the home made version of soon.

Go easy and low on the LDN. Rite now I am on 4.5mg of it nightly. It's effects on me are very subtle and I cannot really feel that it works that well on me unless I take it with the Valcyte which I am doing so now but I know many pple whom it has helped either on its own or on combination therapy.

heapsreal

Heaps, I finally received the cycloferon pills, not sure if I a, going to try it out anytime soon though as the LDN seems to be working fine. I was surprised to see the labeling completely in Russian, not sure if I can even decipher the dosage ;) cheers
From my research i used 2 pills every second day on an empty stomache and waited an hour before eating. cyclo is said to raise interferon levels for up to 48 hours from memory. There is a specific dosgae schedule of spacing the doses further and further apart but i thought every second day would be fine as it keeps interferon high for 2 days so need to top up then. Yes, abit daunting when you first get it and everything is written in russian, but from all the stuff i read on it i thought bugger it, im still alive, i suppose i was the test pilot for everyone here, lol. From what i have read it is a commonly used medication in eastern block countries.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

INSTRUCTION
CYCLOFERON ENTERIC-COATED TABLETS , 0.15 g
TRADE NAME: CYCLOFERON.
THERAPEUTIC CATEGORY: Immunomodulating factor (inducer of interferon)
DOSAGE FORM: enteric-coated tablets, 0.15 g.
COMPOSITION:
Acridone acetic acid 0.15 g,
N-methylglucamine 0.146 g.
Adjuvants: methylcellulose, calcium stearate.
PHARMACOLOGICAL PROPERTIES
Pharmacodynamics. Cycloferon is a low-molecular-weight inducer of interferon, which defines
a wide range of its biological activities (antiviral, immunomodulating, anti-inflammatory,
antiproliferative, antineoplastic etc.) The medicine induces high titers of ?- and ?-interferon in
organs and tissues, containing lymphoid elements (mucous of small intestine, spleen, liver, and
lungs), and crosses the blood-brain barrier. Cycloferon is very competent at curing diseases
caused by viruses of tick-borne encephalitis, influenza, hepatitis, herpes, cytomegalovirus,
human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), and various enteroviruses. It amplifies the antibacterial
action of antibiotics used in therapy of acute enteric infection. The medicine acts as
anticarcinogenic and anti-metastatic drug, thus preventing the formation of tumors through the
activation of immune response in organism. Immunomodulating action of Cycloferon is
manifested both as activation of phagocytosis, of cytotoxic T-cells and natural-killer-cells and as
organism immune status correction at immunodeficiency disorders of different genesis.
Pharmacokinetics. When given a maximum permissible dose, the maximum concentration in
plasma is achieved in 2-3 hours; concentration is gradually decreased in 8 hours. In 24 hours
Cycloferon is present only in trace quantity. The half-life of the medicine is 4-5 hours. Thus, the
administration of Cycloferon in recommended doses does not lead to its accumulation in
organism.
INDICATIONS
In adults Cycloferon is recommended during combined therapy of:
- herpes infections,
- acute enteric infection,
- chronic viral hepatitis B and C,
- influenza and acute respiratory infections,
- neural infections (aseptic (serous) meningitis, Lyme disease),
- HIV infection (stages 2A-3B),
- secondary immunodeficiency, associated with chronic bacterial and fungal
infections.
In children over 4 years old Cycloferon is recommended during combined therapy of:
- acute and chronic hepatitis B and C,
- herpes infections,
- preventive treatment and therapy of influenza and acute viral respiratory
infections,
- acute enteric infections,
- combined therapy of HIV infection (stages 2-3B)
ADMINISTRATION AND DOSAGE
Cycloferon is administered once a day half-hour before meal by swallowing it whole.
For adults:
1. In herpes infection the medication should be taken in a single dose of 2-4 tablets on the 1,
2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23 day (3.0-6.0 g, 20-40 tablets per course of treatment). The
therapy should be started early in aggravation of the disease.
2. In influenza and acute respiratory infections the medicine is taken in a single dose of 2-4
tablets on the 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 day (1.5-3.0 g, 10-20 tablets per course of treatment). The
therapy must be started when the first symptoms of infection become obvious. In severe
cases of the disease 6 tablets on the first day of therapy should be taken. Additionally,
symptomatic therapy (antipyretics, analgesics, and expectorants) can be instituted, if
necessary.
3. In chronic viral hepatitis B and C the medicine is taken in a single dose of 4 tablets on the
1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23 day. Should replicating and cytolytic activities of the disease
process persist, then maintenance dose once in every three to five days for 2.5 months
should follow (100-150 tablets per course of treatment). In chronic hepatitis C and mixed
hepatitis the therapeutic cure must be repeated ones or twice one month later upon
completion of the previous course of treatment. Use in combination with interferons and
antiviral preparations is advisable.
4. In combined therapy of enteric infections, following the standard treatment regimen in a
single dose of 2 tablets on the 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 day the treatment in a single dose of 2 tablets on
the 11, 14, 17, 20, 23 day should be instituted (3.0 g, 20 tablets per course of treatment).
5. In neural infections the standard treatment regimen should be instituted in a single dose of
4 tablets on the 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23 day. Then the maintenance dose of 4 tablets
once in every five days for 2.5 months should follow (15.0 g, 100 tablets per course of
treatment).
6. In HIV infection (stages 2A-3B) the medicine must be taken in a single dose of 4 tablets on
the 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23 day. The maintenance therapy should follow up then in a
single dose of 4 tablets once in three to five days for 2.5 months (100-150 tablets per
course of treatment). The course of treatment should be repeated in 2-3 weeks after the
previous course of treatment was completed.
7. In immunodeficiency the course of treatment by the standard regimen - a single dose of 2
tablets on the 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23 day (3.0 g, 20 tablets per course of treatment).
For children:
Cycloferon is administered under the following standard regimen:
Dosage
(mg)
Number of tablets
(single dose)
4 6 150 1
7 11 300 2
over 12 450 3
The second course of treatment is appropriate in 2-3 weeks after the first treatment.
1. In acute viral hepatitis B and C the medicine is taken in above stated doses at intervals of
24 hours (2 administrations), then at intervals of 48 hours (3 administrations), and then at
intervals of 72 hours (5 administrations) (10-30 tablets per course of treatment, age
depending).
2. In chronic forms of hepatitis B and/or C the medication is taken in above stated doses at
interval of 48 hours (50-150 tablets per course of treatment, age depending).
3. In HIV infection (stages 2A-3B) the medication is taken under the standard regimen on 1,
2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20 day and then once in every three to five days for five months.
4. In herpes infections the medication is taken on the 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14 day. The treatment
course length can vary depending on health and clinical status.
5. In acute enteric infections the medication is taken in a single dose on the 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 11
day (6-18 tablets per course of treatment).
6. For express nonspecific prophylaxis of acute respiratory infections and influenza during
the periods of increased incidence rate the medicine is taken in above stated doses on the
1, 2, 4, 6, 8 day followed by 5 more administrations at intervals of 72 hours (10-30 tablets
per course of treatment).
7. In acute viral respiratory infections the medicine is taken in a single dose at intervals of
24 hours. The course of treatment consists of 5-9 administrations.
ADVERSE REACTIONS
Sensitization to any of the components of this preparation is a possibility.
CONTRAINDICATIONS
The medicine is not recommended during periods of pregnancy and lactation. The medicine is
not recommended to persons with uncompensated hepatic cirrhosis.
SPECIAL DESIGNATIONS
In inflammation of the thyroid gland the administration of Cycloferon should be conducted under
endocrinologist supervision.
DRUG INTERACTIONS
Cycloferon is compatible with all the medicines traditionally used in therapy of the above
mentioned diseases (interferons, chemotherapeutic agents etc.).
HOW SUPPLIED
Tablets of yellow or golden-brown color. Each tablet contains 0.15 g of active substance with
enteric coating. Tablets are supplied in blisters by 10 or in bottles by 50. Blisters and bottles are
packed in carbon boxes. Each pack contains 10 or 50 tablets.
STORAGE
The medicine should be stored in dry, light protected place at usual conditions. The medicine
should be stored in places not to be reached by children.
TERMS
Shelf life is 2 years from the date of manufacture.

lartista

Hi every one... I am a Dr. Nancy Klimas' patient living in Italy & Colorado. I started VALTREX early spring 2011 @ 2000 mg per day. It was a magic pill for my HHV-6, though I also have HHV-4 and COXSACKIE active titers too. Dr. Klimas put me on FLUDROCORTISONE (2 months now:headache:), LOW DOSE NALTREXONE (I am still in the building phase and this coming Sunday I will go up too 3 pills for a total of 4.5 mg), and I am on week 2 - day 2 of IMUNOVIR. I have tolerated LD NALTREXONE, VALTREX and FLUDROCORTISONE all after a few weeks... but this IMUNOVIR... :In bed:is killing me. I will stick with it and I will not give in or give up! But anyone have any ideas how long before the poisoning feeling stops???? Then in December I am supposed to be starting OXYMATRINE... is there ever a point where we are doing too much? Francesca:D