• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA Trying to Control Sale of Supplements!

:( Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I've been struggling with CFS since 1993 when I was first diagnosed. I've been very concerned about the news of the FDA trying to regulate nutritional supplements. I'm always trying new supplements to boost my immune system, reading new studies and need access to them to have a halfway decent life. The FDA is trying to set up guidelines for supplements so that any supplement that came out after 1994 would be taken off the shelves. Scary! I'm concerned and angry.

If you want to join me in speaking out I have included a link to a web site where you can contact your congressional rep and tell them the NDI guidelines should be withdrawn and the FDA has no right to tell us what supplements we should have access to. It is the citizens for health web site.

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/750/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8252

Thanks for your help and please contact me with any thoughts about this information or anything else! I've been looking for a support group for a long time so I was happy when I came across this one! Diana

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have a couple of posts about it! I have called every office of my senators and congressemen and the white house. I have sent email and signed a petition. It is critical that we keep our supplements, the only real way we can improve.

barbc56

I want to see supplements regulated. It's about quality control. There have been numerous reports as well as studies showing that what is contained in supplements may not be what is on the label.

It doesn't mean you won't be able to get supplements. Other countries have done this and it's been successful. Not even the cost have risen that much.

In the meantime it is people like Orrin Hatch, who has ties to the supplemental industry, which is a billion dollar industry, especially in Utah where Hatch is from. He is getting rich from this. Utah is the number on state that manufactures supplements.

Supplements will not cure diseases unless you have a documented deficiency. You also have to be careful of some labs that diagnose these "deficiencies" when you really don't have any.

I go with the science. :>)

Sallysblooms

The Pharmaceuticals DO want to make even more money on top of the billions they make yearly and control all supplements. They do not want any competition.

Our doctors, nutritionists and all of us should be free to get our supplements that prevent disease and treat our illnesses. There is no way to describe how much I have improved with them. There is no prescription med to do anything close to what supplements do for millions daily.

Prescriptions have a bad record of side effects. Some scripts are needed for things like antibiotics and we have to be SO careful with them. Chemicals are so hard on the liver and body. We have to have access to all avenues to health. Integrative health uses all.

Most diseases are not a matter of being cured, very few can be cured. It is absolutely crutual to treat symptoms, prevent further illnesses, help our immune system, work with antioxidents, hormone balancing, and supplements to heal the nerves which is important for CFS and POTS.

Science is on the side of supplements. ALA for neuropathy, SAMe for mood, joints, etc, Vit D, C, E, Fish oil, glutathione, Amino acids for n.transmitters, l-carnitine for brain, CoQ10 is well known for heart health and energy,b12, no end to what that and the b vits do, magnesium, all used by doctors and in hosptitals. There are too many to menton. Other countries cannot get what they need. This is always a bad idea.

No one is forced to use them, but many people have to have them. If you have the doctors that have knowledge about them and use them, you understand how you need them. I have no CFS problems because of them.

I hope we all do what we can to remain free to heal and care for our bodies also preventing future illness. We have to depend on ourselves and not think everyone else will do all of the calling an emailing.

PokerPlayer

I want to see supplements regulated. It's about quality control. There have been numerous reports as well as studies showing that what is contained in supplements may not be what is on the label.

It doesn't mean you won't be able to get supplements. Other countries have done this and it's been successful. Not even the cost have risen that much.

In the meantime it is people like Orrin Hatch, who has ties to the supplemental industry, which is a billion dollar industry, especially in Utah where Hatch is from. He is getting rich from this. Utah is the number on state that manufactures supplements.

Supplements will not cure diseases unless you have a documented deficiency. You also have to be careful of some labs that diagnose these "deficiencies" when you really don't have any.

I go with the science. :>)

I'm fine with the quality of jarrow and NOW brands, I highly doubt that the quality would get better enough to make a difference compared to the increase in cost.

Sallysblooms

Yes, there are many great supplements, very well tested for quality. Poker, have you called and emailed to tell them you oppose? I have alerted friends and family. They have been caling and emailing. They all use vitamins and supplements like most Americans.