• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is Paradoxical breathing? what sorts of breathing problems do you have?

November Girl

Over the years, I've had 2 periods of a few months where I took frequent hiccup-like breaths. They were sudden deep gasps for air, as if I'd been very startled.

They weren't every few seconds like hiccups, but maybe several over a 10 minute period. Both times this stopped on its own, but my doc had no explanation for it. Of course, my doc knew very little about CFS, though thankfully enough to diagnose it.

floydguy

Over the years, I've had 2 periods of a few months where I took frequent hiccup-like breaths. They were sudden deep gasps for air, as if I'd been very startled.

They weren't every few seconds like hiccups, but maybe several over a 10 minute period. Both times this stopped on its own, but my doc had no explanation for it. Of course, my doc knew very little about CFS, though thankfully enough to diagnose it.

Paradoxical breathing is just what is suggests...rather than the diaphram going out when taking a breath it goes in. The result for me is very, very shallow breathing. Not sure if it's related but I also have very unusual sleep apnea that CPAP machines can't seem to deal with.

*GG*

Paradoxical breathing is just what is suggests...rather than the diaphram going out when taking a breath it goes in. The result for me is very, very shallow breathing. Not sure if it's related but I also have very unusual sleep apnea that CPAP machines can't seem to deal with.

You might want to ask your Dr about a Variable PAP machine, that is what my Dr prescribed. FYI

GG