• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

THE METHYLATION CYCLE BLOCK

AndrewB

Hello everyone,

Im about to start the simplified treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block.
I did a search for Methylation cycle block to see how many people were on this course
of treatment currently.
Basically, would it be possible for everyone who has tried this approach, good or bad,
to leave me a quick account of your experience with it ?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to me on this.

Andrew

Snapshot-6-1.jpg

AndrewB

Oh just to clarify, these are the items ive ordered, many thanks to rich for his advice ;

1. General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula [2]: Start with tablet and increase dosage as tolerated to 2 tablets daily
2. Hydroxy B12 Mega Drops [3]: 2 drops under the tongue daily
3. MethylMate B [4]: 3 drops under the tongue daily
4. Folinic acid [5]: capsule daily
5. Phosphatidyl Serine Complex [6]: 1 softgel capsule daily

maddietod

First, a few hints. Somebody figured out that it's easier to take the folinic acid in water than to divide the powder into quarters. Rich says this is OK. I got a small dropper bottle, and I squirt in 4 droppers of water per opened capsule. I do 3-4 caps. at a time, and I keep it in the cupboard.

I noticed that when I put the drops directly under my tongue, I went through the bottles much faster than expected. I how put them on a small spoon and lick it off, then transferring it to my cheeks.

I'm just going into my 6th month. I noticed big changes immediately, then my energy settled back to where it had been before. I had obvious detox symptoms intermittently for the first 2 months (sweating, headaches, fluish) So something happened. All of my skin rashes disappeared, but have all come back to prior levels in the past month.

This implies to me that I've hit a roadblock - maybe I'm missing a cofactor. I'm waiting on the results of the methylation panel to figure out what's going on.

Good luck with this!

Madie

suzanne

Hi Andrew,
I was on the simplified protocol for 3 months and nothing changed. I then threw in the towel and 12 months down the track have foud this site and 6 weeks ago started Fredd's protocol where i take methyl folate and methyl b 12 plus co factors. I did not realise that the methyl forms could make such a difference.

I mention this, as if you are not feeling better at 3 months, even Rich suggests that you try the methyl b 12. I wish i had have known this 12 months ago.

It kinda makes sense for me that I need the methyl factors- my dr has said I am an undermethylator and would do better on methyl b12 as i my have genetic reasons why i dont convert readily to the methyl, usable form.

I also had the Yasko genetic testing done 12 months ago when i started a more tailored version of the simplified protocol and could not understand why it did not work. I had no idea that my VDR genetic mutations and MTHFR mutations could account for me neeing the methyl supplements.

I mention this in the hope that you do not just throw it in if the hydroxy does not do it for you. At this 6 week point I am having start up difficulties with the supplements I am n and can nly titrate very slowly but at least i can feel that something is happening to my body- the challenge for me this time around is to be able to get through the months of start up.

I hope this might help you.

I follow Fredd's protocol -- it makes more sense to me. Why take a form of B12 your body cannot use? I have many genetic defects in the methylation cycle and I want to bypass every enzyme there that it is possible to bypass. I follow Fredd's protocol and did notice it take care of insect bite allergies for me. I have always been on a high B vitamin protocol (lifelong) so I am not sure I had as much to straighten out as others. It did bring my high homocysteine right down to normal.

Fredd's protocol does not contain folinic acid, but my genetics say I must take this according to Dr. Roberts (www.heartfixer.com). I was kindof curious why the protocol u r taking includes folinic acid? Fredd seems to think it counteracts with the methylfolate. I use Thorne Basic B with BOTH methylfolate and folinic acid in it. It seems ok to me and I have not noticed any difference when I didn't take folinic acid (I tried AOR B complex which has only methylfolate).

Anyone know what the folinic acid is for??? (sorry, maybe this counts as a highjack...it was unintentional)

maddietod

If you google folic acid, folate, and folinic acid, I think you'll understand why folic acid is problematic. Rich and Freddd use the other 2. I'm not a chemist, and won't say they're interchangeable, but I understand how neither of them causes the problems of folic acid.

So you don't take folinic acid on Freddd's protocol, but you do take folate.

Rich has said to take the folinic acid at the same time as the B12 and MethylmateB. That's all I know about what it does.

If you google folic acid, folate, and folinic acid, I think you'll understand why folic acid is problematic. Rich and Freddd use the other 2. I'm not a chemist, and won't say they're interchangeable, but I understand how neither of them causes the problems of folic acid.

So you don't take folinic acid on Freddd's protocol, but you do take folate.

Rich has said to take the folinic acid at the same time as the B12 and MethylmateB. That's all I know about what it does.
Thanks, that is kindof what I understood about Fredd's protocol (which I follow but you know I've spent a lifetime determining my own protocol so Fredd's is only part of it and I do take folinic acid AND methylfolate). But I read in the new simplified protocol topic that Fredd is saying folinic acid is WORSE than folic acid! Still I personally noticed no difference with or without the folinic acid. I was kindof wondering about the form of folate they add to wheat products.

dannybex

But I read in the new simplified protocol topic that Fredd is saying folinic acid is WORSE than folic acid! Still I personally noticed no difference with or without the folinic acid. I was kind of wondering about the form of folate they add to wheat products.

I think that folinic is worse for him -- and some others as well -- but we're all different genetically -- and you might need it, while it might not be good for other folks depending on their polymorphisms. I'm waiting to get my results...takes forever doesn't it? :)

I doubt they add folinic or any of the active folates to wheat or other products...it's probably the synthetic folic acid.

Best,

Dan

Hi Andrew,

I am on my third attempt at the methylation protocol. I originally played around with both Rich and Freddds and ended up completely debilitated.

I was concurrently on the Myhill protocol with a strict diet and heaps of supplements however, so it is hard to say what was actually making me feel so bad. Im one of those people who seems to be supplement intolerant, and the more things I take the worse I become.

Ten weeks ago I decided to go back to square one with Richs protocol, and have gradually worked my way up to 2 Hydroxy drops and 3 MethylMate B drops. This time, so far so good, and I think Im gaining some benefit. Im considering adding a very low dose of folinic acid soon to see what happens.

Im also working on my severe gut issues, and this undoubtedly has helped me tolerate the methylation supplements better.

I hope this helps and good luck.

All the best,

Sandra

I think that folinic is worse for him -- and some others as well -- but we're all different genetically -- and you might need it, while it might not be good for other folks depending on their polymorphisms. I'm waiting to get my results...takes forever doesn't it? :)

I doubt they add folinic or any of the active folates to wheat or other products...it's probably the synthetic folic acid.

Best,

Dan
Dan(with the ultra-cool-avatar)

I get my genes mapped and it did help me but not as much as I hoped. I have so many genetic defects that I just cannot research them all or make any real sense of it. I had 18 mutations out of 30. Some of them in the methyl cycle are ones with next to no studies against them. Since I have the CBS genetic defect I should have low homocysteine, but mine was high! Try to figure out why and the doctors cannot give you a convincing reason -- just that is what it is. Fredd's protocol took care of it anyway. But I had no big revelations or startup symptoms or much of anything but subtle (yet important results). For instance my homocysteine is now normal and that is great for my heart and also it suggests I am probably making enough methyls to methylate my estrogen and methylated estrogen is being patented as a cure for some cancers! So I may beat the 3 cancers my Aunt lived through with these genes. But I can't claim to note any energy improvements. I have been supplementing forever though...