• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Evidence suggests that retroviruses play role in the pathogenesis of Sjgren syndrome

alex3619

Hi, I have been trying to get the paper for a day or so now, only having the abstract on PubMed. More details would be nice. However, even with the little we have, it is certainly interesting that a disorder which sometimes co-occurs with ME is suspected of being retroviral. What are the odds? Bye, Alex

Hi, I have been trying to get the paper for a day or so now, only having the abstract on PubMed. More details would be nice. However, even with the little we have, it is certainly interesting that a disorder which sometimes co-occurs with ME is suspected of being retroviral. What are the odds? Bye, Alex

It would be helpful if posters actually gave a link to journals not just commentaries: http://w03.arthritis-research.com/content/13/2/212/abstract .The conclusions seem a bit ill focussed: there's no HIV so it must be an unidentified RV !?! Animal models actiually seem to suggest genetic rather than infective processes: http://journals.lww.com/co-rheumato...w_pathways_of_pathogenesis_and_targets.2.aspx

Abstract

Purpose of review: Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and Sjogren's syndrome are chronic inflammatory diseases characterized by the dysfunction of T cells, B cells, and dendritic cells and the production of antinuclear autoantibodies. Here, we evaluate newly discovered molecular and cellular targets for the treatment of SLE and Sjogren's syndrome.

Recent findings: The mammalian target of rapamycin in T and B cells has been successfully targeted for treatment of SLE with rapamycin or sirolimus both in patients and animal models. Inhibition of oxidative stress, nitric oxide production, interferon alpha, toll-like receptors 7 and 9, histone deacetylase, spleen tyrosine kinase, proteasome function, lysosome function, endosome recycling, and the nuclear factor kappa B pathway showed efficacy in animal models of lupus. B-cell depletion and blockade of anti-DNA antibodies and T-B cell interaction have shown success in animal models, whereas human studies have so far failed to accomplish clinical endpoints, possibly due to inadequacies in study design.

Summary: Discovery of novel genes and signaling pathways in lupus pathogenesis offers novel biomarker-targeted approaches for treatment of SLE and Sjogren's syndrome

IVI

alex3619

Hi IVI, this research goes back a decade or two. Retroviruses have frequently been implicated, but so has hep C. It is highly likely that Sjogren's occurs in people with retroviruses, as does Sicca Syndrome (from what I can gather Sicca is the same as Sjogrens for the most part but lacks specific autoimmune antibodies). It is less certain that the retroviruses causes this. It could be from other factors, including opportunistic viruses, and genetics may also play a role as you noted. The retroviral link is not certain, but reverse transcriptase and seeing particles that look like a retrovirus are highly indicative of association. Its just the association/causation idea that has any substantial doubt. Please don't overlook that Sjogren's is quite common in HIV and HTLV. Bye, Alex

PS for an old paper see for example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC499817/pdf/jclinpath00252-0045.pdf

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
IVI, your referenced abstract does not suggest "genetic rather than infective processes" as the cause of Sjogrens, but points to a genetic marker. It does not rule out an infective process.

"The conclusions seem a bit ill focussed: there's no HIV so it must be an unidentified RV" - really? If they were set up to test for HIV but found unidentified retroviral evidence, what do you expect them to say.