• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Time for the Big Talk. How's the CAA doing?

justinreilly

Amp and Speakers

CAA should be our...
amplifier: receiving raw signal (patients' voices), cleaning it up and fine-tuning it, then amplifying it
; and
speakers: projecting it at decision-makers and health-care workers.

Instead it's been generating it's own noise drowning out our voices.

Dolphin

Lapp on exercise, "couch potatoes", etc

Charles Lapp has been involved in writing physician education programs:

http://cfids.org/webinar/lapp-slides.pdf

Sample quote:
Until PWCs learn to make lifestyle changes and set limits on their activity, there is a
tendency to either push ‘n’ crash or to not do anything at all for fear of triggering
symptoms: roller‐coasters and couch potatoes
I think the phrase "couch potatoes" for ill and disabled people is insulting. And I don't think there is much evidence that most people do a lot less than they are capable of.

He seems to have been taken in by the hype of exercise programs - from p.11:

Worst case: couch‐ or bed‐bound
• Evidence: you can and must be active

For this and other reasons, I am not convinced he (and Lucinda Bateman, as explained before) should be in charge of writing the management part of guidelines for ME/CFS.

If you choose to attend them and want their advice on exercise, that is your business but education programs affect "everyone".

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Adding insult to injury, these 3 diseases are slated to get a combined amount of over $32 million :eek: next year in research money from NIH and CFS is slated to only get $5 million- the amount the Whittemore's spent getting WPI going!!!

http://report.nih.gov/rcdc/categories/

It really ticks me off that MALARIA, with 1300 cases in the US last year, all from those who can afford to travel to malarial countries, is going to get $116 million! :Retro mad:

Its unbelievable! That's a great stat by the way - lets keep that around.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Can anyone else see how crazy this is? We have a so-called patient advocate organization (CAA) which doesn't have a basic understanding of the disease...and people are saying we can't do anything about it because it is the only organization we have. This is crazy. Having no organization at all is preferable to having one that HURTS us.

Wilddaisy this is so off the charts its unbelievable; Please modify this post - the CAA knows what CFS is, this is a strategic partnership not an attempt to characterize CFS as a pain disease. By the way a recent study showed that exercise increases pain sensitivity in CFS instead of decreasing it as it does in healthy people. If I was exercise regularly I would be in pain all the time - I assume most people with CFS would as well. Thats what exercise does to me. There's a difference between ranting and critiquing an organization.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Charles Lapp has been involved in writing physician education programs:

http://cfids.org/webinar/lapp-slides.pdf

Sample quote:

I think the phrase "couch potatoes" for ill and disabled people is insulting. And I don't think there is much evidence that most people do a lot less than they are capable of.

He seems to have been taken in by the hype of exercise programs - from p.11:

For this and other reasons, I am not convinced he (and Lucinda Bateman, as explained before) should be in charge of writing the management part of guidelines for ME/CFS.

If you choose to attend them and want their advice on exercise, that is your business but education programs affect "everyone".

As was demonstrated earlier you'll have to throw Dr. Cheney, Dr. Klimas, Dr Enlander, Dr. Bested, Bruce Campbell, Staci Stevens and god knows who else in the 'not capable of writing management guidelines' for CFS in there. They all advocate very small amounts of exercise to keep the body as fit as possible with the confines of the illness.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
with
CAA should be our...
amplifier: receiving raw signal (patients' voices), cleaning it up and fine-tuning it, then amplifying it
; and
speakers: projecting it at decision-makers and health-care workers.

Instead it's been generating it's own noise drowning out our voices.

The CFIDS Association has several times changed its policy in response to Forum members. Do you disagree with that? I would suggest that that would mean that your voice has not been drowned out. Agreed?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Absolutely correct doing anything else is a complete waste of time and money

By the way RNase L dysfunction, HHV6 activation in CFS, Natural killer cell abnormalities, abnormal HRV reading, low cortisol, POTS, metabolic dysfunction (repeat exercise studies), low blood volume, brain atrophy,...I could go on and on were all found in FUKUDA studies..... I wouldn't call those findings a waste of time.

But anyway.....

http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2010/010607.asp

Does the Association support use of the Canadian Clinical Definition for ME/CFS (CCD) published in 2003 by Carruthers, et al.?

The short answer is yes. The long answer is a little more complex. First, it should be noted that the CCD was published in the Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (JCFS), which was never linked to medical indexes like PubMed or MedLine. JCFS is no longer in print. Therefore, this article did not become part of the mainstream medical literature and has received scant attention outside the relatively small field of CFS experts. There has been some discussion among its authors to seek publication in a journal with wider circulation; however, its length, 30+ pages, makes this proposition challenging.

On April 14, 2010, the Association invited Dr. Leonard Jason of DePaul University to deliver a webinar program on the various CFS definitions and their impact on research and care. During that program, he stated that there is an important need to standardize the Canadian criteria and to validate those criteria. He provided an example of how many different ways the cardinal symptom of post-exertion relapse/fatigue/malaise might be queried about and documented by different clinicians/researchers. It is also important to note that many of the lab measures that might be used to operationalize categories of symptoms like immune are not clinically available, such as tests of NK cell cytotoxicity, which can only be reliably obtained from selected university research labs. Similarly, imaging tests, sleep studies, tilt tests, etc., are conducted at centers worldwide using different equipment and different protocols. Comparing results of those tests is not as straightforward as it might seem on the surface. Making specific results from such tests mandatory for diagnosis or inclusion in a study presents important challenges and raises costs in a field that is grossly underfunded. And for individuals seeking diagnosis, access to and cost of extensive testing measures are important considerations.

The current eligibility criteria for the SolveCFS BioBank utilize both the CCD and the 1994 Fukuda definition, although all patients must have post-exertion malaise even though it is not required under the Fukuda definition. The Association also recommended that the American Psychiatric Association take note of the CCD in its written comments submitted on April 1, 2010 in response to feedback on the DSM-5 proposal.

The CFIDS Association is actively working with Dr. Jason to ensure that the clinical questionnaires used for the SolveCFS BioBank will collect meaningful data that can be used to help overcome some of the definition issues that are huge challenges to the field. Having an established research network (as the Association does) and this biobank of blood/tissue samples AND extensive patient clinical information will be an enormous tool for the field and we hope the patient and scientific communities will support it.

Dolphin

As was demonstrated earlier you'll have to throw Dr. Cheney, Dr. Klimas, Dr Enlander, Dr. Bested, Bruce Campbell, Staci Stevens and god knows who else in the 'not capable of writing management guidelines' for CFS in there. They all advocate very small amounts of exercise to keep the body as fit as possible with the confines of the illness.
Well, let's talk specifics:

Dr. Lapp merges CFS and FM. I don't think that is what you want in somebody writing management guidelines on ME/CFS.

Dr. Lapp also says:

• Worst case: couch‐ or bed‐bound
• Evidence: you can and must be active

[..]

The evidence shows that you can and must be active
Can: Physical therapist Lisa Clapp studied interval exercise in 10 patients with CFS … 1
Must: Two analyses of all the literature on the treatment of CFS revealed two predictors of
improvement: 2,3
(1) willingness to make lifestyle changes
(2) a regular activity program

2.Interventions for the Treatment and Management of CFS JAMA 2001 Sep 19;286(11):1360‐1368, P Whiting, AM Bagnall, et al
3.Exercise Therapy for CFS Cochrane Review, 2004: (3):CD003200 M Edmonds, H McGuire, J Price
The people involved in the trials in those reviews weren't severely affected people.

The Whiting review said:
Outcomes such as "improvement," in which participants were asked to rate themselves as better or worse than they were before the intervention began, were frequently reported. However, the person may feel better able to cope with daily activities because they have reduced their expectations of what they should achieve, rather than because they have made any recovery as a result of the intervention. A more objective measure of the effect of any intervention would be whether participants have increased their working hours, returned to work or school, or increased their physical activities.

Basically the evidence isn't very good.

It also said:
It is difficult to draw overall conclusions because very little information was provided on baseline functioning of participants. Different case definitions and inclusion/exclusion criteria were used across the studies, so it is difficult to compare the studies point-for-point and those patients with the most severe symptoms were excluded from many of the studies included in the review.

I can't seem to find the updated 2005 York review but it was the basis of the Chambers 2006 review which said:
The protocols for many clinical studies require patients to attend a clinic for treatment and/or assessment. These conditions may exclude people severely affected with CFS/ME from taking part and hence bias the sample towards those with less severe symptoms. Surveys by patient organizations highlight the fact that those with the worst symptoms often receive the least support from health and social services.58 The balance between effectiveness and adverse effects of interventions may be different in more severely affected compared with less severely affected patients and methods of delivery/doses may need to be different. Research to evaluate the effectiveness of interventions for severely affected patients should be considered a priority. The FINE (Fatigue Intervention by Nurses Evaluation) trial is designed to evaluate a pragmatic rehabilitation therapy delivered by nurses in patients' homes, and hence accessible to severely affected patients.59 This trial is expected to end in 2008.

Basically the evidence isn't there for the severely affected.

You might not have problems with what he advises and assumes is possible for the severely affected, but I and I know others who are severely affected, do.

Dolphin

By the way a recent study showed that exercise increases pain sensitivity in CFS instead of decreasing it as it does in healthy people. If I was exercise regularly I would be in pain all the time - I assume most people with CFS would as well. Thats what exercise does to me.
And yet we have guidelines which as I recall claim exercise will help pain, extrapolating from what happens with healthy people.

Here's another study which found something similar
Pain. 2004 Jun;109(3):497-9.

Exercise lowers pain threshold in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Whiteside A, Hansen S, Chaudhuri A.

Departments of Clinical Physics, Institute of Neurological Sciences, South Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust, Glasgow, UK.

Abstract
Post-exertional muscle pain is an important reason for disability in patients who are diagnosed to have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). We compared changes in pain threshold in five CFS patients with five age and sex matched controls following graded exercise. Pain thresholds, measured in the skin web between thumb and index finger, increased in control subjects with exercise while it decreased in the CFS subjects. Increased perception of pain and/or fatigue after exercise may be indicative of a dysfunction of the central anti-nociceptive mechanism in CFS patients.

R

Robin

I think there's a big difference between advocating "small amounts of exercise" and calling someone a couch potato.

Consider people like myself who are currently 95% bedridden (at times during my up and down cycle) and those who are 100% bedridden such as the late Lynn Gilderdale. People at this level of severity can't do much. Are we couch potatoes?

Like Dolphin points out, I've yet to see evidence that there is a significant portion of people who are avoiding safe levels of activity out of fear. Otherwise, this type of talk shows a lack of understanding about the basics of the illness; as someone who so badly wants to have a more active life I really feel personally insulted by it.

To clear things up, Bruce Campbell's philosophy is one of caution about activity. He actually advocates "underdoing" on good days (which surely goes some of the rhetoric we've seen on this thread). In his own words:

[My] strategy includes: a) taking scheduled rests daily no matter how good I feel; b) keeping daily records of activities and symptoms to help me define my limits and to hold myself accountable for staying within them; c) returning only gradually to my normal routine after a relapse or illness;

He calls it "pre-emptive" resting, or resting when you don't have symptoms:

But I resisted the idea of resting each day regardless of how I felt... [however], resting everyday according to a fixed schedule, not just when I felt sick or tired, was part of a shift from living in response to symptoms to living a planned life. The experience showed me that rest could be used for more than recovering from doing too much; it could be employed as a preventive measure as well.

It's part of his larger overall strategy of pacing.

Finally:

When all else fails, go to bed: There are times when the best course is to surrender to the illness. This... gives me permission to acknowledge that at times I am powerless over the disease and the smartest course is to give in to it.

I doubt he would call anyone a "couch potato". Please don't put him in with Lapp and Levine.

Regarding Dr. Lapp's views on exercise - in 2004, he commented on the Cochrane Review and said it was "horrible" and even went so far as to say that Peter White (one of the Wessely school members) was biased. The commentary can be found at

http://www.prohealth.com/library/bulletinarticle.cfm?ID=5931

Perhaps his views have changed since 2004? Saying that people with ME/CFS "can and must" exercise is a bit much, at least for the sickest patients. I, too, don't like the "couch potato" term. Also, I don't think all patients can be shoehorned into either "push and crash" and "afraid to exercise" types. If I'm on the couch all day, it's because I'm too sick to do anything else. I'd much rather be moving around. Also, how can people with limited ATP due to mitochondrial issues continually increase their activity? You'd have to hit a plateau at some point unless you are actually getting well.

On the other hand, Dr. Lapp isn't telling people to go out jogging - he advocates very very short intervals of activity that stay under the anaerobic threshold. To the extent that he's worried about people getting unneccessarily deconditioned, I would agree with him. But I'm just not convinced that overall exercise capacity can be significantly changed in the absence of something that addresses the underlying disease process (i.e. Ampligen, or maybe antiretrovirals for XMRV+ patients). Time to get back to my couch.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Thanks Dolphin for all the info. I appreciate how much you've looked into this.

I absolutely agree Robin - terrible term - he really is a very nice guy, I don't know why he used such a loaded term. That was a mistake.

Dorothy - On the other hand, Dr. Lapp isn't telling people to go out jogging - he advocates very very short intervals of activity that stay under the anaerobic threshold. To the extent that he's worried about people getting unneccessarily deconditioned, I would agree with him. But I'm just not convinced that overall exercise capacity can be significantly changed in the absence of something that addresses the underlying disease process (i.e. Ampligen, or maybe antiretrovirals for XMRV+ patients). Time to get back to my couch.

I think this is crucial point - nobody is saying that you can exercise your way out of this or engage in vigorous exercise. These are very mild prescriptions; if they can enhance your ability to engage in aerobic exercise at bit -its just a bit. My understanding is that this is about maintaining conditioning as best as possible - no more. In some case thats just doing little arm exercises.

Enjoy your couch.

justinreilly

with

The CFIDS Association has several times changed its policy in response to Forum members. Do you disagree with that? I would suggest that that would mean that your voice has not been drowned out. Agreed?

CAA has made some changes to materials in response to forum comments. I do think our voice is being drowned out by the CAAs much different voice (that has sometimes been modified by our input).

muffin

I liked the NIH.gov funding chart so much I pasted it here...CFIDS bolded

Estimates of Funding for Various Research, Condition, and Disease Categories (RCDC)

Table Published: February 1, 2010

This table displays the annual support level for various research, condition, and disease categories based on grants, contracts, and other funding mechanisms used across the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

At the request of Congress, the NIH embarked on a process to provide better consistency and transparency in the reporting of its funded research. This new process, implemented in 2008 through the Research, Condition, and Disease Categorization (RCDC) system, uses sophisticated text data mining (categorizing and clustering using words and multiword phrases) in conjunction with NIH-wide definitions used to match projects to categories. The definitions are a list of terms and concepts selected by NIH scientific experts to define a research category. The research category levels represent the NIHs best estimates based on the category definitions.

The NIH does not expressly budget by category. The annual estimates reflect amounts that change as a result of science, actual research projects funded, and the NIH budget. The research categories are not mutually exclusive. Individual research projects can be included in multiple categories so amounts depicted within each column of this table do not add up to 100 percent of NIH-funded research.

Consistent with the Administrations emphasis on transparency, a separate column has been added to distinguish FY 2009 actual support funded from American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA) accounts from projects funded by regular NIH appropriations. FY 2010 estimates for ARRA reflect only follow-on commitments related to grants awarded in FY 2009.

The FY 2006 and FY2007 data were produced from a reporting process historically used by NIH. The technical elements of the previous reporting process did not have the ability to produce uniform results and led to wide variability in the way research categories were coded. This process caused inconsistencies in reporting data. RCDC use of data mining improves the consistency and eliminates the wide variability in defining the research categories reported. The table shows historical data for FY2006 and FY2007 and data produced with the new RCDC methodology for FY2007 through FY2009. The FY 2010-2011 estimates are based on RCDC actual data.

Total Number of Research/Disease Areas: 218

Click here for instructions on how to use the data table below.

Research/Disease Areas
(Dollars in millions and rounded) FY 2006
Actual FY 2007
Actual

NIH Historical Method 12/ FY 2007
Actual

NIH Revised Method 12/ FY 2008
Actual FY 2009
Actual

(Non-ARRA) FY 2009
Actual

(ARRA) 13/ FY 2010
Estimated

(Non-ARRA) FY 2010
Estimated

(ARRA) 14/ FY 2011
Estimated
Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome $74 $48 $87 $82 $103 $17 $106 $9 $109
Agent Orange & Dioxin $17 $18 $15 $13 $13 $2 $14 - $14
Aging $2,431 $2,462 $1,879 $1,965 $3,015 $554 $3,093 $363 $3,172
Alcoholism $511 $521 $443 $452 $441 $75 $452 $48 $467
Allergic Rhinitis (Hay Fever) $4 $5 $7 $6 $4 $1 $4 $1 $4
ALS $44 $39 $40 $43 $43 $13 $44 $11 $45
Alzheimer's Disease $643 $645 $411 $412 $457 $77 $469 $58 $480
American Indians / Alaska Natives $155 $141 $159 $142 $169 $19 $173 $6 $177
Anorexia $15 $12 $8 $7 $8 $2 $8 $2 $8
Anthrax $150 $105 $160 $134 $102 $13 $105 $10 $108
Antimicrobial Resistance $221 $269 $209 $228 $251 $52 $257 $24 $265
Aphasia $15 $14 $20 $22 $22 $3 $22 $1 $23
Arctic $17 $19 $25 $22 $28 $6 $29 $1 $29
Arthritis $355 $339 $222 $232 $246 $65 $252 $35 $259
Assistive Technology $182 $184 $192 $215 $249 $43 $256 $26 $262
Asthma $283 $294 $252 $246 $284 $51 $292 $27 $300
Ataxia Telangiectasia $9 $11 $14 $13 $13 $2 $13 $1 $13
Atherosclerosis $337 $347 $468 $460 $495 $112 $508 $91 $522
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) $116 $107 $61 $60 $71 $13 $73 $10 $75
Autism $108 $127 $93 $118 $132 $64 $136 $52 $143
Autoimmune Disease $598 $587 $759 $762 $879 $138 $899 $83 $923
Basic Behavioral and Social Science $1,062 $1,104 $1,119 $1,149 $1,410 $206 $1,447 $129 $1,490
Batten Disease $8 $8 $5 $5 $5 $2 $5 $1 $6
Behavioral and Social Science $3,001 $3,060 $3,157 $3,215 $3,471 $582 $3,562 $401 $3,668
Biodefense 1/ $1,766 $1,735 $1,735 $1,736 $1,755 $213 $1,794 $96 $1,853
Bioengineering $1,546 $1,469 $2,610 $2,853 $3,155 $569 $3,229 $318 $3,318
Biotechnology $9,974 $9,814 $5,344 $5,179 $5,619 $1,051 $5,750 $580 $5,911
Brain Cancer $178 $193 $204 $194 $234 $42 $240 $22 $248
Brain Disorders $4,732 $4,670 $3,592 $3,729 $3,538 $685 $3,630 $450 $3,733
Breast Cancer $718 $707 $729 $726 $722 $111 $741 $47 $765
Burden of Illness $508 $524 $60 $48 $43 $11 $44 $6 $46
Cancer $5,575 $5,643 $5,549 $5,570 $5,629 $1,120 $5,781 $346 $6,036
Cardiovascular $2,349 $2,370 $1,942 $2,027 $2,008 $396 $2,058 $298 $2,115
Cerebral Palsy $18 $16 $30 $28 $21 $4 $22 $2 $22
Cervical Cancer $97 $96 $67 $69 $84 $15 $86 $8 $89
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease $7 $7 $9 $12 $14 $2 $15 $1 $15
Child Abuse and Neglect Research $38 $38 $41 $30 $32 $5 $33 $4 $34
Childhood Leukemia $53 $55 $50 $39 $47 $12 $48 $9 $50
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome $5 $4 $4 $4 $5 $0 $5 - $5
Chronic Liver Disease and Cirrhosis $408 $379 $253 $241 $274 $37 $280 $25 $287
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease $67 $91 $72 $75 $96 $18 $98 $14 $101
Climate Change $50 $47 $4 $4 $4 $2 $5 $2 $5
Clinical Research $8,785 $9,116 $9,862 $9,629 $10,336 $1,854 $10,617 $921 $10,931
Clinical Trials $2,767 $2,949 $3,422 $3,562 $2,966 $485 $3,041 $190 $3,132
Colo-Rectal Cancer $269 $282 $273 $274 $281 $48 $288 $20 $297
Comparative Effectiveness Research + - ** + $194 $246 $199 $162 $205
Complementary and Alternative Medicine $301 $299 $426 $430 $513 $70 $526 $43 $541
Conditions affecting unborn children $103 $110 $81 $81 $95 $8 $97 $4 $100
Contraception/Reproduction $335 $314 $460 $473 $427 $65 $437 $31 $449
Cooley's Anemia $42 $34 $22 $22 $21 $3 $22 $3 $22
Cost Effectiveness Research $143 $155 $50 $49 $52 $16 $53 $14 $55
Crohn's Disease $64 $69 $47 $51 $55 $14 $56 $9 $58
Cystic Fibrosis $85 $82 $78 $90 $86 $13 $88 $9 $90
Dental/Oral and Craniofacial Disease $413 $417 $484 $463 $490 $75 $503 $56 $515
Depression $335 $345 $398 $402 $402 $48 $413 $20 $426
Diabetes 2/ $1,038 $1,037 $1,069 $1,080 $1,030 $121 $1,052 $63 $1,078
Diagnostic Radiology $712 $694 $1,046 $1,095 $976 $206 $1,000 $134 $1,027
Diethylstilbestrol (DES) $8 $6 $5 $4 $4 $1 $4 - $4
Digestive Diseases $1,252 $1,234 $1,460 $1,426 $1,538 $243 $1,577 $137 $1,623
Digestive Diseases - (Gallbladder) $7 $6 $6 $7 $7 $1 $7 - $7
Digestive Diseases - (Peptic Ulcer) $17 $23 $15 $14 $17 $3 $18 $2 $18
Down Syndrome $14 $16 $16 $17 $18 $4 $19 $3 $19
Drug Abuse (NIDA Only) 3/ $990 $1,001 $1,001 $1,007 $1,040 $135 $1,068 $113 $1,102
Duchenne/ Becker Muscular Dystrophy $18 $23 $23 $22 $27 $6 $28 $4 $29
Dystonia $19 $16 $18 $15 $16 $2 $17 $1 $17
Eating Disorders 4/ + - ** + $26 $5 $27 $3 $27
Emerging Infectious Diseases $1,857 $1,816 $1,733 $2,098 $2,080 $307 $2,129 $143 $2,194
Emphysema $17 $21 $30 $29 $28 $11 $29 $9 $30
Endometriosis $12 $12 $12 $15 $15 $2 $15 $1 $16
Epilepsy $103 $105 $145 $145 $128 $21 $131 $15 $135
Estrogen $153 $164 $283 $245 $235 $34 $241 $17 $248
Eye Disease And Disorders Of Vision $705 $714 $800 $796 $862 $129 $933 $61 $956
Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy $2 $4 $3 $3 $3 $2 $4 $1 $4
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome $29 $34 $32 $34 $34 $7 $35 $4 $36
Fibroid Tumors (Uterine) $15 $14 $20 $16 $18 $2 $19 $1 $19
Fibromyalgia $9 $9 $11 $12 $11 $2 $11 - $12
Food Safety $316 $278 $230 $244 $262 $37 $268 $19 $276
Fragile X Syndrome $20 $27 $22 $26 $27 $5 $28 $4 $29
Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) $33 $31 $17 $17 $22 $2 $22 $1 $23
Gene Therapy $356 $325 $250 $249 $221 $28 $227 $18 $233
Gene Therapy Clinical Trials $32 $31 $12 $16 $11 $0 $11 - $11
Genetic Testing $417 $395 $402 $383 $316 $76 $324 $53 $334
Genetics $4,878 $4,878 $7,000 $6,872 $7,278 $1,676 $7,459 $792 $7,676
Global Warming Climate Change $58 $56 $1 $1 $3 $1 $3 $1 $3
Health Disparities 5/ $2,766 $2,744 $2,744 $2,614 $2,806 $434 $2,887 - $2,970
Health Effects of Climate Change $157 $164 $258 $286 $179 $35 $183 $17 $188
Health Services $929 $1,023 $730 $743 $1,102 $316 $1,131 $190 $1,165
Heart Disease $2,087 $2,126 $1,126 $1,217 $1,202 $227 $1,232 $161 $1,267
Heart Disease - Coronary Heart Disease $398 $382 $379 $367 $426 $98 $437 $70 $450
Hematology $1,114 $1,128 $881 $894 $908 $151 $931 $88 $959
Hepatitis $177 $174 $176 $180 $178 $23 $182 $15 $187
Hepatitis - A $3 $2 $6 $6 $4 $0 $4 - $5
Hepatitis - B $36 $42 $53 $53 $51 $6 $52 $2 $54
Hepatitis - C $122 $108 $100 $93 $97 $12 $100 $9 $102
HIV/AIDS 6/ $2,902 $2,906 $2,906 $2,928 $3,019 $319 $3,086 - $3,184
Hodgkin's Disease $21 $17 $12 $16 $26 $1 $27 $1 $28
Homelessness $21 $18 $14 $13 $16 $3 $16 $3 $17
Homicide and Legal Interventions $11 $8 $1 * $2 $1 $2 - $2
HPV and/or Cervical Cancer Vaccines $14 $20 $16 $19 $25 $2 $26 $2 $27
Human Fetal Tissue 7/ $23 $19 ** $40 $41 $22 $42 $18 $43
Human Genome $1,065 $1,099 $1,246 $1,259 $1,775 $566 $1,820 $356 $1,875
Huntington's Disease $48 $53 $49 $51 $57 $12 $58 $7 $60
Hyperbaric Oxygen $2 $2 $3 $4 $3 $0 $4 - $4
Hypertension $395 $390 $231 $263 $266 $41 $272 $29 $280
Immunization $1,438 $1,342 $1,713 $1,734 $1,773 $191 $1,815 $80 $1,870
Infant Mortality/ (LBW) $478 $464 $227 $246 $246 $32 $257 $18 $265
Infectious Diseases $3,132 $3,059 $3,433 $3,575 $3,627 $526 $3,712 $251 $3,822
Infertility $40 $51 $65 $73 $75 $17 $77 $13 $82
Inflammatory Bowel Disease $72 $80 $74 $81 $91 $22 $92 $12 $95
Influenza $207 $271 $280 $204 $316 $46 $327 $13 $337
Injury - Childhood Injuries $28 $27 $28 $26 $33 $3 $34 $2 $35
Injury - Trauma - (Head and Spine) $233 $219 $164 $150 $161 $33 $165 $19 $170
Injury - Traumatic brain injury $85 $82 $73 $59 $71 $15 $73 $8 $75
Injury - Unintentional Childhood Injury $25 $21 $17 $15 $19 $1 $19 - $20
Injury (total) Accidents/Adverse Effects $355 $403 $299 $299 $340 $58 $348 $30 $358
Interstitial Cystitis $25 $23 $10 $10 $11 $1 $12 - $12
Kidney Disease $434 $450 $531 $523 $570 $85 $585 $39 $601
Lead Poisoning $15 $15 $13 $9 $11 $3 $11 - $11
Liver Cancer $88 $90 $103 $89 $94 $12 $96 $7 $99
Liver Disease $450 $423 $589 $562 $572 $79 $587 $48 $603
Lung $978 $1,013 $1,169 $1,211 $1,265 $234 $1,297 $142 $1,335
Lung Cancer $266 $249 $164 $169 $178 $36 $183 $20 $188
Lupus $97 $84 $113 $126 $115 $19 $118 $11 $121
Lyme Disease $24 $22 $26 $22 $25 $5 $25 $3 $26
Lymphoma $170 $158 $186 $193 $184 $22 $188 $13 $194
Macular Degeneration $60 $70 $135 $135 $85 $8 $87 $3 $89
Malaria $98 $104 $112 $132 $110 $11 $112 $6 $116
Malaria Vaccine $35 $36 $31 $32 $34 $3 $35 $2 $36
Mental Health $1,824 $1,853 $2,061 $2,086 $2,129 $382 $2,185 $250 $2,252
Mental Retardation (Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD)) $188 $204 $305 $350 $281 $94 $288 $71 $297
Methamphetamine $45 $45 $66 $67 $69 $13 $70 $13 $72
Mind and Body $136 $133 $571 $567 $494 $90 $507 $75 $521
Minority Health 5/ $2,423 $2,407 $2,407 $2,396 $2,592 $378 $2,667 - $2,743
Mucopolysaccharidoses (MPS) $10 $10 $8 $7 $7 $0 $7 - $7
Multiple Sclerosis $110 $98 $149 $169 $137 $25 $140 $13 $144
Muscular Dystrophy $40 $47 $58 $56 $66 $17 $68 $10 $70
Myasthenia Gravis $9 $6 $10 $9 $9 $3 $9 - $9
Myotonic Dystrophy $7 $8 $9 $9 $9 $4 $10 $2 $10
Nanotechnology 8/ $192 $215 $257 $304 $343 $73 $361 $42 $382
Networking and Information Technology R&D 8/ $423 $507 $959 $911 $1,174 $168 $1,201 $77 $1,235
Neurodegenerative $1,217 $1,166 $1,579 $1,621 $1,553 $262 $1,593 $169 $1,633
Neurofibromatosis $16 $13 $12 $14 $17 $2 $17 $1 $18
Neuropathy $54 $59 $118 $121 $119 $13 $123 $9 $126
Neurosciences $4,830 $4,809 $5,102 $5,224 $5,320 $848 $5,456 $513 $5,605
Nutrition $1,039 $1,075 $1,327 $1,391 $1,400 $205 $1,435 $108 $1,475
Obesity $594 $661 $595 $664 $745 $117 $763 $68 $784
Organ Transplantation $363 $358 $187 $175 $139 $32 $142 $10 $146
Orphan Drug $1,255 $1,158 $653 $645 $441 $118 $453 $55 $467
Osteogenesis Imperfecta $5 $5 $8 $5 $5 $1 $6 - $6
Osteoporosis $169 $164 $167 $183 $198 $21 $203 $10 $209
Otitis Media $17 $15 $20 $18 $15 $7 $16 $2 $16
Ovarian Cancer $102 $103 $89 $96 $102 $13 $105 $6 $108
Paget's Disease $6 $4 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 - $1
Pain Conditions - Chronic $220 $224 $277 $279 $333 $53 $341 $31 $350
Parkinson's Disease $208 $187 $143 $152 $162 $24 $166 $16 $171
Pediatric $3,161 $3,173 $2,622 $2,771 $2,996 $505 $3,073 $308 $3,166
Pediatric AIDS 9/ $276 $262 $262 $241 $227 $20 $233 - $241
Pediatric Research Initiative $141 $171 ** $209 $214 $256 $219 $205 $226
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease $4 $3 $4 $3 $3 $1 $3 $1 $3
Perinatal - Birth - Preterm (LBW) $374 $351 $181 $197 $177 $23 $181 $15 $186
Perinatal - Neonatal Respiratory Distress Syndrome $8 $9 $23 $18 $31 $5 $31 $3 $32
Perinatal Period - Conditions Originating in Perinatal Period $407 $387 $413 $449 $470 $65 $482 $37 $495
Pick's Disease $1 $1 $3 $2 $2 $0 $2 - $2
Pneumonia $145 $132 $105 $93 $108 $15 $110 $8 $114
Pneumonia & Influenza $351 $405 $382 $295 $392 $58 $402 $21 $414
Polycystic Kidney Disease $32 $36 $33 $41 $38 $7 $39 $4 $40
Prevention $6,815 $6,729 $4,596 $4,623 $5,332 $844 $5,465 $475 $5,626
Prostate Cancer $348 $345 $295 $290 $310 $47 $319 $26 $329
Psoriasis $8 $10 $22 $8 $13 $3 $13 $2 $14
Regenerative Medicine $614 $575 $697 $723 $799 $144 $818 $90 $841
Rehabilitation $324 $344 $379 $403 $404 $75 $415 $56 $446
Rett Syndrome $5 $6 $6 $9 $9 $4 $10 $2 $10
Reye's Syndrome $1 $1 $0 $0 $0 $0 - - -
Rural Health $202 $208 $173 $170 $186 $42 $190 $21 $196
Schizophrenia $364 $358 $220 $249 $265 $85 $272 $44 $280
Scleroderma $11 $12 $12 $20 $21 $2 $22 $1 $22
Septicemia $49 $49 $93 $95 $92 $19 $94 $10 $97
Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Herpes $264 $288 $282 $245 $250 $43 $256 $25 $264
Sickle Cell Disease $91 $94 $78 $80 $63 $14 $64 $10 $66
Sleep Research $199 $190 $219 $225 $217 $33 $223 $19 $229
Small Pox $149 $122 $142 $94 $94 $4 $96 $3 $99
Smoking and Health $517 $534 $324 $310 $329 $78 $338 $46 $358
Spina Bifida $11 $9 $14 $15 $14 $3 $14 $2 $14
Spinal Cord Injury $66 $64 $90 $80 $80 $14 $82 $8 $84
Spinal Muscular Atrophy $15 $11 $11 $10 $11 $3 $11 $3 $12
Stem Cell Research $643 $657 $968 $938 $1,044 $187 $1,070 $112 $1,100
Stem Cell Research - Embryonic - Human 10/ $38 $42 $74 $88 $120 $23 $123 $14 $126
Stem Cell Research - Embryonic - Non-Human $110 $106 $120 $150 $148 $29 $151 $10 $155
Stem Cell Research - Nonembryonic - Human $206 $203 $226 $297 $339 $58 $348 $40 $358
Stem Cell Research - Nonembryonic - Non-Human $289 $306 $400 $497 $550 $88 $564 $52 $580
Stem Cell Research - Umbilical Cord Blood/ Placenta $19 $22 $44 $46 $49 $10 $50 $7 $52
Stem Cell Research - Umbilical Cord Blood/ Placenta - Human $16 $19 $38 $38 $42 $9 $43 $7 $45
Stem Cell Research - Umbilical Cord Blood/ Placenta - Non-Human $4 $2 $9 $9 $10 $1 $10 - $11
Stroke $342 $340 $288 $296 $329 $54 $338 $35 $347
Substance Abuse 11/ $1,490 $1,523 $1,636 $1,763 $1,653 $245 $1,697 $180 $1,750
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome $77 $81 $25 $29 $22 $6 $22 $2 $23
Suicide $32 $43 $52 $39 $36 $15 $37 $3 $38
Teenage Pregnancy $21 $16 $24 $21 $23 $5 $23 $3 $24
Temporomandibular Muscle/Joint Disorder (TMJD) $17 $15 $18 $19 $15 $1 $15 $1 $15
Tobacco $515 $536 $325 $311 $331 $78 $340 $46 $360
Topical Microbicides $88 $99 $92 $102 $92 $7 $124 $1 $130
Tourette Syndrome $13 $11 $9 $8 $7 $3 $7 - $7
Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) $35 $43 $50 $44 $43 $4 $44 $1 $46
Transplantation $551 $534 $544 $519 $571 $94 $585 $48 $601
Tuberculosis $150 $166 $188 $142 $189 $27 $195 $14 $199
Tuberculosis Vaccine $22 $17 $23 $18 $15 $3 $15 $2 $16
Tuberous Sclerosis $9 $12 $20 $20 $20 $3 $20 $2 $21
Urologic Diseases $536 $526 $535 $534 $578 $81 $594 $39 $612
Uterine Cancer $28 $22 $24 $16 $25 $4 $26 $3 $27
Vaccine Related $1,449 $1,358 $1,659 $1,632 $1,593 $185 $1,631 $77 $1,680
Vaccine related (AIDS) 9/ $566 $597 $597 $556 $561 $35 $567 - $603
Vector-Borne Diseases $464 $424 $478 $417 $401 $66 $411 $38 $423
Violence Against Women $20 $24 $49 $45 $39 $2 $40 $2 $41
Violence Research $113 $106 $190 $183 $182 $21 $187 $16 $192
Vulvodynia + - ** + $1 $1 $1 $1 $1
West Nile Virus $85 $69 $81 $39 $59 $7 $61 $4 $63
Women's Health 5/ $3,498 $3,470 $3,470 $3,514 $3,725 $506 $3,822 - $3,930
Youth Violence $67 $60 $123 $115 $111 $12 $114 $9 $118

[*] The minimum reporting threshold for a specific disease/condition is $500,000. Reporting of $0 does not indicate that no research is being conducted.
[**] No methodology was identified for RCDC in 2007; therefore there is no data available under the FY 2007 Actual column.
[+] Indicates a new category. Funding support data not available prior to the actual FY 2009 level reported.
1/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. The total amount reported is consistent with reporting requirements for this category to the U.S. Office of Management & Budget (OMB). The project listing does not include non-project or other support costs associated with the annual total for this category. Additional information on this category is available at http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/biodefenserelated/pages/default.aspx.
2/ Includes research funded from the Type 1 diabetes appropriation of $150,000,000. These are project listings only.
3/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. Spending is reported consistent with U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) requirements (Only NIDA). More information on this area is available at http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugpages/.
4/ Reported total for this category encompasses research for anorexia, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorders, and eating disorders not otherwise specified.
5/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. This category assigns project funding according to populations tracked by gender or ethnicity. The databases used to track gender/ethnicity are complex and not currently compatible with the RCDC system.
6/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. These are project listings only and non-project or other support costs associated with the annual total for the category are not included. More information on this area is available at http://www.oar.nih.gov/.
7/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. This category uses a non-standard approach involving subject matter expert reviews of manually collected project listings.
8/ The data provided reflects funding amounts reported by the NIH RCDC process for this category. Actual and estimate levels presented on this site supersede FY 2009-2011 amounts detailed in OMB MAX DE application tables that were based on preliminary FY 2009 funding support information.
9/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. These are project listings only and non-project or other support costs associated with the annual total for the category are not included. More information on the budget associated with the category is available at http://www.oar.nih.gov/. Research reported for this category is also captured under the broader HIV/AIDS category.
10/ Human embryonic stem cell research projects awarded with restrictions may have been included in the FY2009 report.
11/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. This category includes all spending reported under the Drug Abuse category as well as projects categorized under the broader area of Substance Abuse. These are project listings only. More information on this area is available at http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugpages/.
12/ To illustrate the effect of the RCDC methodology change, the table shows a side-by-side comparison of FY 2007 levels produced with the prior method (NIH Historical Method) compared with levels that would have resulted if the new methodology had been implemented (NIH Revised Method). NIH Historical Method figures are considered the official Actual for FY 2007. The NIH Revised Method levels provide for comparability to FY 2008 RCDC actuals.
13/ A separate column added to distinguish FY 2009 actual support funded from American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA) accounts from projects funded by regular recurring NIH appropriations.
14/ FY 2010 estimates for ARRA reflect only follow-on commitments related to grants awarded in FY 2009. Obligations associated with potential exercise of option years for contracts let in 2009 or new contracts as well as award of new competing grants are not included.

flex

with

/QUOTE]

Cort this remark reminds me of the smoker who gave up smoking hundreds of times, he was so good at giving up smoking!

Of course he should never have smoked in the first place, however he did and kept returning to smoking.

He must have been doing something wrong.
Agreed?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
It depends on what your focus is.

First of all I disagree with Justin's assessments of the CAA.

Secondly, even if I did, if I saw a 10 pack a day smoker cut down to 5 packs or one pack I would aknowledge that and encourage them to keep improving rather than ignoring that it happened. Part of it comes down to what you're committed to? Are you committing to fostering a relationship that acknowledges the worthiness of both parties and proceeds in that fashion? Or are you committed to being right that whoever you're dealing with is a 'smoker' or whatever.

It does feel good to be 'right', to be kind of righteous - its a powerful feeling but it just sets up opposing sides and nothing gets done. If I was the CFIDS Association and, after changing several things to accommodate some peoples concerns and then saw that post - I would just throw up my hands.

I would rather form a relationship that treats everybody with respect.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Estimates of Funding for Various Research, Condition, and Disease Categories (RCDC)

Table Published: February 1, 2010

This table displays the annual support level for various research, condition, and disease categories based on grants, contracts, and other funding mechanisms used across the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

At the request of Congress, the NIH embarked on a process to provide better consistency and transparency in the reporting of its funded research. This new process, implemented in 2008 through the Research, Condition, and Disease Categorization (RCDC) system, uses sophisticated text data mining (categorizing and clustering using words and multiword phrases) in conjunction with NIH-wide definitions used to match projects to categories. The definitions are a list of terms and concepts selected by NIH scientific experts to define a research category. The research category levels represent the NIH’s best estimates based on the category definitions.

The NIH does not expressly budget by category. The annual estimates reflect amounts that change as a result of science, actual research projects funded, and the NIH budget. The research categories are not mutually exclusive. Individual research projects can be included in multiple categories so amounts depicted within each column of this table do not add up to 100 percent of NIH-funded research.

Consistent with the Administration’s emphasis on transparency, a separate column has been added to distinguish FY 2009 actual support funded from American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA) accounts from projects funded by regular NIH appropriations. FY 2010 estimates for ARRA reflect only follow-on commitments related to grants awarded in FY 2009.

The FY 2006 and FY2007 data were produced from a reporting process historically used by NIH. The technical elements of the previous reporting process did not have the ability to produce uniform results and led to wide variability in the way research categories were coded. This process caused inconsistencies in reporting data. RCDC use of data mining improves the consistency and eliminates the wide variability in defining the research categories reported. The table shows historical data for FY2006 and FY2007 and data produced with the new RCDC methodology for FY2007 through FY2009. The FY 2010-2011 estimates are based on RCDC actual data.

Total Number of Research/Disease Areas: 218

Click here for instructions on how to use the data table below.

Research/Disease Areas
(Dollars in millions and rounded) FY 2006
Actual FY 2007
Actual

NIH Historical Method 12/ FY 2007
Actual

NIH Revised Method 12/ FY 2008
Actual FY 2009
Actual

(Non-ARRA) FY 2009
Actual

(ARRA) 13/ FY 2010
Estimated

(Non-ARRA) FY 2010
Estimated

(ARRA) 14/ FY 2011
Estimated
Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome $74 $48 $87 $82 $103 $17 $106 $9 $109
Agent Orange & Dioxin $17 $18 $15 $13 $13 $2 $14 - $14
Aging $2,431 $2,462 $1,879 $1,965 $3,015 $554 $3,093 $363 $3,172
Alcoholism $511 $521 $443 $452 $441 $75 $452 $48 $467
Allergic Rhinitis (Hay Fever) $4 $5 $7 $6 $4 $1 $4 $1 $4
ALS $44 $39 $40 $43 $43 $13 $44 $11 $45
Alzheimer's Disease $643 $645 $411 $412 $457 $77 $469 $58 $480
American Indians / Alaska Natives $155 $141 $159 $142 $169 $19 $173 $6 $177
Anorexia $15 $12 $8 $7 $8 $2 $8 $2 $8
Anthrax $150 $105 $160 $134 $102 $13 $105 $10 $108
Antimicrobial Resistance $221 $269 $209 $228 $251 $52 $257 $24 $265
Aphasia $15 $14 $20 $22 $22 $3 $22 $1 $23
Arctic $17 $19 $25 $22 $28 $6 $29 $1 $29
Arthritis $355 $339 $222 $232 $246 $65 $252 $35 $259
Assistive Technology $182 $184 $192 $215 $249 $43 $256 $26 $262
Asthma $283 $294 $252 $246 $284 $51 $292 $27 $300
Ataxia Telangiectasia $9 $11 $14 $13 $13 $2 $13 $1 $13
Atherosclerosis $337 $347 $468 $460 $495 $112 $508 $91 $522
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) $116 $107 $61 $60 $71 $13 $73 $10 $75
Autism $108 $127 $93 $118 $132 $64 $136 $52 $143
Autoimmune Disease $598 $587 $759 $762 $879 $138 $899 $83 $923
Basic Behavioral and Social Science $1,062 $1,104 $1,119 $1,149 $1,410 $206 $1,447 $129 $1,490
Batten Disease $8 $8 $5 $5 $5 $2 $5 $1 $6
Behavioral and Social Science $3,001 $3,060 $3,157 $3,215 $3,471 $582 $3,562 $401 $3,668
Biodefense 1/ $1,766 $1,735 $1,735 $1,736 $1,755 $213 $1,794 $96 $1,853
Bioengineering $1,546 $1,469 $2,610 $2,853 $3,155 $569 $3,229 $318 $3,318
Biotechnology $9,974 $9,814 $5,344 $5,179 $5,619 $1,051 $5,750 $580 $5,911
Brain Cancer $178 $193 $204 $194 $234 $42 $240 $22 $248
Brain Disorders $4,732 $4,670 $3,592 $3,729 $3,538 $685 $3,630 $450 $3,733
Breast Cancer $718 $707 $729 $726 $722 $111 $741 $47 $765
Burden of Illness $508 $524 $60 $48 $43 $11 $44 $6 $46
Cancer $5,575 $5,643 $5,549 $5,570 $5,629 $1,120 $5,781 $346 $6,036
Cardiovascular $2,349 $2,370 $1,942 $2,027 $2,008 $396 $2,058 $298 $2,115
Cerebral Palsy $18 $16 $30 $28 $21 $4 $22 $2 $22
Cervical Cancer $97 $96 $67 $69 $84 $15 $86 $8 $89
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease $7 $7 $9 $12 $14 $2 $15 $1 $15
Child Abuse and Neglect Research $38 $38 $41 $30 $32 $5 $33 $4 $34
Childhood Leukemia $53 $55 $50 $39 $47 $12 $48 $9 $50
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome $5 $4 $4 $4 $5 $0 $5 - $5
Chronic Liver Disease and Cirrhosis $408 $379 $253 $241 $274 $37 $280 $25 $287
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease $67 $91 $72 $75 $96 $18 $98 $14 $101
Climate Change $50 $47 $4 $4 $4 $2 $5 $2 $5
Clinical Research $8,785 $9,116 $9,862 $9,629 $10,336 $1,854 $10,617 $921 $10,931
Clinical Trials $2,767 $2,949 $3,422 $3,562 $2,966 $485 $3,041 $190 $3,132
Colo-Rectal Cancer $269 $282 $273 $274 $281 $48 $288 $20 $297
Comparative Effectiveness Research + - ** + $194 $246 $199 $162 $205
Complementary and Alternative Medicine $301 $299 $426 $430 $513 $70 $526 $43 $541
Conditions affecting unborn children $103 $110 $81 $81 $95 $8 $97 $4 $100
Contraception/Reproduction $335 $314 $460 $473 $427 $65 $437 $31 $449
Cooley's Anemia $42 $34 $22 $22 $21 $3 $22 $3 $22
Cost Effectiveness Research $143 $155 $50 $49 $52 $16 $53 $14 $55
Crohn's Disease $64 $69 $47 $51 $55 $14 $56 $9 $58
Cystic Fibrosis $85 $82 $78 $90 $86 $13 $88 $9 $90
Dental/Oral and Craniofacial Disease $413 $417 $484 $463 $490 $75 $503 $56 $515
Depression $335 $345 $398 $402 $402 $48 $413 $20 $426
Diabetes 2/ $1,038 $1,037 $1,069 $1,080 $1,030 $121 $1,052 $63 $1,078
Diagnostic Radiology $712 $694 $1,046 $1,095 $976 $206 $1,000 $134 $1,027
Diethylstilbestrol (DES) $8 $6 $5 $4 $4 $1 $4 - $4
Digestive Diseases $1,252 $1,234 $1,460 $1,426 $1,538 $243 $1,577 $137 $1,623
Digestive Diseases - (Gallbladder) $7 $6 $6 $7 $7 $1 $7 - $7
Digestive Diseases - (Peptic Ulcer) $17 $23 $15 $14 $17 $3 $18 $2 $18
Down Syndrome $14 $16 $16 $17 $18 $4 $19 $3 $19
Drug Abuse (NIDA Only) 3/ $990 $1,001 $1,001 $1,007 $1,040 $135 $1,068 $113 $1,102
Duchenne/ Becker Muscular Dystrophy $18 $23 $23 $22 $27 $6 $28 $4 $29
Dystonia $19 $16 $18 $15 $16 $2 $17 $1 $17
Eating Disorders 4/ + - ** + $26 $5 $27 $3 $27
Emerging Infectious Diseases $1,857 $1,816 $1,733 $2,098 $2,080 $307 $2,129 $143 $2,194
Emphysema $17 $21 $30 $29 $28 $11 $29 $9 $30
Endometriosis $12 $12 $12 $15 $15 $2 $15 $1 $16
Epilepsy $103 $105 $145 $145 $128 $21 $131 $15 $135
Estrogen $153 $164 $283 $245 $235 $34 $241 $17 $248
Eye Disease And Disorders Of Vision $705 $714 $800 $796 $862 $129 $933 $61 $956
Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy $2 $4 $3 $3 $3 $2 $4 $1 $4
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome $29 $34 $32 $34 $34 $7 $35 $4 $36
Fibroid Tumors (Uterine) $15 $14 $20 $16 $18 $2 $19 $1 $19
Fibromyalgia $9 $9 $11 $12 $11 $2 $11 - $12
Food Safety $316 $278 $230 $244 $262 $37 $268 $19 $276
Fragile X Syndrome $20 $27 $22 $26 $27 $5 $28 $4 $29
Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) $33 $31 $17 $17 $22 $2 $22 $1 $23
Gene Therapy $356 $325 $250 $249 $221 $28 $227 $18 $233
Gene Therapy Clinical Trials $32 $31 $12 $16 $11 $0 $11 - $11
Genetic Testing $417 $395 $402 $383 $316 $76 $324 $53 $334
Genetics $4,878 $4,878 $7,000 $6,872 $7,278 $1,676 $7,459 $792 $7,676
Global Warming Climate Change $58 $56 $1 $1 $3 $1 $3 $1 $3
Health Disparities 5/ $2,766 $2,744 $2,744 $2,614 $2,806 $434 $2,887 - $2,970
Health Effects of Climate Change $157 $164 $258 $286 $179 $35 $183 $17 $188
Health Services $929 $1,023 $730 $743 $1,102 $316 $1,131 $190 $1,165
Heart Disease $2,087 $2,126 $1,126 $1,217 $1,202 $227 $1,232 $161 $1,267
Heart Disease - Coronary Heart Disease $398 $382 $379 $367 $426 $98 $437 $70 $450
Hematology $1,114 $1,128 $881 $894 $908 $151 $931 $88 $959
Hepatitis $177 $174 $176 $180 $178 $23 $182 $15 $187
Hepatitis - A $3 $2 $6 $6 $4 $0 $4 - $5
Hepatitis - B $36 $42 $53 $53 $51 $6 $52 $2 $54
Hepatitis - C $122 $108 $100 $93 $97 $12 $100 $9 $102
HIV/AIDS 6/ $2,902 $2,906 $2,906 $2,928 $3,019 $319 $3,086 - $3,184
Hodgkin's Disease $21 $17 $12 $16 $26 $1 $27 $1 $28
Homelessness $21 $18 $14 $13 $16 $3 $16 $3 $17
Homicide and Legal Interventions $11 $8 $1 * $2 $1 $2 - $2
HPV and/or Cervical Cancer Vaccines $14 $20 $16 $19 $25 $2 $26 $2 $27
Human Fetal Tissue 7/ $23 $19 ** $40 $41 $22 $42 $18 $43
Human Genome $1,065 $1,099 $1,246 $1,259 $1,775 $566 $1,820 $356 $1,875
Huntington's Disease $48 $53 $49 $51 $57 $12 $58 $7 $60
Hyperbaric Oxygen $2 $2 $3 $4 $3 $0 $4 - $4
Hypertension $395 $390 $231 $263 $266 $41 $272 $29 $280
Immunization $1,438 $1,342 $1,713 $1,734 $1,773 $191 $1,815 $80 $1,870
Infant Mortality/ (LBW) $478 $464 $227 $246 $246 $32 $257 $18 $265
Infectious Diseases $3,132 $3,059 $3,433 $3,575 $3,627 $526 $3,712 $251 $3,822
Infertility $40 $51 $65 $73 $75 $17 $77 $13 $82
Inflammatory Bowel Disease $72 $80 $74 $81 $91 $22 $92 $12 $95
Influenza $207 $271 $280 $204 $316 $46 $327 $13 $337
Injury - Childhood Injuries $28 $27 $28 $26 $33 $3 $34 $2 $35
Injury - Trauma - (Head and Spine) $233 $219 $164 $150 $161 $33 $165 $19 $170
Injury - Traumatic brain injury $85 $82 $73 $59 $71 $15 $73 $8 $75
Injury - Unintentional Childhood Injury $25 $21 $17 $15 $19 $1 $19 - $20
Injury (total) Accidents/Adverse Effects $355 $403 $299 $299 $340 $58 $348 $30 $358
Interstitial Cystitis $25 $23 $10 $10 $11 $1 $12 - $12
Kidney Disease $434 $450 $531 $523 $570 $85 $585 $39 $601
Lead Poisoning $15 $15 $13 $9 $11 $3 $11 - $11
Liver Cancer $88 $90 $103 $89 $94 $12 $96 $7 $99
Liver Disease $450 $423 $589 $562 $572 $79 $587 $48 $603
Lung $978 $1,013 $1,169 $1,211 $1,265 $234 $1,297 $142 $1,335
Lung Cancer $266 $249 $164 $169 $178 $36 $183 $20 $188
Lupus $97 $84 $113 $126 $115 $19 $118 $11 $121
Lyme Disease $24 $22 $26 $22 $25 $5 $25 $3 $26
Lymphoma $170 $158 $186 $193 $184 $22 $188 $13 $194
Macular Degeneration $60 $70 $135 $135 $85 $8 $87 $3 $89
Malaria $98 $104 $112 $132 $110 $11 $112 $6 $116
Malaria Vaccine $35 $36 $31 $32 $34 $3 $35 $2 $36
Mental Health $1,824 $1,853 $2,061 $2,086 $2,129 $382 $2,185 $250 $2,252
Mental Retardation (Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD)) $188 $204 $305 $350 $281 $94 $288 $71 $297
Methamphetamine $45 $45 $66 $67 $69 $13 $70 $13 $72
Mind and Body $136 $133 $571 $567 $494 $90 $507 $75 $521
Minority Health 5/ $2,423 $2,407 $2,407 $2,396 $2,592 $378 $2,667 - $2,743
Mucopolysaccharidoses (MPS) $10 $10 $8 $7 $7 $0 $7 - $7
Multiple Sclerosis $110 $98 $149 $169 $137 $25 $140 $13 $144
Muscular Dystrophy $40 $47 $58 $56 $66 $17 $68 $10 $70
Myasthenia Gravis $9 $6 $10 $9 $9 $3 $9 - $9
Myotonic Dystrophy $7 $8 $9 $9 $9 $4 $10 $2 $10
Nanotechnology 8/ $192 $215 $257 $304 $343 $73 $361 $42 $382
Networking and Information Technology R&D 8/ $423 $507 $959 $911 $1,174 $168 $1,201 $77 $1,235
Neurodegenerative $1,217 $1,166 $1,579 $1,621 $1,553 $262 $1,593 $169 $1,633
Neurofibromatosis $16 $13 $12 $14 $17 $2 $17 $1 $18
Neuropathy $54 $59 $118 $121 $119 $13 $123 $9 $126
Neurosciences $4,830 $4,809 $5,102 $5,224 $5,320 $848 $5,456 $513 $5,605
Nutrition $1,039 $1,075 $1,327 $1,391 $1,400 $205 $1,435 $108 $1,475
Obesity $594 $661 $595 $664 $745 $117 $763 $68 $784
Organ Transplantation $363 $358 $187 $175 $139 $32 $142 $10 $146
Orphan Drug $1,255 $1,158 $653 $645 $441 $118 $453 $55 $467
Osteogenesis Imperfecta $5 $5 $8 $5 $5 $1 $6 - $6
Osteoporosis $169 $164 $167 $183 $198 $21 $203 $10 $209
Otitis Media $17 $15 $20 $18 $15 $7 $16 $2 $16
Ovarian Cancer $102 $103 $89 $96 $102 $13 $105 $6 $108
Paget's Disease $6 $4 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 - $1
Pain Conditions - Chronic $220 $224 $277 $279 $333 $53 $341 $31 $350
Parkinson's Disease $208 $187 $143 $152 $162 $24 $166 $16 $171
Pediatric $3,161 $3,173 $2,622 $2,771 $2,996 $505 $3,073 $308 $3,166
Pediatric AIDS 9/ $276 $262 $262 $241 $227 $20 $233 - $241
Pediatric Research Initiative $141 $171 ** $209 $214 $256 $219 $205 $226
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease $4 $3 $4 $3 $3 $1 $3 $1 $3
Perinatal - Birth - Preterm (LBW) $374 $351 $181 $197 $177 $23 $181 $15 $186
Perinatal - Neonatal Respiratory Distress Syndrome $8 $9 $23 $18 $31 $5 $31 $3 $32
Perinatal Period - Conditions Originating in Perinatal Period $407 $387 $413 $449 $470 $65 $482 $37 $495
Pick's Disease $1 $1 $3 $2 $2 $0 $2 - $2
Pneumonia $145 $132 $105 $93 $108 $15 $110 $8 $114
Pneumonia & Influenza $351 $405 $382 $295 $392 $58 $402 $21 $414
Polycystic Kidney Disease $32 $36 $33 $41 $38 $7 $39 $4 $40
Prevention $6,815 $6,729 $4,596 $4,623 $5,332 $844 $5,465 $475 $5,626
Prostate Cancer $348 $345 $295 $290 $310 $47 $319 $26 $329
Psoriasis $8 $10 $22 $8 $13 $3 $13 $2 $14
Regenerative Medicine $614 $575 $697 $723 $799 $144 $818 $90 $841
Rehabilitation $324 $344 $379 $403 $404 $75 $415 $56 $446
Rett Syndrome $5 $6 $6 $9 $9 $4 $10 $2 $10
Reye's Syndrome $1 $1 $0 $0 $0 $0 - - -
Rural Health $202 $208 $173 $170 $186 $42 $190 $21 $196
Schizophrenia $364 $358 $220 $249 $265 $85 $272 $44 $280
Scleroderma $11 $12 $12 $20 $21 $2 $22 $1 $22
Septicemia $49 $49 $93 $95 $92 $19 $94 $10 $97
Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Herpes $264 $288 $282 $245 $250 $43 $256 $25 $264
Sickle Cell Disease $91 $94 $78 $80 $63 $14 $64 $10 $66
Sleep Research $199 $190 $219 $225 $217 $33 $223 $19 $229
Small Pox $149 $122 $142 $94 $94 $4 $96 $3 $99
Smoking and Health $517 $534 $324 $310 $329 $78 $338 $46 $358
Spina Bifida $11 $9 $14 $15 $14 $3 $14 $2 $14
Spinal Cord Injury $66 $64 $90 $80 $80 $14 $82 $8 $84
Spinal Muscular Atrophy $15 $11 $11 $10 $11 $3 $11 $3 $12
Stem Cell Research $643 $657 $968 $938 $1,044 $187 $1,070 $112 $1,100
Stem Cell Research - Embryonic - Human 10/ $38 $42 $74 $88 $120 $23 $123 $14 $126
Stem Cell Research - Embryonic - Non-Human $110 $106 $120 $150 $148 $29 $151 $10 $155
Stem Cell Research - Nonembryonic - Human $206 $203 $226 $297 $339 $58 $348 $40 $358
Stem Cell Research - Nonembryonic - Non-Human $289 $306 $400 $497 $550 $88 $564 $52 $580
Stem Cell Research - Umbilical Cord Blood/ Placenta $19 $22 $44 $46 $49 $10 $50 $7 $52
Stem Cell Research - Umbilical Cord Blood/ Placenta - Human $16 $19 $38 $38 $42 $9 $43 $7 $45
Stem Cell Research - Umbilical Cord Blood/ Placenta - Non-Human $4 $2 $9 $9 $10 $1 $10 - $11
Stroke $342 $340 $288 $296 $329 $54 $338 $35 $347
Substance Abuse 11/ $1,490 $1,523 $1,636 $1,763 $1,653 $245 $1,697 $180 $1,750
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome $77 $81 $25 $29 $22 $6 $22 $2 $23
Suicide $32 $43 $52 $39 $36 $15 $37 $3 $38
Teenage Pregnancy $21 $16 $24 $21 $23 $5 $23 $3 $24
Temporomandibular Muscle/Joint Disorder (TMJD) $17 $15 $18 $19 $15 $1 $15 $1 $15
Tobacco $515 $536 $325 $311 $331 $78 $340 $46 $360
Topical Microbicides $88 $99 $92 $102 $92 $7 $124 $1 $130
Tourette Syndrome $13 $11 $9 $8 $7 $3 $7 - $7
Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) $35 $43 $50 $44 $43 $4 $44 $1 $46
Transplantation $551 $534 $544 $519 $571 $94 $585 $48 $601
Tuberculosis $150 $166 $188 $142 $189 $27 $195 $14 $199
Tuberculosis Vaccine $22 $17 $23 $18 $15 $3 $15 $2 $16
Tuberous Sclerosis $9 $12 $20 $20 $20 $3 $20 $2 $21
Urologic Diseases $536 $526 $535 $534 $578 $81 $594 $39 $612
Uterine Cancer $28 $22 $24 $16 $25 $4 $26 $3 $27
Vaccine Related $1,449 $1,358 $1,659 $1,632 $1,593 $185 $1,631 $77 $1,680
Vaccine related (AIDS) 9/ $566 $597 $597 $556 $561 $35 $567 - $603
Vector-Borne Diseases $464 $424 $478 $417 $401 $66 $411 $38 $423
Violence Against Women $20 $24 $49 $45 $39 $2 $40 $2 $41
Violence Research $113 $106 $190 $183 $182 $21 $187 $16 $192
Vulvodynia + - ** + $1 $1 $1 $1 $1
West Nile Virus $85 $69 $81 $39 $59 $7 $61 $4 $63
Women's Health 5/ $3,498 $3,470 $3,470 $3,514 $3,725 $506 $3,822 - $3,930
Youth Violence $67 $60 $123 $115 $111 $12 $114 $9 $118

[*] The minimum reporting threshold for a specific disease/condition is $500,000. Reporting of $0 does not indicate that no research is being conducted.
[**] No methodology was identified for RCDC in 2007; therefore there is no data available under the “FY 2007 Actual” column.
[+] Indicates a new category. Funding support data not available prior to the actual FY 2009 level reported.
1/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. The total amount reported is consistent with reporting requirements for this category to the U.S. Office of Management & Budget (OMB). The project listing does not include non-project or other support costs associated with the annual total for this category. Additional information on this category is available at http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/biodefenserelated/pages/default.aspx.
2/ Includes research funded from the Type 1 diabetes appropriation of $150,000,000. These are project listings only.
3/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. Spending is reported consistent with U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) requirements (Only NIDA). More information on this area is available at http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugpages/.
4/ Reported total for this category encompasses research for anorexia, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorders, and eating disorders not otherwise specified.
5/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. This category assigns project funding according to populations tracked by gender or ethnicity. The databases used to track gender/ethnicity are complex and not currently compatible with the RCDC system.
6/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. These are project listings only and non-project or other support costs associated with the annual total for the category are not included. More information on this area is available at http://www.oar.nih.gov/.
7/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. This category uses a non-standard approach involving subject matter expert reviews of manually collected project listings.
8/ The data provided reflects funding amounts reported by the NIH RCDC process for this category. Actual and estimate levels presented on this site supersede FY 2009-2011 amounts detailed in OMB MAX DE application tables that were based on preliminary FY 2009 funding support information.
9/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. These are project listings only and non-project or other support costs associated with the annual total for the category are not included. More information on the budget associated with the category is available at http://www.oar.nih.gov/. Research reported for this category is also captured under the broader HIV/AIDS category.
10/ Human embryonic stem cell research projects awarded with restrictions may have been included in the FY2009 report.
11/ Reporting for this category does not follow the standard RCDC process. This category includes all spending reported under the Drug Abuse category as well as projects categorized under the broader area of Substance Abuse. These are project listings only. More information on this area is available at http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugpages/.
12/ To illustrate the effect of the RCDC methodology change, the table shows a side-by-side comparison of FY 2007 levels produced with the prior method (“NIH Historical Method”) compared with levels that would have resulted if the new methodology had been implemented (“NIH Revised Method”). “NIH Historical Method” figures are considered the official “Actual” for FY 2007. The “NIH Revised Method” levels provide for comparability to FY 2008 RCDC actuals.
13/ A separate column added to distinguish FY 2009 actual support funded from American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA) accounts from projects funded by regular recurring NIH appropriations.
14/ FY 2010 estimates for ARRA reflect only follow-on commitments related to grants awarded in FY 2009. Obligations associated with potential exercise of option years for contracts let in 2009 or new contracts as well as award of new competing grants are not included.

That is one of the most effective graphics I've ever seen. Look at all those big numbers surrounding that little number......I'll bet a graphic designer could really do something with that.

flex

smokingKills14000.jpg

Smoking kills!!