• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu/Cold/Allergy Like Symptoms?

Ocean

Hi everyone,

How many here have some of these symptoms as some of their most prominent? For me, flareups mean long-lasting low-grade fever, swollen glands, sore and red throat, flushed and hot and bright pink face, severe nasal congestion and mucus, headache, jaw ache, and facial pain resembling sinus infection pain. Do many others get these types of symptoms?

From what I've read it seems a lot of people get muscle pain and cognitive issues and sleep issues but I don't hear as much about these symptoms that resemble cold, flu, and allergy. (As a side note, I don't get muscle pain, but I do have brain fog and overstimulation issues, severe exhaustion, I'm guessing POTS, sleep problems, and more, especially when flaring. And I've had drastic, severe muscle loss that to me seems like it can't all be explained by inactivity.)

Nielk

Hi everyone,

How many here have some of these symptoms as some of their most prominent? For me, flareups mean long-lasting low-grade fever, swollen glands, sore and red throat, flushed and hot and bright pink face, severe nasal congestion and mucus, headache, jaw ache, and facial pain resembling sinus infection pain. Do many others get these types of symptoms?

From what I've read it seems a lot of people get muscle pain and cognitive issues and sleep issues but I don't hear as much about these symptoms that resemble cold, flu, and allergy. (As a side note, I don't get muscle pain, but I do have brain fog and overstimulation issues, severe exhaustion, I'm guessing POTS, sleep problems, and more, especially when flaring. And I've had drastic, severe muscle loss that to me seems like it can't all be explained by inactivity.)

You're sure your name is not Nielk?

alex3619

Hi Ocean, I used to write about these symptoms a lot, especially prior to actively posting on PR. These are immunological issues, I suspect more often from immunological hormones including cytokines than from active infections.

Two things I know trigger these for me:

1. Any rotting food, including in the fridge. Bacteria in my environment trigger flu-like symptoms. I suspect people with mold in their environment might have the same reaction. Vaccines and real pathogens could also trigger this of course.

2. Excess intake of omega-6 fats, including evening primrose oil, and especially rendered animal fat - some takeaway places use rendered animal fat which always makes me sick fast. The reaction to this fat has a range from severe flu like symptoms to intense pain that collapses me to the floor. Beware of food sellers who recently changed hands.

Bye
Alex

Nielk

Seriously, allergies are a major problem for me and I seem to be allergic or sensitive to almost everything. The result shows up as serious sinus problems and headaches of which I have discussed at length on another thread. The other symptoms that you mention: swollen glands, flushed face, low grade fever, face pain - I suffer from all of it and it gets worse when I'm crashing.
I also have the other issues of sleep problems and muscle aches and cognitive problems but, the issue of constant sinus, congested pain is the one that is the most painful for me. I take antihistamines, decongestants and steroid nasal sprays.
I am seeing now a chiropractor/kinesiologist who does muscle testing to see what the problems are. At first I showed that I was sensitive to everything he was testing me for. He said there must br pathogens that are causing this so for the past six weeks he has found different pathogens like mold, fungus of a few types, bacteria, inhallants, cmv, ebv and he is working ondesensitizing me against these pathogens. It will take time for this to work but I am hopeful.

At times - ok, lately almost all the time the pressure pain of the sinuses and it's accompanied headaches are very very painful. Even taking strong pain killers only dulls it a bit.

ukxmrv

Ocean, the onset of this disease was a upper respiratory infection/virus with sore throat, tonsils, glands and a high fever. I was delirious with it. This occurred regularly for 10 years, then stopped, then restarted and so on.

After the onset of ME I developed allergies to pollen and animals (didn't have that before) and sinus infections have been regular. Also allergies to foods.

A CAT scan showed that a sinus infection was eating through that area and my septum had collapsed. Been taking regular antibiotics, washing the area with anti-fungals but best of all using a Gossan Irrigator to clean out my sinuses with sea salt and tee tree oil. It's a machine with a tube that goes up the nose and it pulses water around the area. Also had EPD for the inhaled allergies.

Ocean

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Alex,
I don't eat animal meat, except occasionally wild fish, so I don't think I'm getting too many Omega 6s? Not sure though. I try to keep my diet pretty healthy and based on whole foods. I've always had allergies, but this definitely feels like something different.

My allergies were always sneezing and sniffling, not being stuffy, and severe facial pain and such. It does feel like it's something with the immune system. For years I thought I was having sinus infections but during a bad flare I got a CT and they said all is clear in that area. I have inflammation in the nose but not sinus. I have done the sinus irrigation a lot since I thought I had sinus problems for so long.

ukxmrv,

I've developed new allergies too, mainly to foods that I could easily tolerate before.

Neilk,

I'll be curious to hear how the desensitizing goes for you. I hope it will work! If so, I may have to look into it. I do okay with those symptoms when I'm not flared up, but when I am the decongestants are pain because they only add to my insomnia and jaw pain and they still aren't enough to really clear my nose. I do the steroid nasal sprays and allergy medicines also.

One really noticeable sign for me of being about to flare is flushing face. As soon as I do an activity or if I'm midflare, my cheeks and nose are bright red and hot.

Thanks everyone.

I don't eat animal meat, except occasionally wild fish, so I don't think I'm getting too many Omega 6s? Not sure though. I try to keep my diet pretty healthy and based on whole foods. I've always had allergies, but this definitely feels like something different.

Omega 6's don't primarily come from meat, but from oils, nuts, and grains. They're necessary to have, but it can be bad if your ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 is too high, since the Omega 6 can interfere with your body using the Omega 3. Omega 3 primarily comes from fish (and fish oil capsules :D ).

ukxmrv

I've not found that Omega 3's, 6'ws or fats have made any difference to allergies and virus type flares (although I have seen doctors who believe this and tried all the obvious things)

We are all different and what works for one way not for another. Very happy to see other people find things that help.

For some strange reason alcohol (esp wine) and ice cream flare up my sinus problems (both easily avoidable of course). At other times I can't see the trigger and diet doesn't make a difference. I just keep washing my sinuses out with the irrigator and that has helped me so much.

Ocean

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Valentijn,
I will look into that more because I eat very little fish compared to nuts, oils, and grains. The symptoms I described seem to be some of my core symptoms that severely worsen when I get a PEM flare. I don't know if diet could still be an explanation for them? Either way sounds like my balance of Omega 3 and 6 is probably off so I have to look into that. And I thought I was eating pretty healthy! Thanks Velentijn. By the way Valentijn, how is having CFS/ME in the Netherlands? Are doctors and others more aware of the realities of the condition?

UXXMRV,

I am the same way with alchohol, it makes all my symptoms worse. I try to avoid dairy also.

SickofCFS,

Thanks so much for that info. Dr. Montoya could be a possibility for me once I stop being housebound, if he's taking new patients. I will definitely read up on that virus when I can. It's not something I've researched yet. I did have a bad case of mono when I was younger, not sure if that has anything to do with all this.

Thanks a lot everyone. I have a few more symptoms questions that I will probably make into a new thread or two.

Cindi

I am thinking these problems occur due to excessive sympathetic nervous system activity resulting in high cortisol which suppresses the immune system. I had these symptoms at first 5-6 years of my illness. I was going crazy of having cold,low grade fever,sweating at almost 364 days of a year.Than as illness progressed immune system problems started getting less,allergies and MCS increased.At this moment I still have immune system related problems but not as much as the first 5-6 years of the illness. I have more Exhaustion and more neurological problems at the moment.

Ocean

Thanks Cindi,

From reading people's experiences it does seem like symptoms often change over time. I'd love to for these symptoms to lessen, but I guess something equally bad or worse could take their place!

As a side note to previous comments, I looked up omega 3 vs. 6 and if I remember right it seems omega 6 is associated with inflammation and that fish give omega 3 acids. I don't think I'm getting much 6 from what I read, but then maybe I don't want to, because I definitely have problems with inflammation.

Waverunner

Hi Ocean,

for me it's the full program, I have flu like, cold and allergy symptoms nearly all of the time, they just differ in strength.

By the way Valentijn, how is having CFS/ME in the Netherlands? Are doctors and others more aware of the realities of the condition?

There are some problems with Dutch psychologists following the Wessely School example, and unfortunately they seem to have some influence in how it is viewed nationally. On the other hand, Dutch people are very pragmatic and seem to have trouble with the voluntary blindness to contrary evidence, so even the pro-CBT/GET psychologists clearly admit a lack of effectiveness of their advocated treatments in some of their studies.

The internist that tentatively diagnosed me knew what ME/CFS is, and that it's quite serious. My GP had no idea what ME/CFS is, and the first thing she read about it suggested sending patients to a psychologist. I didn't try to change her mind, but I insisted that I have a physical disorder, and psychological treatment would be a waste of time. She was willing to send me to a real clinic, instead of the psychologists.

Oddly, most people I know on a more social basis in the Netherlands seem to know what ME/CFS is and/or know of it in relation to a similar disease, and take it seriously. That's very helpful in an emotionally supportive way.

Another big factor is cheap health insurance that covers pretty much everything. I even have a good shot at getting reimbursed by my Dutch insurance for supplements that were prescribed by an American naturopath when I was on vacation back in the US. If they'd been prescribed by a Dutch doctor, it wouldn't even be an issue :p The only downside to becoming moderately disabled while in the Netherlands is that I'm not a citizen yet, and don't qualify for any benefits. But the local integration agency is providing me with free Dutch lessons at home starting in a few weeks, so that's pretty awesome since I had to stop taking the classes at the university due to getting sick every time.

Another great thing is that the country is so flat. It's a completely flat walk to anywhere I need to go. I can't ride a bike, but there are bike lanes literally everywhere (separated from cars usually), and motorized bicycles and electric wheelchairs can use them too. So it's a good place to be disabled. On the other hand, the only one-story living is done in apartments/flats, and there's nasty steep staircases everywhere.

ukxmrv

I've got low cortsol and always have on every saliva or blood test.

The allergy problems (pets, pollen, food etc) was far worse at the start of the disease for me and corresponded with the severest of the viral symptoms.

There's been loads of stuff written and theorised over the years on the TH1/TH2 sides of the immune system.

It does change over time for me but it can also swinge back to an earlier stage and not progess in a straight fashion (and it's been nearly 30 years so far).

Ocean

Cindi,

Do you mind if I ask what type of neurological problems?

Waverunner,

Sounds a lot like me then. Although I actually have had periods of relief from it, but not lately. I just got a fever again even though I've been not active and resting at home for a month now.

UKXMRV,

I had a normal am cortisol test but soon will do a 24 hour test too. Soon as I'm better enough to leave the house. I definitely feel my immune system is involved. But I guess I have no clue what to do about any of it. I thought since activity worsens me so much, I thought inactivity and rest would lead to improvement, at least to get partly out of a flare. And it has helped at times, but this flare it's just not really improving. I guess it is not in my control the way I hoped. And my sleep has been so bad that I think it's affecting my ability to get out of this flare.

Vanetjin,

Thanks for sharing about the Dutch CFS/ME experience. I like hearing about other countries in general and imaging other places from my bed since I won't be going to any of them anytime soon! It sounds like there is a decent amount of support there, and the health benefits sound great. Are you from another part of Europe originally? My favorite artist is Dutch. Well I think you can probably guess who I mean!

Are you from another part of Europe originally? My favorite artist is Dutch. Well I think you can probably guess who I mean!

Nah, I'm from Seattle, but I've been living in the Netherlands about 1 year now. I'd guess your favorite is Van Gogh - the others are pretty boring! You really don't want to know how his name sounds when spoken with a proper Dutch accent. But if you have a long haired cat, you may have a good idea :p

Ocean

Ha ha, Valentijn, about the name :) and yes, it was Van Gogh of course.

So do you have social support there, any family? I would think it would be hard to be sick in a totally different country than where you're from. Were you sick before you went there, or got sick there, if you don't mind my asking.

ETA: I just read your profile so that answered some of my questions!

So do you have social support there, any family? I would think it would be hard to be sick in a totally different country than where you're from. Were you sick before you went there, or got sick there, if you don't mind my asking.

My fiance and his family are very supportive, so that's been great. My mother-in-law has a former co-worker that has FM, plus she's had her own battles with doctors regarding ideopathic pain (which stopped being ideopathic when she found the cause and made them fix it). I also stay in touch with my mother a lot on line, and we chat at least several times per week. And we'll probably end up visiting each other every 6 months or so, which is great.

I moved around a lot in the US when I was a kid, so the strangeness of being in a foreign country doesn't stress me out like it does some people. Plus US culture has influenced things here quite a bit, so it doesn't feel too strange. I suppose the thing that feels the most "off" is the lack of forests and mountains.

I got very sick about six months after moving here, in February. I'd had a virus in January, and started getting PEM a couple weeks after recovering from the virus. I think I've had intermittent PEM episodes over the past ten years, but they were brief, with a recovery after each. I've had signs of vitamin deficiencies and circulatory problems since age 12, in retrospect.

Cindi

Cindi,

Do you mind if I ask what type of neurological problems?

Waverunner,

Sounds a lot like me then. Although I actually have had periods of relief from it, but not lately. I just got a fever again even though I've been not active and resting at home for a month now.

UKXMRV,

I had a normal am cortisol test but soon will do a 24 hour test too. Soon as I'm better enough to leave the house. I definitely feel my immune system is involved. But I guess I have no clue what to do about any of it. I thought since activity worsens me so much, I thought inactivity and rest would lead to improvement, at least to get partly out of a flare. And it has helped at times, but this flare it's just not really improving. I guess it is not in my control the way I hoped. And my sleep has been so bad that I think it's affecting my ability to get out of this flare.

Vanetjin,

Thanks for sharing about the Dutch CFS/ME experience. I like hearing about other countries in general and imaging other places from my bed since I won't be going to any of them anytime soon! It sounds like there is a decent amount of support there, and the health benefits sound great. Are you from another part of Europe originally? My favorite artist is Dutch. Well I think you can probably guess who I mean!

Hi Ocean

Feeling of pressure in head,not being able think,difficulty in decision making. Excessive light and noise sensitivity.I often feel i am at point of going crazy. Best wishes.