• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sensory characterization of somatic parietal tissues in humans with CFS (1996)

Dolphin

Another Italian muscle study where I probably won't be able to contribute much but thought I'd post as I found it interesting and also it doesn't seem to have got much attention:

Sensory characterization of somatic parietal tissues in humans with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Neurosci Lett. 1996 Apr 19;208(2):117-20.

Vecchiet L, Montanari G, Pizzigallo E, Iezzi S, de Bigontina P, Dragani L, Vecchiet J, Giamberardino MA.

Source

Institute of Medical Pathophysiology, 'G. D'Annunzio' University of Chieti, Italy.

Abstract

Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) mainly complain of symptoms in the musculoskeletal domain (myalgias, fatigue).

In 21 CFS patients the deep (muscle) versus superficial (skin, subcutis) sensitivity to pain was explored by measuring pain thresholds to electrical stimulation unilaterally in the deltoid, trapezius and quadriceps and overlying skin and subcutis in comparison with normal subjects.

Thresholds in patients were normal in skin and subcutis but significantly lower than normal (hyperalgesia) in muscles (P < 0.001) in all sites.

The selective muscle hypersensitivity corresponded also to fiber abnormalities at muscle biopsy (quadriceps) performed in nine patients which were absent in normal subjects (four cases):

morphostructural alterations of the sarchomere,

fatty degeneration and fibrous regeneration,

inversion of the cytochrome oxidase/succinate dehydrogenase ratio,

pleio/polymorphism and monstruosity of mitochondria,

reduction of some mitochondrial enzymatic activities and increments of common deletion of 4977 bp of mitochondrial DNA 150-3000 times the normal values.

By showing both sensory (diffuse hyperalgesia) and anatomical (degenerative picture) changes at muscle level, the results suggest a role played by peripberal mechanisms in the genesis of CFS symptoms.

They would exclude the heightened perception of physiological signals from all districts hypothesized by some authors, especially as the hyperalgesia is absent in skin/subcutis.

PMID: 8859904 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

valentinelynx

"Thresholds in patients were normal in skin and subcutis but significantly lower than normal (hyperalgesia) in muscles (P < 0.001) in all sites."

I am surprised at this finding: not about hyperalgesia in muscle tissue but at the lack of it in skin and subcutaneous tissue. In my experience, skin hypersensitivity and even allodynia (pain from light touch or a touch that should not normally elicit pain) is common, and I believe this is a commonly cited symptom of ME as well. I am not so certain about the idea that all painful stimuli are amplified (for example, I still enjoy spicy food) but skin hypersensitivity is definitely a symptom.

"Thresholds in patients were normal in skin and subcutis but significantly lower than normal (hyperalgesia) in muscles (P < 0.001) in all sites."

I am surprised at this finding: not about hyperalgesia in muscle tissue but at the lack of it in skin and subcutaneous tissue. In my experience, skin hypersensitivity and even allodynia (pain from light touch or a touch that should not normally elicit pain) is common, and I believe this is a commonly cited symptom of ME as well. I am not so certain about the idea that all painful stimuli are amplified (for example, I still enjoy spicy food) but skin hypersensitivity is definitely a symptom.

I personally found that striking as well, valentinelynx, since skin hypersensitivity is a core symptom for me, and I was struck by finding so many people here on the forums who have that as well. I'm not sure what the percentages are though, and thanks to the confused and widened definitions of ME, and the lack of research, it's difficult to be confident how common that symptom really is. Personally, I suspect that we are a subset, albeit with lots of other features in common with the rest of ME - and maybe this research just had a cohort (of 21 'CFS' patients) that didn't include us.

Regarding skin hypersensitivity and allodynia, I'm still optimistic about a recent paper on eczema - "Tight junction defects in atopic dermatitis" (PMID 21163515) - which suggests (very roughly) that certain immune deficiencies can cause a collapse of the protective 'tight junction' layer underneath the skin; this also affects the lining of stomach and intestines, and the ear canal as well I think. In eczema there's an additional deficiency in the skin, but for my own skin hypersensitivity this finding sounds like it makes a lot of sense.