• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-cell discovery suggests why women suffer more autoimmune disease

Deatheye

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-08-b-cell-discovery-women-autoimmune-disease.html

Researchers at National Jewish Health have discovered a type of cell that may contribute to autoimmune disease and suggests why diseases such as lupus, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis strike women more frequently than men. The cells, a subset of immune-system B cells, make autoantibodies, which bind to and attack the body's own tissue. The researchers reported in the August 4, 2011, issue of the journal Blood, that they found higher levels of these cells in elderly female mice, young and old mice prone to autoimmune disease, and humans with autoimmune diseases. National Jewish Health has applied for a patent for a method to treat autoimmune disease by depleting these cells.

Not sure if this the right place but since some of the XMRV talk is about B cells I thought I put it in here.

Enid

Thank you both - very interesting indeed - herpes viruses high profile now.

redo

The B cell depleting agent Rituximab have worked on both MS and RA in some studies, so I think it makes sense.

redo

If indeed the B cells are what's causing problems in RA and MS, I guess the natural question is: What makes the B cells act funny. I am guessing a virus has "camped" inside them...

aprilk1869

If indeed the B cells are what's causing problems in RA and MS, I guess the natural question is: What makes the B cells act funny. I am guessing a virus has "camped" inside them...

Some time ago I got the free booklet on probiotics from iherb. In the booklet it says:-

Bacteria actually communicate with B and T cells of the immune system. When bacteria are influenced by antibiotics or the other factors listed previously, the immune system cells don't receive their signal, resulting in breakdown in immune activity.

Abstract http://bloodjournal.hematologylibra...ract?sid=101a7e37-da8e-4049-a4de-85a13cbed3f9

This is a mouse study with only a tenuous linkage to humans "We were able to detect a similar population of B cells in the peripheral blood of some elderly women with autoimmune disease, suggesting that there may be parallels between the creation of ABC-like cells between mice and humans."

IVI

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
There are already quite a number of studies linking B-cell autoimmune activity to certain diseases, so this sort of finding is not unexpected.

IVI - I guess that is why the title is "suggests" and not "shows" or "proves"...

fla

Any study aimed at improving understanding the the underlying mechanisms of auto-immunity are welcome. The NCF's (National CFIDS Foundation) working hypothesis has been that M.E. is an auto-immune condition since 2009 Hokama et al found a 95% hit rate in M.E. patients.

Note this is a human study with only tenuous linkage to mice.

Jemal

Any study aimed at improving understanding the the underlying mechanisms of auto-immunity are welcome. The NCF's (National CFIDS Foundation) working hypothesis has been that M.E. is an auto-immune condition since 2009 Hokama et al found a 95% hit rate in M.E. patients.

Note this is a human study with only tenuous linkage to mice.

Why do I have the feeling this auto-immunity is caused by the immune system targeting viruses, though (viruses we might not be able to detect at the moment)? So many young acquaintances are falling ill with auto-immune disorders (MS, Wegener's granulomatosis, etc), it ain't funny anymore...